• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leather mold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or accoutrements, figured here cause it's a "doing/fixing stuff question and could be applied to any leather accessory. Won't be bugged if it gets moved though.

What's the best way to remove mold or mildew from a leather item? In my current case the item is such that I'm sure I could clean it off with some light steel wool or other abbrasive. This will remove what I can see, but will it remove and/or kill the spores to keep the mold from coming back?

Most of the pros I know prefer plain old white or apple cider vinegar or second choice 90% rubbing alcohol - cheap and won't generally harm the leather - followed by a good airing in the sun for a while followed by a good light coats of conditioner such as Lexol Conditioner, EVOO Olive Oil, neat's foot, monk oil, or dubbin - when applying conditioner it is best to apply several light coats as needed with allowing each coat to absorb over 24 hours before adding more. FWIW - In over 50 years of repairing and crafting leather I've found nothing better for dealing with mold.

Thanks for this thread. I was getting ready to throw a couple of pair's of moccasins that have molded up. Going to try these methods first cuz I hate making moccasins LOL.
Thanks again

bpd303 said:
I use a mixture of Borax & water, 1/4 cup Borax to a quart of water. No smell and the mold will not come back. Make sure the item is completely dry before using conditioner.

I've been lucky inasmuch as it's only happened a few times to me ... neatsfoot oil worked well, but i'll remember the Borax idea

Oil of cloves is outstanding and should be available in supermarkets and chemist shops .

Careful with Clove Oil, undiluted it is Potent Stuff. It must be diluted at 1 Teaspoon per Litre of Water or in Imperial 1 Teaspoon per 1/4 Gallon to safely treat Mould. Put it in a Spray Bottle and spray lightly on the affected area. Leave 24 hours and brush off.It kills the Mould Spore and unless the Leather is kept incorrectly again the Mould is very unlikely to grow again. You will need to air the affected item. Works great on Mould in the Shower also, but in an enclosed area the Fumes are very strong for a little while.

What's the best way to remove mold or mildew from a leather item?

You asked "best". I don't know. But all I do is wipe it off with a cloth. Best way, in my experience, to prevent recurrance is to keep in open. I have a cabinet with many knives and stuff. Some of the leather gets mold, some doesn't. :idunno: I just wipe mould off and there seems to be no ill effect on the leather. I use a variety of things to treat leather, loyal to none. They are Neatsfoot oil pure and with silicone, mink oil, beeswax, mineral oil and whatever other 'stuff' happens to be laying around. I think I like Neatsfoot oil the best.

Back