• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rust Prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Red

I heard there was pizza…
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I’d put this up here for y’all to check out. I know, I know. I’m going to hear, “I’ve been wiping my gun down with ox urine just like my grandpappy, and his grandpappy before him, with NO RUST!!!!!” (Notice the caps and exclamation points? Yeah, you REALLY MEAN IT!!!)
Anyway, two of my sacred cows of rust prevention bit the dust on this one. They weren’t terrible, but didn’t come in near where I thought they would. Eezox and CorrosionX. Been using both for years, with fairly good results. Admittedly, most of my guns don’t see this harsh of an environment, but when I head out on the flats in my boat, THAT pistol sees hell for metal. Saltwater…
So, for your reading enjoyment, a rust prevention thread I found on the inter webs. This dude went to a LOT of trouble to do this study. Nice work, dude I don’t know!
-Red, switching to ox urine…

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

According to tests regarding corrosion resistance Clenzoil and Barricade (my two choices for the last 40 years) did well. Not surprised.

Clenzoil was invented and sold by a member of the Canal Fulton Club, Ellis Cristian Lenz, who was also a gun writer of some note. His book Muzzle Flashes should be read by any serious student of muzzleloading.

According to tests regarding corrosion resistance Clenzoil and Barricade (my two choices for the last 40 years) did well. Not surprised.

Clenzoil was invented and sold by a member of the Canal Fulton Club, Ellis Cristian Lenz, who was also a gun writer of some note. His book Muzzle Flashes should be read by any serious student of muzzleloading.
I did like the “final thoughts” this guy made: #1 and #6 especially. From the article-

Final thoughts

1. There are two enemies to our guns. Neglect and liberal Democrats who dislike the 2nd amendment. Do everything in your power to make sure neither are allowed to make any advances on your weapons.

2. Use these products in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves. Health is your first wealth. Protect it like you do your gear.

3. Water displacing claims don?t mean much. None of the 3 water displacers performed well in the corrosion or lubrication evaluation.

4. Don?t over lube. Its far worse than under lubing. Wipe off the lube to the point you think you may have taken off too much and you should be just about right.

5. Not all gun care products are created equal. Choose wisely. Knowledge is power. I have a little more thanks to this evaluation.

6. If you have had a preferred gun care product that has served you well for many years, there is no need to change even if your product did not fare well in this evaluation. If your outdoor gear functions well and is corrosion free and you are happy with the product and like the smell, why fix what isn?t broken. See note 1.

-Red, still switching to ox urine…

Certainly, in my case, ignorance is bliss. Overwhelming info. I'll just stick to Ballistol, Hoppe's gun oil, and Mobil 1 syn. grease. Very impressive study though.
Not going with the ox urine? Rookie mistake…
It was an impressive dive in to it! I liked what he said though. If you have a product/procedure that works for you, stick with it.
I’m always willing to try something new. I wish he would have specified which Frog Lube he used. There’s like a million different versions of it.
I posted it up as a interesting look in to rust prevention. Like I said, my two favorites didn’t perform as well as I thought they would. But I know they do work.
-Red, tries anything once…

Not going with the ox urine? Rookie mistake…
It was an impressive dive in to it! I liked what he said though. If you have a product/procedure that works for you, stick with it.
I’m always willing to try something new. I wish he would have specified which Frog Lube he used. There’s like a million different versions of it.
I posted it up as a interesting look in to rust prevention. Like I said, my two favorites didn’t perform as well as I thought they would. But I know they do work.
-Red, tries anything once…
He was testing some pretty harsh conditions. My pistols are not going to be hanging out in the rain or at the beach. They live in an old rag dampened with 30W non detergent motor oil.. I've heard that using rags is not the best storage for guns....but.....traditions. And they seem to be doing ok. Even my 65 year old boyhood unmentionable remained rust free except for some time spent in a leather holster.
Oh, and the first ox I come across, I will hit him up for a urine donation. I'll let you know.

Just thought I’d put this up here for y’all to check out. I know, I know. I’m going to hear, “I’ve been wiping my gun down with ox urine just like my grandpappy, and his grandpappy before him, with NO RUST!!!!!” (Notice the caps and exclamation points? Yeah, you REALLY MEAN IT!!!)
Anyway, two of my sacred cows of rust prevention bit the dust on this one. They weren’t terrible, but didn’t come in near where I thought they would. Eezox and CorrosionX. Been using both for years, with fairly good results. Admittedly, most of my guns don’t see this harsh of an environment, but when I head out on the flats in my boat, THAT pistol sees hell for metal. Saltwater…
So, for your reading enjoyment, a rust prevention thread I found on the inter webs. This dude went to a LOT of trouble to do this study. Nice work, dude I don’t know!
-Red, switching to ox urine…

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
ox urine is a lot better then you make it out to be I used it for 20 years now I have switched to oil of olay :ghostly:

#3 I have been telling people this for years(wd 40). I learned the hard way about it when I lived on a sail boat. Any fittings treated with Wd 40 where seized up the next time use went to use them
not only that I bet the fittings had an inch of wax on them from the WD

Geeeez...........not even a mention of beeswax and lard.
😆
lol I use beeswax for deodorant stained my wood siding with it use it for a wax seal for toilets seal leaky basement walls wax my car. guys here always talking about it. I never saw it and where do they get it? not that I want it

lol I use beeswax for deodorant stained my wood siding with it use it for a wax seal for toilets seal leaky basement walls wax my car. guys here always talking about it. I never saw it and where do they get it? not that I want it
From bees...........trust me you want it.
😂

Latest posts

Back