• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving gun charged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets start at the beginning...you made a negative reply to my previous post where I used an analogy between unloading a modern rifle of it's shells and not unloading a ML...you said it was flawed logic, used the cute little rolling eyes icon, etc, etc. In fact, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion that I was referring to safety when all I was referring to was the time element difference bewteen removing modern shells vs. pulling a load.

That's one.

Now you've reacted to my response in which I used smiley icons, etc...and challenged "what you said"

So this is what you said:

"...I just got done pulling the ball and powder, which took me more then 5 minutes, not 90 seconds, which is why i normally shoot off my load then clean..."

The conclusion drawn from that statement is that instead of spending 5 minutes to pull a ball, you'd rather shoot and clean your ML...which implies that it's easier and faster to do that than it is to spend even your lengthy 5 miniutes to pull the ball.

That's two.

As far as your negative comment about this board being as bad as others you visit...it seems to me the common denominator to all the boards you vist and have problems with is crystal clear.

roundball said:
Lets start at the beginning...you made a negative reply to my previous post where I used an analogy between unloading a modern rifle of it's shells and not unloading a ML...I guess disagreing is now negative??

you said it was flawed logic, used the cute little rolling eyes icon, etc, etc. Actually it was this one :youcrazy:

In fact, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion that I was referring to safety when all I was referring to was the time element difference bewteen removing modern shells vs. pulling a load.Which is again apples to oranges in my opinion, because of the ability of a ML to be able to remove the cap, rendering the ML unable to be fired.

That's one.One what?

Now you've reacted to my response in which I used smiley icons, etc...and challenged "what you said"

So this is what you said:

"...I just got done pulling the ball and powder, which took me more then 5 minutes, not 90 seconds, which is why i normally shoot off my load then clean..."

The conclusion drawn from that statement is that instead of spending 5 minutes to pull a ball, you'd rather shoot and clean your ML...which implies that it's easier and faster to do that than it is to spend even your lengthy 5 miniutes to pull the ball.It is easier and faster to shoot the ball to get it out, I never mentioned anything about cleaning(except I would clean after the ball was removed by whatever meathod) as I would use the same cleaning regiment after pulling a ball so cleaning is not an issue.

That's two.

As far as your negative comment about this board being as bad as others you visit...it seems to me the common denominator to all the boards you vist and have problems with is crystal clear.
Sticks and stones my friend. So I guess anyone that disagrees is a trouble maker huh?

I did not mean to offend anyone by posting my opinion as far as the first post goes. If you wish to continue this conversation, since it is getting WAY OT, feel free to IM me as I'm not wasting any more posts here continuing this.

I loaded one of mine up Fri. night to hunt Sat. will leave it loaded till I get a shot or think it might not go off due to moisture. I will be camping/hunting starting this Fri. for a couple of months and only hunting in a heavy rain will put doubts in my mind far as it getting wet. Even after doing that and shooting it to clean, it has never failed yet to fire.
I've left them loaded for two yrs with no bad results. Don't like to clean guns.

Am I the only one that folds up a cotton cleaning patch and places it over the vent then close the frizzen on top of that after a days hunt? Look if you've done your job right loading the gun and weather isn't bad, theres no need to discharge the load every night. Nothing against the guys who do. If you choose to do that fine. It's just something I don't think I need to do. :v

Put some rubbing alcohol on that cleaning patch, and it will evaporate any moisture out of the chamber through the vent hole overnight, too.

An excellent suggestion Paul!
Here is my two cent's worth:If you in fact, have a need to leave your rifle loaded for a length of time, there are many good suggestions on how to do it safely in this string, but bear this in mind, and I say this because I'm a machinest and custom knifemaker who lives in a "very" moisture laden climate(average 15 inches rain a month), blackpowder is good at drawing moister, and I know there are many who leave theirs loaded for extended lengths of time and find no adverse affects, but one thing I did notice is their specific scenario's is that they did not take the gun outside for any length of time or at all before storing it, so here's the deal, most of the moisture introduced to that load that does the corroding comes from either the moisture in the outdoor atmoshere, or the barrel was taken outside where the temp was below 64 degrees and allowed to aclimate, and then brought inside to temps above 64 degrees causing condensation. my shop has a lot of machines that have clean ground surfaces that need to stay that way to functin properly, and I do that by keeping the temp right at 64 degrees and I have no worries, anything below that and in short time light corrosion begins to show up. So if you must(or just want to) leave a loaded ML inside, do everything you can to keep the temp stabalized and above 64. If you take it outside long enough to drop the temp of the barrel below that 64, and then bring it in loaded and store it warmer, your going to get corrosion. Back in the days when folks needed to leave a loaded ML on hand, they only did so out of needs of the time or circumstance, why should we be any different? If it's just cause we CAN, or cause someone tells us we shouldn't, that's something everyone as an individual has to deal with themselves. I personally don't leave mine loaded from one day to the next because of where I live, and cause of my kid, and the fact that I have a modern firearm at the semi-ready for protection. They say you cant take them with ya, but by God, I'll be buried with my smokepole, loaded and ready if i can! WES

My fusil has been loaded for over two weeks and I just looked down the bore with a flashlight and bannged the buttpleate on the floor while doing so( set it at half cock and dropped the frizzen to check if it would hold first) and everything look clean and tight, I also tried to blow down the bore but could not so I think there is still a good seal from the patch to barrel, I bet it will go off when I drop the flint on the steel, and shoe no damaged to the bore.

tg said:
I also tried to blow down the bore but could not so I think there is still a good seal from the patch to barrel,

:shocked2: OH MY GOD!!!!!! You BLEW down the barrel??? :rotf: I remember the last time this was mentioned.

tg,
Just curious, what was the purpose of banging the butt on the floor? Did you do this while you were looking down the bore?

I am reminded of two lawyer buddies one Saturday about five years or so ago near Lancaster, PA who loaded a potato cannon. It failed to fire so they left it for two hours and then came back. The owner picked it up and looked down the bore and banged it on the patio. It fired. He had to have some corrective surgery to rebuild his face, without vision in that eye, of course. My thought is that he had a dilema. Who to sue?
volatpluvia

:rotf: :rotf: That's a good one!! :rotf: Who to sue! :rotf: :rotf:

tg, so was it still loaded??? :grin:

Colt said:
/quote]This board is getting as bad as some of the others I visit.[/quote]

Colt,
So every board you visit that does not
agree with you is a bad board:hmm::hmm:
Actually that is what makes the MLF such
a good forum....We can agree to disagree but
still remain respectful to each other,without
getting down on anybody including the MLF itself.
I have to guess since this forum is so bad,
we won't hear any more of your:bull: anytime soon. Hopefully! :youcrazy:
snake-eyes

Ain't that the truth! The newcomers since the forum was declared cool to visit seem to be having problems with both the manners required and the limited subject matter. I expected this.

tg said:
My fusil has been loaded for over two weeks and I just looked down the bore with a flashlight and bannged the buttpleate on the floor while doing so( set it at half cock and dropped the frizzen to check if it would hold first) and everything look clean and tight, I also tried to blow down the bore but could not so I think there is still a good seal from the patch to barrel, I bet it will go off when I drop the flint on the steel, and shoe no damaged to the bore.
OK, time to come clean TG...you were just double checking to be sure a person couldn't see the nose of that Hornady GP Bullet you slipped in there instead of a minnieball :grin:

Yeah you guys got me figured out, and I'm not happy to be in the woods hunting, thats a scope in my pocket....

my experience has been that as long as there is no burned powder or cap residue in the chamber area, a muzzleloader can be left loaded for several days with no rust problems. Just make sure the chamber area has had all traces of any lubricant removed with isopropyl alcohol or some other degreaser.

Back