• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit comparisons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chasseur d'ours

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about building two guns in the coming years: a German, flint rifle (1730-50s), and a French fusil fin.

I am wondering about feedback on possible kits for these two guns.

For the German rifle I've been looking at:
Pecatonica, Chambers (modifying the Marshal rifle), RE Davis, Dunlop, TOW and TVM.
I'd like something with a relatively short barrel, 54 or 58 caliber, walnut stock, swamped barrel, good lock.

For the fusil fin:
RE Davis and TOW ("C" model).

Any thoughts and recomendations on both easy of building, overall quality and accuracy.

Thanks!

I'd go with the marshal rifle in euro walnut and RE davis fusil Fin in euro walnut. The quality on these two are top notch.
The "C" guns as they are sold , are not historically accurate.

Mike,

Thanks for the advice.

I really liked what I've seen so far of Davis fusil kit. Any changes you'd do it?

I agree with Mike. You may want to look at their Yaeger rifle as well. R.E. Davis,I mean.

Weeell!!! If ya don't tell nobody, :redface: I think the Chambers locks are a tad better but the kits from both companies are real nice kits. I would put them on equal par. Both companies have treated me real good on customer service. Both will back there products.

Mike, it's the same one available through the Mold and Gun Shop. I can't remember the guys name that owns that shop. He makes a lot of stuff for R. E. Davis. I think he lives down around Lancaster,Ohio? :hmm:

I don't think anyone makes a passable German rifle precarve stock. The Chambers "Marshall" one would be your best bet.

You might check with The Rifle Shoppe. I think it's Bob Lepley that makes the precarve stocks for their gun sets, and supposedly he patterns them directly from the guns that the hardware came off of. I have no experience with them though, but perhaps worth checking into.

Kit-itis.
I think that at a certain level of interest, it would be more fulfilling to do some research and put together a parts set and work from a blank, perhaps inletted for barrel and with ramrod channel cut and ramrod hole drilled.

I would go with the Davis Fusil Fin and forget about the alphabet...this is probably the best French gun kit around, the lock may need a little help but nothing major.

Back