• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler side effect?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t, unless I am not using it much. If I am shooting it once or twice a week, I do not. Maybe once a month.
I did when I first started. I however go to the range 100 times for every hunt.
Be a fool. It’s your gun. You need to take the lock out and clean the fouling, but hey, you know better than everyone else.

Last edited:
Be a fool. It’s your gun. You need to take the lock and clean the fouling, but hey, you know better than everyone else.
Thanks for your confidence and you are correct I DO know more bout my gun and my environment.
Regarding the fool part, it is true at times. However, I am not the keyboard sage spwewing advice as if gospel. I did find the initial post rude and an attempt at pontification. It is great to give advice if one has credibility, but even then it has to be given in more of a suggestive manner as opposed to barking orders at those you don’t know.

Outright calling someone a fool on a a forum is pretty much ignorant and suggests one might have other problems in life already caused by the aforementioned ignorance, but you know better than everyone else.

Last edited:
Back to the subject “ Kibler Side Effect “ as I see it he has put the opportunity for many more people to handle, own or shoot a fine muzzle loading rifle. Many of us started out with a flintlock that was neither correct or reliable. We enjoyed it and learned a lot. What he has done is allowed some to experience what the good stuff is like. Even as a fellow on a fixed income and modest means I appreciate what he has done.

Back to the subject “ Kibler Side Effect “ as I see it he has put the opportunity for many more people to handle, own or shoot a fine muzzle loading rifle. Many of us started out with a flintlock that was neither correct or reliable. We enjoyed it and learned a lot. What he has done is allowed some to experience what the good stuff is like. Even as a fellow on a fixed income and modest means I appreciate what he has done.
Sorry for the digression, yet I thought it necessary.
I should have started another thread.

Midway usa right now
$1700!!!!
My India made bess was nearly a third of that cost!!! And I'll gladly shoot it over that pedersoli! I'd pay $1700 for a kibler bess however😉😉
I’m pretty happy with my pedersoli. Even with a new mainspring, new ram rod and sling swivels, defarberization and all… I still only have about $800 in it. Ya just gotta look around. Anyway, it’s solid.

Thanks for your confidence and you are correct I DO know more bout my gun and my environment.
Regarding the fool part, it is true at times. However, I am not the keyboard sage spwewing advice as if gospel. I did find the initial post rude and an attempt at pontification. It is great to give advice if one has credibility, but even then it has to be given in more of a suggestive manner as opposed to barking orders at those you don’t know.

Outright calling someone a fool on a a forum is pretty much ignorant and suggests one might have other problems in life already caused by the aforementioned ignorance, but you know better than everyone else.
Whatev

Hi,
Several of you comment that Jim and Catherine's kits are blank canvases for the artist. That is only true if you accept the architecture of the gun. Unlike painting, the gun as canvas is not neutral and is part and parcel of the artistic expression. There are plenty of guns out there on which the maker embellished them without considering the canvas and they are routinely awkward looking and ugly. The easier the Kibler's make their kits to assemble, the less flexibility you have to customize it in any way except decoration and embellishment, and even with that you are limited by the architecture of the gun. Many of you await the fowler kit. As I understand the gun will represent a good quality British trade gun or lower grade fowler from the mid-18th century. Would decorating it with silver wire inlay and high end engraving look right? No. During that time a high quality gun would almost always have a standing breech, likely one with a hump, barrel keys not pins, elegant side plate and trigger guard, not the kinds used on trade guns. If all of those components are fully inlet for you, you may have few choices but to build a trade or lower quality fowler. Jim and Catherine chose that style gun because it has the highest marketing potential in the US and should be a good business choice for them. I know it will be wildly popular as it should, but as a "blank canvas" for historically correct artistic decoration it will have its limits. Here is a Kibler Colonial that I built for a client detailing the lengths I went to modifying it to be more "Germanic" and less "English", more "Lancastrian" and less "Virginian" .

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-kit-assembly-and-carving.133549/

dave
Would be cool if they offered a "builder's" option for their guns. Leave plenty of extra wood for the builder to have more flexibility in carving different styles of stocks, cast off, LOP, etc. Maybe even enough room to put a cheek piece on the other side. Keep all the other stuff tight up to his standards so that the only extra work versus building a normal kit would be shaping the stock to your liking.

I wonder if they did this gun argument silliness in the 18th century ?? I can hear one know-it-all colonial guy exclaming " Well Sir ... if your rifle wasn't made by J.P Beck or George Schreyer ... .then your rifle made by Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta is junk and I would never own one !!!" .....

( Just as a side note, Beretta started in the firearms business in the 16th century; the year 1526 to be precise. Beretta has supplied weapons for every major European war since 1650).

Last edited:
I wonder if they did this gun argument silliness in the 18th century ?? I can hear one know-it-all colonial guy exclaming " Well Sir ... if your rifle wasn't made by J.P Beck or George Schreyer ... .then your rifle made by Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta is junk !!!" .....

( Just as a side note, Beretta started in the firearms business in the 16th century; the year 1526 to be precise. Beretta has supplied weapons for every major European war since 1650).
Wow. I did not know that. Never had a Herrera but always wanted one. Do you thing Beretta ever went out of business for a while, or have they been a company this whole time?

All flintlocks need the lock removed. Fouling gets behind the lock and on the barrel.
Occasionally but not every time one shots a few rounds, unless the gun will be stored afterward for a length of time. I can only assume that my flintlocks have a tighter fit than those you use.
Rarely does one using absolutes prove correct.
However this should be on another thread as it is not relevant to this one,

All flintlocks need the lock removed. Fouling gets behind the lock and on the barrel.
That is a very broad statement, out of all my flintlocks there is only one that gets any fouling inside the lock and a little bees wax as a gasket reduces that to the lock needs removing after lots of shooting.

That is a very broad statement, out of all my flintlocks there is only one that gets any fouling inside the lock and a little bees wax as a gasket reduces that to the lock needs removing after lots of shooting.
It’s all good because you won’t be shooting any of mine. I see guns all the time where guys didn’t do basic stuff because they know better.

Back