• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season Squirrel hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted W. Coombs

36 Cal.
Reaction score
lateseasonsquirls.jpg

lateseasonsquirls3.jpg

Monday was a perfect day for a hunt. Temperatures in the 60s with sunny skies. Went out late afternoon and had a great time. I have hunted squirrels for many years but have to say hunting with a flinter is one of the best. A good tip for success is to just go and go often. I'm glad I can share with others that hunt with black powder. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Teton Ted

Ted: Thanks for the photos! I'm so glad someone is out hunting and having fun. Those are mighty meaty-looking "squills." Are they fox squirrels? Also, I see the shot bag; is your gun a smooth rifle? Sure looks lovely. Please give us some more details on your hunt and loads.
Bill

You guys are killing me - I've been out 3 days in a row in the evening after work and I haven't even seen or heard a squirrel - and I know they are there - cuttings, nests and everything - put some corn down as a bait, got a squirrel call and still nothing :cursing:

I hunt them with percussions but some day I gonna get a flint.Great job. :hatsoff: Whats the details on the gun?

KHickam said:
You guys are killing me - I've been out 3 days in a row in the evening after work and I haven't even seen or heard a squirrel - and I know they are there - cuttings, nests and everything - put some corn down as a bait, got a squirrel call and still nothing :cursing:

Story of my life. I was out today in my buddy's deer stand. He SWEARS that there are 100s of squirrels around it. None to be seen...

Fantastic :thumbsup: I love your fowler. It's a great looking piece.

Great looking gun and gear! What is load you are shooting? Thanks for sharing your hunt and pics. :thumbsup:

Bill, I'me using a Caywood English fowler in a 20ga. (.62 cal.) with a full jug choke. Also had a rear site put on and an extra dark finish on the stock. My load is 70gr. of 3fff goex,4 over-shot wads, 1 1/4 oz. of #5 shot,and 1 over-shot wad. on top. Iv'e noticed that the late winter squirrels are a little harder to kill instantly. Maybe their winter coats are harder to penitrate. Anyway I try to get within 25yard to make sure. Usualy the squirrel activity is better gust befor a change in the weather. When the hunting is slow I have used a squirrel distress call. When you blow the call it sounds like a high pitch weeee.What makes it work, you have to beat on the ground or some brush while you blow the distress call. If you are hid I have had bushytails come down their den trees. :shocked2: :shocked2: Iv'e used the barking calls to locate them sometime, but dont over do it. Good hunting Teton Ted

Thats a good looking gun and bag. I would like to see more pics of the gun and the possibles. :thumbsup:

Bill, You can't go wrong with the recipes here on the forum. For an older squirrel I like my wife's crock pot to simmer them and get'em tender. My favorit is fried with biscuts and gravy. :thumbsup: Teton Ted

Back