• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lanolin for rust.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandma used to slather herself all over with lanolin while sitting on the edge of her bed just before retiring when I was a little kid. If you made the mistake of getting within reach of her, you got slathered too. I only made that mistake once. Slather yourself with lanolin and go to bed and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Interesting how a thread takes on a lot of different twists as peoples interest in the subject are voiced!!
Rust resistance is the big thing for me. Oh yes and preventing my hands from drying and cracking this time year!!!’
LBL

My lube for minies in my PH Enfield included a bit of lanolin (wool grease) to improve "stickyness" for the lube to adhere and stay on the lead. Still great stuff.

ADK Bigfoot

Sooooooo.... Getting back to the OP, I do and have used Fluid film for rust prevention. Good stuff!

I’m sure lanolin works but I’ve never had an issue with rust on any of my firearms or knives. I just use a light coat of ballistol. I’ve even kept pistols in a leather holster in my safe w/o issues. Low humidity levels help a lot.

I’m sure lanolin works but I’ve never had an issue with rust on any of my firearms or knives. I just use a light coat of ballistol. I’ve even kept pistols in a leather holster in my safe w/o issues. Low humidity levels help a lot.
If you use natural products, especially animal fat based, you don't need to worry as much about getting it all out before loading, nor about letting a fired muzzleloader sit for a while before cleaning. Also, why employ a bunch of chemists if you don't have to.

If you use natural products, especially animal fat based, you don't need to worry as much about getting it all out before loading, nor about letting a fired muzzleloader sit for a while before cleaning. Also, why employ a bunch of chemists if you don't have to.
I pretty much agree. I use Moosemilk patches & Ballistol for pretty much all my black powder rifles. Sometimes I’ll use a bore cleaner on the range if the barrel becomes difficult to load. Not opposed to lanolin but it’s just something I don’t really need as it’s just one more thing to keep track of.

Lanolin was developed ages ago to protect sheep and the people who wear their skins from the weather. It is a natural waterproofer. Has maney uses for outdoor folk..
Technically, sheep produce lanolin which protects their skin and promotes healing. It is good stuff. Fluid film, which is lanolin based, is used to under vehicles to prevent rusting.

I buy mine from the health food store. Women use it for a balm for breast feeding I guess.

As a sidebar, for several years I used a “public warehouse”, to store the material I sold for my company. This warehouse also housed vast quantities of lanolin. My big takeaway was how incredibly bad it smelled. I mean like to “gag a maggot” level.

As a sidebar, for several years I used a “public warehouse”, to store the material I sold for my company. This warehouse also housed vast quantities of lanolin. My big takeaway was how incredibly bad it smelled. I mean like to “gag a maggot” level.
Worse than a mountain man?

Lanolin is one of the ingredients in "Eds Red" bore cleaner and gun oil. I made gallons of it many years ago. Bought my Lanolin from New Zealand.

Lanolin is one of the ingredients in "Eds Red" bore cleaner and gun oil. I made gallons of it many years ago. Bought my Lanolin from New Zealand.
Good man , that is what we like . I use two different spray lubes on my firearms in which the active ingredient is lanolin . Greasy wool is popular amongst home spinners and knitters here in New Zealand , Wool pullovers with the grease left in are warm , water resistant and just a wee bit smelly , especially for those folk we call townies . I don't mind the smell but I am aware of others whom are upset by it . Gun bags with a greasy wool sheep skin lining are good for protecting firearms used at sea

If you ever come to New Zealand I'll arrange for you to visit a shearing shed at shearing time ,

I thought it funny that my Chiappa musket instruction booklet warned against using pure lanolin as a rust preventative/lubricant. Didn’t say why.

I put bag balm in a #11 cap tin, put on stove for 30 seconds. Let set up, put in possible bag. Done deal.

Back