• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me we can not rely on Television or Movies to faithfully follow the original book or be historically correct .eg: Peter Jackson turned The Hobbit , which was a small book written for children into 3 massive movies which were , In my opinion , were more like science fiction .

Sometimes that isn't so bad. I. Love. Cooper. But most people don't. The movie was a better movie than the book would have been. And despite loving The Hobbit(book), given Jackson's treatment of my greater love TLOTR, I'll give him the ridiculous money grab on The Hobbit since the book remains intact and I have a nice NOS 75th Anniversary copy my wife gave me for my birthday this year.

I also looooooove thr Aubrey/Maturin series, but Ridley Scott did a fantastic job mashing up several of them into an unfaithful story that is insanely historically correct in all details of life on a small man of war.

Sometimes that isn't so bad. I. Love. Cooper. But most people don't. The movie was a better movie than the book would have been. And despite loving The Hobbit(book), given Jackson's treatment of my greater love TLOTR, I'll give him the ridiculous money grab on The Hobbit since the book remains intact and I have a nice NOS 75th Anniversary copy my wife gave me for my birthday this year.

I also looooooove thr Aubrey/Maturin series, but Ridley Scott did a fantastic job mashing up several of them into an unfaithful story that is insanely historically correct in all details of life on a small man of war.

HBO should have picked up with a Series after "Master and Commander" was released.

HBO should have picked up with a Series after "Master and Commander" was released.

Sadly, 22 years ago they were blowing all their cash on Tom Hanks war stuff. Which of course gave us fantastic BoB and The Pacific, but yes that would have been an incredible idea. On the other hand, they gave up on Rome two seasons in, right when it would have really gotten interesting. Game of Thrones got nothing on the early imperial era.

Hello you got this English man interested as I love flint long rifles. I think guns just evolved by small gunsmiths getting British parts from trading posts Then nationality decided design the frontier man wanted a strong rifle not a delicate beautiful on then larger manufactures evolved then we have different people from the old world bring homeland styles with them. Some makers below were into percussion on a flintlock style. So I went through some American Bonhams auction catalogs all I know a frontier man would want a good rifle Films contain so much manure just entertainment The names below don’t even scratch at the surface with mountain men making and forging their guns and parts Remember the USA is a big big country not like little old England. Ha ha. I wish you well

Ps these three are London style made by me

so here we go American gun makers and styled

french chargrilled style. JA- Bedford county. Farmer Bucks county. Pennsylvania. Slotter and co for Robert Liddke &co. Postley Nelson. Benjamin Bigelow. C F Scholl Marysville. Rickets Mansfield Ohio. A Fluhr Sacramento. Adolphus J Plate San Francisco Hillard. George Goulcher. P Gardner. H Goff
Pensilvania contract made. I M Dixon North Carolina. St Louis style. Whitney Arms Company A composite British made
James WLkace Edinburgh. Korb Germany
John Moll Lehigh County. J P Beck.
New England 1790. Henry Kock Pensalvania.
Robert Dutch Burn Virginia Style.
1816 ASA Wartern. Harper’s ferry 1820. 1816 flintlock by Nathan Starr.
MT Wickham 1816 flintlock.
1814 flintlock. Henry Deringer
1817 flintlock R&D Johnson
1815 flintlock Lancaster county
I am confused You Show just three guns but your text suggests youve made some numbers . Iv'e made some numbers though I don't Love the styles particularly long heavy affairs and I have carried one hunting many times in Canada where I made it in 1973 "Nimpkish River Valley School' ( Of one) since I made it in a logging camp its in UK now Any gun I carry needs be no more that 6 pounds wieght & 28" brl more or less is all ide hump about .My pet is Mid 18th Provincial English wieght of five pounds . I have made numbers of Long rifles but being too unhandy I never used any but the first Nimpkish Lake one . Did you make all the listed pieces ? Interesting.
Regards Rudyard

In one video jim kibler stated none if his rifles are true to any period, they're just his general take on stylings from those eras.

I have a theory that his guns are the better for that fact. He is faithful to the concept, rather than being hide bound. I love reproductions, but at some point it's like copying art: a great and impressive exercise of skill, but totally lacking in vision or originality.

When I was a kid I was really into Marvel comics. And I always hated new artists that changed my favorite characters. But being much older now, I may not favor their work, but I do think they are entitled to creative license.

I do love Kibler's guns. Unbelievably superb.

I have a theory that his guns are the better for that fact. He is faithful to the concept, rather than being hide bound. I love reproductions, but at some point it's like copying art: a great and impressive exercise of skill, but totally lacking in vision or originality.

When I was a kid I was really into Marvel comics. And I always hated new artists that changed my favorite characters. But being much older now, I may not favor their work, but I do think they are entitled to creative license.

I do love Kibler's guns. Unbelievably superb.

I agree with that, but mention something like a pedersoli and all people want to rant on about is how they aren't PC guns. I think it goes either all one way or all the other.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I think any gun that roughly fits into a period is good enough and should be respected as such.

I agree with that, but mention something like a pedersoli and all people want to rant on about is how they aren't PC guns. I think it goes either all one way or all the other.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I think any gun that roughly fits into a period is good enough and should be respected as such.

That's fair. If only we looked at Pedersoli's and such as the later Dickerts and Lemans. The namesakes might have been artists who could build masterpieces, but eventually they had factories turning out less exquisite art and more serviceable weapons. The same is now true of Kibler using CNCs for kits.

That's fair. If only we looked at Pedersoli's and such as the later Dickerts and Lemans. The namesakes might have been artists who could build masterpieces, but eventually they had factories turning out less exquisite art and more serviceable weapons. The same is now true of Kibler using CNCs for kits.
If Kibler was hand making all his parts , he would be making a few rifles a year and the cost would be prohibitive and a lot of you would have to shoot Pedersoli's and Lymans etc . Think on that . And I am sure that rifles moved out of their design location and lasted many years , which is why there are so few originals left

If Kibler was hand making all his parts , he would be making a few rifles a year and the cost would be prohibitive and a lot of you would have to shoot Pedersoli's and Lymans etc . Think on that . And I am sure that rifles moved out of their design location and lasted many years , which is why there are so few originals left

I don't have to think on it. You just repeated what I said in a different way. I don't own a kit Kibler or a hand built Kibler so "a lot of you" ain't me. Think on contributing, rather than thinking you found a preaching point.

BTW: that ain't no Pedersoli. But I'm not ashamed to shake hands with a man shooting one.(Real time, colorized, 2021, "Maggie the Moggy Cat With Longrifle Just Now")

Attachments

• 20211128_194946.jpg
    20211128_194946.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
I forgot it had the wrap around the wrist area. Anyone have a closer photo of that side of the stock and wrist area?
Isn't that wrap where it often had a sling attached? Or is it semi-structural? He carried that rifle on his back a fair bit. He's "Mister Method" and I understand he treated that gun just like Vigo Mortensen with his sword in LOTR.

I think Cooper was right in one aspect, though - rifles were RARE in 1757, and Natty and his Killdeer would have had quite the reputation. Mann's rifle was no representation of a mid-18th C rifle (again, there weren't many), but that didn't ruin the movie for me, or my wife, or my sons. I think the gracefulness of the rifle that DDL carried was much more attractive to the eye than would have been, say, a Christian Springs or Jaeger. As I type this, it might turn out that I have to do some level of replicating myself, to build one of the LTOM rifles for each of my sons would be a lot of fun. You guys have now given me an idea which will result in a complete evaporation of my spare time....

I think Cooper was right in one aspect, though - rifles were RARE in 1757, and Natty and his Killdeer would have had quite the reputation. Mann's rifle was no representation of a mid-18th C rifle (again, there weren't many), but that didn't ruin the movie for me, or my wife, or my sons. I think the gracefulness of the rifle that DDL carried was much more attractive to the eye than would have been, say, a Christian Springs or Jaeger. As I type this, it might turn out that I have to do some level of replicating myself, to build one of the LTOM rifles for each of my sons would be a lot of fun. You guys have now given me an idea which will result in a complete evaporation of my spare time....

I was 8 when I saw that movie with my granddaddy. And the next year I was roaming those same mountains alone with a hatchet, machete, bb gun, and such. I still could care less what wra the rifle was from. My Daisy bb gun looked and felt just like it.

I was 8 when I saw that movie with my granddaddy. And the next year I was roaming those same mountains alone with a hatchet, machete, bb gun, and such. I still could care less what wra the rifle was from. My Daisy bb gun looked and felt just like it.

I have wondered, what truly represents the essence of era/period genuineness if that's the concern. Take mountain men for example

Is it a guy with a gun and clothing correct down to the iron fittings and animal sinew stitching at a faux rendezvous shooting a few paper targets and then driving home.

Or is it the guy with a non period correct rifle, sleeping bag and gps but that is packing into the wilds for a few days or a week hunting by himself with nothing other than what he can carry.

I don't shoot a blackpowder for any recognition or notion of period correctness, but i do know for me which gives me the feeling of being a part of nature, shaking the shackles of society and satisfying my need for adventure and the sense of wanderlust.

I would happily own a rifle identical to the one used in last of the mohicans and hunt with it feeling as though it's every bit as genuine as the next guys gun.

Great rifles Lexy 1
I totally agree with your comment .. The movie gun sucked big time ..
Where did find these pics ... ?? Are there more ??
I have a 49" barrel inlet into to a stick of plain sugar maple . I'm gonna build something 1750-60ish .. soon I hope !!
The first rifle is a awesome gun ...

Thanks .. Allen

I found a disc and watched it on a 12 ft by 7ft screen. The led projector only £129 on eBay uk magic. You see so much more action in detail. There were a lot of flashes from flint pans so they might not have been rubber nor did I see any rifles in detail which was disappointing. I’ll watch it again. Historic or not it portrays the horrors of Indian fighting life and death. A Great film

I am confused You Show just three guns but your text suggests youve made some numbers . Iv'e made some numbers though I don't Love the styles particularly long heavy affairs and I have carried one hunting many times in Canada where I made it in 1973 "Nimpkish River Valley School' ( Of one) since I made it in a logging camp its in UK now Any gun I carry needs be no more that 6 pounds wieght & 28" brl more or less is all ide hump about .My pet is Mid 18th Provincial English wieght of five pounds . I have made numbers of Long rifles but being too unhandy I never used any but the first Nimpkish Lake one . Did you make all the listed pieces ? Interesting.
Regards Rudyard
Hello from cold uk. Sorry I get carried away. At 78 i am sticking to flintlocks. Got around 20 guns from 450-400 double to flintlocks. This last year I did up a 12 bore percussion cape rifle from holts auction like bidding on rusty ones only £860 At beginning of year I had two spare L&R flintlocks and decided to have ago af a double after watching utube British gun makers i soldered the tubes and ribs together much simpler than I thought I was so stuck for wood I used some old hardwood window frames. Out friend in Main loves it but at around 13 lb not for the faint hearted but firing two .6 lead balls great for bear. Maple is impossible to find in uk other than flooring grade and one blank was £300

Yes made three other flint rifles one .45 with a 1830 unused warranted lock. Then then two with 1810 original Bess locks one from 1972 .625 rifled and one still working on with a .6 oval bore Always on the look out for flint actions. And of course we have plenty of flint here to practice knapping. Our friend in Main thinks my guns are ugly ha ha. Mine just evolve I like big patch boxes and what I make makes me happy Great to hear from you from across the pond as they say. Love from cold London

Attachments

• 52E50A6E-29F6-4C63-957D-C9726B33B21D.jpeg
    52E50A6E-29F6-4C63-957D-C9726B33B21D.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 48
  • A00C70B4-70EC-4F22-8A45-EE4589540948.jpeg
    A00C70B4-70EC-4F22-8A45-EE4589540948.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 41
  • D6A0A555-ADC9-4B5C-85B5-B4AA71C0ECFA.jpeg
    D6A0A555-ADC9-4B5C-85B5-B4AA71C0ECFA.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 77CD6567-BCA2-4842-BAFC-5D9854B1C5AF.jpeg
    77CD6567-BCA2-4842-BAFC-5D9854B1C5AF.jpeg