• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left-handed Jaeger feasible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a lefty and an admirer of Germanic jaegers, I've tossed around the idea of building one, but was wondering if any leftys here have considered such a project. I don't think there is a left-handed lock available which might be historically correct, and a stock blank seems to be the only offering available which would facilitate a cheek piece on the right side of the stock. Perhaps at 75, I should consider my four lefty rifles and lefty smoothbore a sufficient collection, and just sit back and watch winter.

Well of course it's feasible. I too am a fan of the Jeager.

On the lock, it depends on what period you are talking about. I have a Chambers "Colonial" English lock on mine, because I consider it a "transitional" Jeager, that might have been made sometime before the war, by a German gun maker, using an English style lock. Other "transitional" touches are a toe-plate, and a nose cap, although many Jeagers did have nose caps. Anyhow, that's my Jeager's "persona". A Germanic lock wouldn't be a necessity, I don't think. And there is no doubt in my mind, that even at 75, a man needs a good Jeager rifle.
DSCN0906.JPG

Thanks, Rat, for the reply. That is a fine looking piece you have there! Was the stock pre-inletted for your right-handed lock? I'm not sure Jim Chambers offers a left-handed "Colonial" English lock, but L & R offers a left-handed Queen Anne's lock which is similar. Is the barrel straight or swamped, it looks tapered at the breech, but I can determine if it is swamped at the muzzle.

If I decide to build one, I would like to have a cheek piece on the right side of the stock, and the stock blank seems the only choice at least in the Track of the Wolf catalog I have on hand. How long is your barrel?

Thanks again for your reply, and your rifle looks to be a joy to tote in the deer woods.

Seems like I saw a lock somewhere, the plate or lock face was a square left this way the maker could fashion it in what ever style they needed. Perhaps track of the wolf site. Just a suggestion I always liked the jagers

I have an original Jaeger, where the lock is right handed, but the parch box and cheek piece have been transposed for a left handed shooter. (The cheek piece is on the same side as the lock) That would be a different project!

Well of course it's feasible. I too am a fan of the Jeager.

On the lock, it depends on what period you are talking about. I have a Chambers "Colonial" English lock on mine, because I consider it a "transitional" Jeager, that might have been made sometime before the war, by a German gun maker, using an English style lock. Other "transitional" touches are a toe-plate, and a nose cap, although many Jeagers did have nose caps. Anyhow, that's my Jeager's "persona". A Germanic lock wouldn't be a necessity, I don't think. And there is no doubt in my mind, that even at 75, a man needs a good Jeager rifle.View attachment 1610

Rat, that's a really clean, efficient looking rifle.

That was made for me by Birddog 6, and he let me collaborate on the design, which was really cool. I wanted a very plain jane, rugged rifle for the rough country that I hunt in North Eastern Washington State, near the Canadian border. Although she's built to be tough, I've still never put a dent in the wood, perhaps a couple of very very tiny ones. I hunt deer, elk, black bear, and cougar with it. I also hunt in a Grizzly Bear recovery area, so at least .62 caliber was a must.

On the lock, I'm pretty sure that's what it is, a Chambers, but you know, sometimes my memory is not always perfect. The lock is perfect, and lock-time on that rifle is pretty un-real, fantastic, or shall I say...."fast". :)

"Clean" is a good description! His rifles are usually very fancy, he called this a "working rifle". It has the 31" Colerain swamped barrel, with the "White Lightning" vent liner. Keith made the stock from a blank, and it has cast off. Close my eyes, throw the rifle up to my shoulder, open my eyes and the sights are lined up. It fits me that well. I own some cool firearms, but this rifle is for sure at the top of the heap.

Last edited:
WC121, Thanks for the information I know I seen it somewhere as I am not a builder, it would seem to me you could tweak it to suit your needs if you have the experience.

I wonder if a LH Siler lock kit might be possible to make into a proper lock for a Jaeger?
Again, I don't think a Germanic lock is an absolute requirement...although if one is going for a very specific, early period Jeager, I guess it would be. I've never had anyone point at my Jeager and say: "HEY! THAT'S THE WRONG LOCK!!!" :) But maybe there are those who would. ??

The spectrum of locks found on Jaegers is pretty wide including round-faced locks. There are many left hand locks that have a germanic look right out of the box and with a little file work can readily be made to look a little more old world, including some of the left hand round faced locks available. Do a little searching on the web and you should come up with many examples and this book can be very helpful.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/276/1/BOOK-JR
Good luck, it sounds like a fun project!!!!
Robin

The lef hand Siler is a Germanic lock, so it certainly is reasonable for a Jeager. It is a 1770 s style lock so the rest of the gun should reflect a bit later Jeager style. Jeagers varied greatly due to the region of the Germanic states they were built in. And time period. So the Siler is not a incorrect lock. BJH

B.J.H., All of my flintlocks (5), are equipped with left-handed Silers, and if push comes to shove, I'll use another one for a "Rat-type" jeager. I've needed to have one frizzen replaced over the years, and that was back in my days of competition shooting and re-enacting the Rev. War. I appreciate the suggestion.

Rat, The more I study the photo of your jaeger, the more I like it. And, I would be quite content at this point in life to build something similar with the lock on the opposite side. I started out back in the 70's with a used, right-handed Thompson Center hawken, and "traded up" to a right-handed Hatfield. Because of flinching from those pan flashes in my face, I couldn't hit a barn door from the inside! Left-handed locks solved that flinching, and the family began to eat venison again.

B.J.H., All of my flintlocks (5), are equipped with left-handed Silers, and if push comes to shove, I'll use another one for a "Rat-type" jeager. I've needed to have one frizzen replaced over the years, and that was back in my days of competition shooting and re-enacting the Rev. War. I appreciate the suggestion.

Rat, The more I study the photo of your jaeger, the more I like it. And, I would be quite content at this point in life to build something similar with the lock on the opposite side. I started out back in the 70's with a used, right-handed Thompson Center hawken, and "traded up" to a right-handed Hatfield. Because of flinching from those pan flashes in my face, I couldn't hit a barn door from the inside! Left-handed locks solved that flinching, and the family began to eat venison again.

What caliber are you interested in and barrel length? Contrary to what a lot of people believe. Jeager or Germanic hunting rifles weren’t necessarily short barreled. Your choices are a bit broader than most generally think. BJH

Here's one that just turned up for sale. Good pics. Interesting to me in that it was made by the maker of my RH Jaeger and those are the only two we have seen. And, no one seems to know the maker-but he sure does a fine job.

http://cabincreek.net/revspecs/left-handed-jaeger/

Pete Davis in Virginia
Thanks, Pete! That is a beautiful jaeger rifle, and a winter project is really starting to take form. It is interesting that my first left-handed rifle was a used "Yorktown" model built by Brad Emig of Cabin Creek. Since then, Brad built my .54 cal. "Yorktown", and I used his kit to build my 24 gauge fowler. You won't meet a finer gentleman!

I readily agree, the builder of your jaeger and the one picture is certainly a fine builder, and you must be proud to tote yours.

B.J.H., I'm thinking I'd want a swamped barreled .54 or.58 in 31" or 36". I guess I was hung up mostly on lock choices since the ones usually seen on right-handed jaegers have such a pronounced shape. I've always been satisfied with my Siler locks, and like the larger Queen Anne's English lock as a possible alternative. I could live without a cheek piece, but have always liked the sweep of the jaeger styled cheek. We're talking "bucket list" stuff here, but the bucket is at least visible from here.:)

Back