• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that from one of his video updates? Could I assume that a 20 gauge would be "less unsuited" for an unpatched ball?
Jim's mentioned on his videos and on post here that he would prefer shot only, but acknowledged that he knew some would shoot RBs. That's why the barrels will be thicker walled than originals for liability reasons. And yes, I'd expect the 20 to be less unsuited for a ball.

Jim's mentioned on his videos and on post here that he would prefer shot only, but acknowledged that he knew some would shoot RBs. That's why the barrels will be thicker walled than originals for liability reasons. And yes, I'd expect the 20 to be less unsuited for a ball.
I was reading up on the Kibler Colonial, and there was some opinion that the barrel would be to heavy a profile to run as a smoothbore.

Research it. A 16 gauge shoots a "square load" . If the gun is sized to the bore it's the best option for a shotgun. Once again in my humble opinion. I used to grouse hunt with my setter in PA using early American double guns. My 1912 L.C. Smith 16 bore is my go to gun.
What is a “square load”? Never heard that said before.

I don’t have a Colonial, but those that do seem to like their smoothbore versions. Haven’t heard of any negatives.
Not so much of a negative verses the barrel profile being heavy for a "musket" and now the discussion is that the "Fowler" barrel profile might be light for a "musket" As some one who is in the market for a "musket", I'm just trying determine "What gun" is best for me personally. I don't expect Kibler to put a "trade gun" on the market, so these are the two I am comparing, sight unseen.

16 gauge...that's interesting. Apparently, my great-grandfather (an avid hunter who kept decoy ducks when live decoys were legal) was very fond of the 16. He passed away before my mom was born, but her dad (my grandpa) inherited two Browning Auto-5s in 16 gauge. When my uncle passed in 2019, I inherited them. He also had a double-barreled 12 gauge I now have, but I need to replace the stock on that.
I can't think of a better combination for a modern shotgun than an auto5 in 16 gauge. it would be Christmas for me every time i looked at it!

The only 16 gauge unmentionable I had, killed out of proportion to bore size. It was very effective. Could just be the way the gun fit and all.

What is a “square load”? Never heard that said before.
Measure the diameter of your bore, then dump the amount of shot into the barrel that equals the measured diameter but in height. Thus, making the height of the shot in the barrel equal with the circumference of the bore. If you imagine a cross section of the loaded barrel the shot would appear as a square.
1000008983.jpg

As shown in this photo, the height of the shot is not the same dimension as the diameter of the bore, and is not a "square" load.

I think. Maybe. Seems to be different definitions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back