• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial LOP concern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCDR Brannigan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have been shooting black powder rifles for a few years now and I would like to move from percussion to flintlocks. I looked at TVM and was quoted a very long lead time. I have limited skills and from what I can find it seems like the Kibler Colonial kit would be the way to go.

So to my question, I am 6'1" and my Lyman Deer Stalker fits me perfectly with the LOP just a bit over 14". The Kibler kit is advertised at 13 5/8ths and I understand this is not a feature that can be changed. Any tall guys out there shooting this kit? Any other ideas?

Yes, my buddy has the one I built and is very comfortable with it, he is 6’ and a fairly new to flintlocks. The human body is quite adaptable.

This is a good question. While I’m only 5’10”, my two buddies who also built/shoot Kibler Colonial rifles, are over 6’, and this was a point of discussion one day when we were shooting at the range. Bottom line was that they thought the Kiblers length of pull worked fine for them(perfect for me). Judging from their shooting performance, the LOP surely didn’t have any adverse effect. The consensus was that too long a pull is far more of an issue then a too short (given the pad of your finger has to reach the trigger from a mounted position). I will consider the effect of seasonal clothing differences in thickness, and it’s influence on the length of pull, a half inch shorter pull can be beneficial. Cold weather hunting can add as much as as inch to the length of pull for me. Additionally, the forward hand location on the forearm(often subconsciously) helps regulate/adjust the LOP if any need for fine tuning/comfort is necessary.

Hi,
I am 6' and have moderately long arms. The Kibler colonial rifle is almost a stretch for me. The reason is thick wrist and deep throat at the wrist. You have a lot of wood to wrap your fingers around. If you have big hands with long fingers, that may not have much effect but my hands are wide with shorter fingers.

dave

If you want a little longer pull, add set triggers. That adds a little to the LOP, but you have to add a small filler piece(maybe 1/16") on each side of the trigger plate inlet. The single trigger plate is wider than the set trigger plate. Mike Brooks added set triggers to mine as he assembled it. After staining the filler is almost unnoticeable. I'm 5' 6", and the set triggers hit me halfway on the finger pad. A single trigger would be a bit of a stretch, but the set triggers just need a touch to trip so they work better.
In cold weather clothing shorter is always better than too long a pull.

I'm finding this thread very interesting.

I have shrunk to 6'1/2" in senior age from 6'1". I have orangutan length arms with large hands/long fingers.

However, I also have a astigmatism in my shooting eye, so I have to really crawl up on rear sights and that means I have to go a bit shorter in LOP than I otherwise would for my height and arm length.

Also, an LOP that seems even a bit long when you are wearing just a shirt is going to be too long when/if you hunt in cold weather and have to put on additional layers of clothing. Many people don't think about this when picking out a rifle, I've noticed.

Gus

I have been shooting black powder rifles for a few years now and I would like to move from percussion to flintlocks. I looked at TVM and was quoted a very long lead time. I have limited skills and from what I can find it seems like the Kibler Colonial kit would be the way to go.

So to my question, I am 6'1" and my Lyman Deer Stalker fits me perfectly with the LOP just a bit over 14". The Kibler kit is advertised at 13 5/8ths and I understand this is not a feature that can be changed. Any tall guys out there shooting this kit? Any other ideas?
If you know somebody that has one you could try it for fit. I know a few people that like 14" LOP that are close to 6' or taller. There is other things to consider also, like drop from line of sight to comb, cast off, cheek piece, weight of the barrel (caliber) for balance. I'm 5'8" and like 13 3/8" to 13 5/8" LOP. The Kibler Colonial I have is a .54 cal. and balance is a little forward and the 13 5/8" LOP feels a bit long, I can live with it though.

Length of pull is most usually established from a shoulder mount purchase to a stock. Most flint guns are fitted and mounted on the upper arm hence the hooked but plates. The upper arm can adjust fine to a shorter pull that would not be as comfortable for the less mobile shoulder.

The LOP that Kibler uses is about perfect for me. I have shortened several rifles to match. I now make them that length. I am 5'10" with larger shoulders.

My take is that with a long rifle you want the weight back or it is too muzzle heavy. Modern stock dimensions are not relevant, My first serious full long rifle build was and Armstrong. I made it 14 1/2" LOP. I copied a modern gun I liked. It seemed OK during the build. I as shot I found I was having to stretch uncomfortably to reach the trigger. I bent the trigger to the rear to make the LOP about 14 1/8" It is still to long. I'd shorten the stock except the patchbox is super fancy with piecing's and engraving. So it is a very fancy rifle that took me months to build that I do not like to shoot. I'll probably give it to a very tall friend when the time is right.

I strongly recommend that the OP actually shoots a Kibler as made before making a special order. I doubt Kibler can make a longer stock anyway.

I am 6’2.5” and rather long of limb. Remember the orangutans. I am not exactly like the handsome ones in the zoo, maybe one of their primitive ancestors. Dr Leaky is still looking for me.
I shot skeet for many years and am sort of a stock crawler. I got measured by a British fellow for a SxS game gun and the stock length was 16”. My Over & under target guns are 15 1/2”.
I have the Kibler SMR and it is fine. I also have a Colonial kit ready to start and it might feel a little better.

Back