• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wet powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajun

36 Cl.
Reaction score
The other day I ran in a big problem, wet powder. After 6 hours of sitting on my deer stand, I return back to my truck and decided to pull my patch round ball out to see if it would work. It did but, I notice only a small amount of black powder came out. Got home and had to use my scraper to get the remaining powder out. I did notice the patch I used that morning (was from a new packet) had a little more lube then usually. So, I'm thinking it's maybe a combination of two things. One the patch and two keeping the gun in a warm place (i.e., my home and gun case) and once removing it from the truck moisture may have formed in the barrel due to the temperature changes (it was in the low 30's). What says Ya'll, on the right track or not. Could it be something else. Also, I went to the range the following day with the same powder container and didn't have any problem with the powder going off. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

With my hunting loads, I like to place either a dry patch or a felt wad over the powder before seating the patched/lubed ball. Keeps the powder from being contaminated by the lube. Sometimes (if I am not very lucky) my gunwill stay loaded for the entire season. I also leave my gun in my un-heated garage between hunts. The temperature changes are gradual. When done hunting for the day I place a spent .22 short case over the nipple on percussion guns, or a feather in the touch hole on flint locks. A small party balloon is stretched over the muzzle of the gun for the entire season. Keeps moisture from running down the barrel, and it blows right off if the gun is shot.

With my hunting loads, I like to place either a dry patch or a felt wad over the powder before seating the patched/lubed ball. Keeps the powder from being contaminated by the lube. Sometimes (if I am not very lucky) my gunwill stay loaded for the entire season. I also leave my gun in my un-heated garage between hunts. The temperature changes are gradual. When done hunting for the day I place a spent .22 short case over the nipple on percussion guns, or a feather in the touch hole on flint locks. A small party balloon is stretched over the muzzle of the gun for the entire season. Keeps moisture from running down the barrel, and it blows right off if the gun is shot.
Thanks for the info and will do the balloon and placing my gun in the garage. Again thanks!!!

On a cap lock I cover the muzzle and when done for the day, put a small square of rubber gasket material on the nipple and set the hammer down on it. I once hunted in the rain for several days and had the devil's own time getting it all cleaned out of there. So if it is really raining I would cover the breech with something waterproof while in the woods.

On a cap lock I cover the muzzle and when done for the day, put a small square of rubber gasket material on the nipple and set the hammer down on it. I once hunted in the rain for several days and had the devil's own time getting it all cleaned out of there. So if it is really raining I would cover the breech with something waterproof while in the woods.
Thanks, and will do!!!

The other day I ran in a big problem, wet powder. After 6 hours of sitting on my deer stand, I return back to my truck and decided to pull my patch round ball out to see if it would work. It did but, I notice only a small amount of black powder came out. Got home and had to use my scraper to get the remaining powder out. I did notice the patch I used that morning (was from a new packet) had a little more lube then usually. So, I'm thinking it's maybe a combination of two things. One the patch and two keeping the gun in a warm place (i.e., my home and gun case) and once removing it from the truck moisture may have formed in the barrel due to the temperature changes (it was in the low 30's). What says Ya'll, on the right track or not. Could it be something else. Also, I went to the range the following day with the same powder container and didn't have any problem with the powder going off. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Most likely from your description the powder under the ball was not wet but compressed from loading which makes it stick in the barrels breech area. If you were using a commercial patch lube it may make a few grains stick to the patch but won't contaminate the whole charge. It's a good idea to use tape or a balloon over the muzzle to keep moisture out and to plug the nipple or vent hole with something though .

Most guns are stored pointed up. If you spray your barrel with a lube or run a well lubed patch down the barrel before storing it. The oil will run to the breech and can contaminate the powder. Always a good idea to run a dry patch down the barrel to soak up the oil.
You can also store pointed down and the oil will run out. Rest on a paper towel to soak up any oil that runs out.

Most guns are stored pointed up. If you spray your barrel with a lube or run a well lubed patch down the barrel before storing it. The oil will run to the breech and can contaminate the powder. Always a good idea to run a dry patch down the barrel to soak up the oil.
You can also store pointed down and the oil will run out. Rest on a paper towel to soak up any oil that runs out.
Great idea, thanks.

You could get finger cots from the drug store to cover the muzzle. They are like rubbers but for your fingers and they come in many sizes. They do keep the rain out of the bore,

I've had the same thing happen more than once but without any moisture. The powder was simply caked in the breech was all. I'd rather fire the gun & clean it than remove the load and spend time gouging out caked powder.

Back