• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Keeping your powder dry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're all bad, The Revenant was just particularly bad.

Come off it, that time period has become such a niche part of the film industry if we want to see that type of thing you have to accept a little give. I'll take that over a generic action movie thanks.

Besides you've missed on far bigger issues either the film anyway, loading powder and then shot without wadding, not priming, closing the hammer on a clearly empty pan when shooting the bear all pale in comparison to the fact that the true story occurred on the plains not BC forests and in summer winter. The director did address this though and said he wanted the audience who wouldn't be familiar with the kinds of struggles these people faced to relate in ways that would still make sense today I.e. dank and freezing.

Come off it, that time period has become such a niche part of the film industry if we want to see that type of thing you have to accept a little give. I'll take that over a generic action movie thanks.

Besides you've missed on far bigger issues either the film anyway, loading powder and then shot without wadding, not priming, closing the hammer on a clearly empty pan when shooting the bear all pale in comparison to the fact that the true story occurred on the plains not BC forests and in summer winter. The director did address this though and said he wanted the audience who wouldn't be familiar with the kinds of struggles these people faced to relate in ways that would still make sense today I.e. dank and freezing.
I don't think that showing the step-by-step procedure of loading a muzzle loader would have been a good use of time, but even those who wouldn't have a clue how it's done would still know that it has to be done ...... and that you can't shoot ten times in 5 seconds with a muzzle loader.

And anyone who has ever even been in the cold knows that the last thing you want is to get wet.

Just because it's a movie from an era you love doesn't make it good. I've played golf competitively most of my life, I am a student of the game, I love the precision, and a movie about golf where they hit oranges instead of golf balls, and used baseball bats to hit them, would still be a very stupid movie.

Directors always have excuses for their F-ups because to admit that they didn't know better would be a CLM (Career Limiting Move)

thank you sir, it has been giving me a fit to try & remember it.

I still have a handful of old Buckskinner magazines from the 70-80's and one of them has an article by one of the Buckskinners who was an extra on The Mountain Men, he mentioned how great it was that Charlton Heston (RIP) and Brian Keith (RIP) mixed in with everyone there at the end of each days filming, and what a gracious and sociable lady Victoria Racimo (RIP) was. All the RIPs hits one enough to realise the great Actors and Movies we treasure for so long.

I make a point of hunting down the DVD's and buying what I class as Classic movies for my collection, understandably Jeremiah Johnston and The Mountain Men are with me.

I want some of that magic, self drying powder they used in the Last Of The Mohicans. As I recall, they had to leap from the waterfall because their powder was "soaking wet". And, then were able to mercifully dispatch Maj. Heyward and fight on the mountain trail all without having to replace their powder.
WOW! the magic of HOLLYWOOD!

Under normal circumstances, I would not ever worry about a few grains of powder. But given the fact that I had to beg to get a hundred grains or so of 4F, I would be out pretty soon.

I probably primed and emptied my gun 15 times between Friday and Saturday and until I can find a pound of 4F, I am wanting to save every grain I can.

No need to sweat the short 4f supply. At home, pour out a small amount of the coarser powder into a non-sparking dish. Slowly and carefully grind and pulverize it into finer granules with another non-sparking object such as the end of a dowel rod. Dump the crushed powder into a closed container and start on another small pile in your dish. Repeat as necessary. In an hour or so you can make enough fine priming powder for quite a few shots.

Jeromiah “Johnston” (Redford!) That was Prit near A documentary to Biblical per portion accurate.

Hahaha

And About the Powder “That’s what a Armpit is for”

In the days of Elephant powder , I knew guys who took the lids off new tins and stood them in the sun for a few hours , they would usually loose a couple of ounces of water . They also took a cotton sports sock filled it with powder tied off the end and rolled it around to get all the fines out , then wash out the sock . Warning don't try this at home and the sock must be pure cotton .

While I can't recall the title I saw an old movie many years ago where Clark Gable, IIRC, was being rushed by Ricardo Montalban (sp?), an Indian. Gable loaded his rifle but never got the chance to withdraw the ramrod. So at almost touching range he fired sending the rod through Montalban.

While I can't recall the title I saw an old movie many years ago where Clark Gable, IIRC, was being rushed by Ricardo Montalban (sp?), an Indian. Gable loaded his rifle but never got the chance to withdraw the ramrod. So at almost touching range he fired sending the rod through Montalban.
WOW!! and he survived the ramrod shot? I saw him in films after that near death experience!!!

Back