• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIK vs Goex (I know, beat to death?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevindj

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Before you say - NOT AGAIN - I tried a search but kept getting a page error.

I don't get to the forum as often as I should. With the buying frenzy going on right now, EVERYTHING is in short supply. I am stocking up too. What is the general opinion of KIK vs Goex? I load very few cartridges so I am reshooting about everything from .32 to shotgun, including revolvers. I am a BP firearms trainer and oddly enough never needed to, or had the opportunity to use any KIK.

I don't need a detailed analysis. Mostly looking for thumbs up, down, or that there is not much difference. I am looking at a 50 pound order and don't mind a little difference - just don't want to spend that much on manure. Mostly use it for training instructors, and 4-H kids. Not for competition. I have a stash of my favorite for personal use :wink:

I use KIK, found it to shoot cleaner and I get better groups. I hope that helps, plus Goex is having a hard time with the 2ff. Powder Inc. had only around 500 lbs last I checked and were limiting orders.

A friend that beats me regularly at our club matches shoots the KIK. He bought it because of the cheaper price and looks at the improved accuracy as a bonus. Goex had better get their supply lines fixed or we will all be shooting imported powder. Geo. T.

Goex had better get their supply lines fixed
Supply-Demand. Artificially created demand is exceeding normal supply capabilities. A company isn't going to invest in more manufacturing just to appease a spike in demand, knowing that demand will soon fall back to normally projected levels. The logic of the previous poster that because there is a buying frenzy he needs to jump in too :idunno: Adding fuel to the fire. I figure I have enough powder to wait out the "Frenzy" and the issue with switching to a different powder involves more load testing. I prefer to stay with a powder I have already worked up a load with. As an example, I recently won a pound of Graf and sons 2f. I used up half of it just trying to get the right load again, wasn't worth it to me, even if it was free.I gave the rest of it to my Son to blow out in his shotgun.

Have an itch to order some of the new Eynsford Powder to try. They getcha with the" this is a much better Powder for accurate target shooters," spiel!! But, if it isn`t , then I will be stuck with 10 lbs. of it!!

I decided to try some KIK and placed a 25lb order (hope I like it) . I will let you know what I think after I send a few downrange! Still have some Goex but not confident in the supply chain.

Kevindj said:
I decided to try some KIK and placed a 25lb order (hope I like it) . I will let you know what I think after I send a few downrange! Still have some Goex but not confident in the supply chain.

You should like it just good... Ive enjoyed mine.

From what I have heard that last fire at the Goex factory has set them back in production. I was glad to be able to pick up some 2F recently in the new plastic ( :shocked2: ) bottles.
KIK powder has a good reputation, got 2 bottles of it in 3F, also plastic bottles.

The last GOEX fire I see on Google is the one that happened Oct 11, 2011.
http://www.greenwoodfiredept.com/fullstory.php?145921

Apparently there was another earlier fire at GOEX in June, 2011.
On March 26, 2012 Goex sent out this press release

"Doyline Louisiana, Goex® Powder is reborn. After experiencing a production interruption on June 7 2011 Goex is now back in full manufacturing mode. The company successfully completed multiple projects for a safer and improved process facility.

“Eight months of sweat, blood, and tears from the staff at Goex. Today’s start-up was only possible due to the combined dedication of the entire crew who worked in 114 degree days last summer and cold rain forest level downpours this winter. You can be proud of the Goex team. I sure am” said Goex COO Tim Vaitekunas.

Goex is immediately gearing its production to partially satisfy their new 5-year U.S. Military contract and will soon supply the demand of the sporting market of muzzleloading shooters and hunters everywhere.

To find out more about Goex’s The Tradition Continues superior made in the USA black powder products see goexpowder.com or call 913-362-9455."

That was after the October fire and it was about a year ago, I would expect things to be pretty much back to normal by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
given that the sale on schuetzen grafs was holding is now over and im in need of powder. i think ill try buying some KIK from powderinc.

-matt

Back