• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just in pedersoli 12 guage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfruhwirth

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all!

Just stumbled accross a sweet deal on a 12 guage side by side pedersoli percussion shotgun.

Was wondering what you all use for loading your as far as powder, shot size, amounts, types of waddings - over shot and over powder. Very green with shotguns.
Been shooting muzzle loading rifles for years but could use a few pointers with shotguns!

TIA

:grin:

I use mostly #5 lead shot as well as #1 steel for waterfowl, in my Navy Arms .12. My standard load is 95 gr powder, overpowder wad, shot cup, 1 1/4 oz of shot (90 gr equivilent), and a thin overshot card.

Hey thanks for the info Rebel... but

Do you use and heavy wading? Is your over the powder a thick wading or just a simple thin wad as well?

Like i said i'm a green horn when it comes to these shooters.

:winking:

For over the powder use a thick card wad, about 1/4" thick. The over shot wads are real thin card board like cereal box thickness. I use Circle Fly wads. You can get them from most distributors. If you send me a PM with your mailing address i can send you some of each to see what i am talking about if that will help you.

Check out products from Track of the wolf. Use the links page here to find them.. They list the components and recommendations. Use a .135" card wad over the powder. You need to measure the bore of both barrels before ordering card wads. Your barrel may be 13 ga. or 11 ga. Get the right sized wads for the gun. Don't guess, and don't order 12 ga. componenet just because that is what is marked on the barrel.

I use a 2 3/4 dram load( 76 grains) of 2 Fg powder, a .135" card wad, then a lubricated cushion wad, then a overshot card wafer( about .10" thick, then 1 1/4 oz shot, then an over shot card wafer to hold it in. I use #8 shot for clay targets and #5 shot for hunting. I can lower the shot amount to 1 oz for skeet shooting, using #8 shot. I lube my cushion wads the night before with a solution of water soluable oil, liquid detergent, and hydrogen pyroxide. You can also use mineral oil, or olive oil, or mix either with a detergent, and beeswax, heated to make a thick soft lube to rub on the cushion wads. Put mine in a sandwich sized plastic bag to take to the range. they don't dry out that way. With this wet cushion wad, my gun stays one shot clean all day long. Only on very humid days do I find I need to run a dry patch down to get out some of the moisture and crud between loadings. Always clear your nipples with a fine wire, and then by firing some caps off, then checking the barrels with clean patches to see how much grease and oil are still down in the chamber and the channel running to the nipples. If your gun has spent any time standing upright with oil in it, you probably should pull the nipples out, and flush with denatured alcohol, and dry before reassembling to shoot. You don't want oil in the channel because it may be too thick to burn out cleanly. Then your gun stops shooting after a few round have built up dried crud to block the channel. If this happens, the work begins. You almost always have to stop and get some hot water down the barrel to dissolve the blockage. Avoid this problem by cleaning out the oil before you go to the range.

Hey, Wez! Lucky you! I'm hoping one of those Pedersoli 12's is in my future....they sure look nice.

Sounds like you're getting good advice. I've got shotgun barrels for a couple of my TCs and have fun shooting at clay targets with them. I use Circle Fly wads, which I got from DGW. Also had pretty good luck with the plastic 12 Ga. shotcups I use for cartridge reloading.

Mine have screw-in choke tubes. The tighter chokes aren't quite the problem to load that I'd been led to believe. Modified choke is no big deal as I recall; but full choke can be tough.

I settled on the 80gr./ 1-1/8 oz. load; but 70 gr./1 oz. is plenty for clay pigeons.

If you don't have one already, get a foot-launched clay pigeon thrower. That'll allow you to go out and target shoot by yourself without having to bore someone else while you reload and fuss with the smokepole. It'll also keep you from getting distracted while reloading by talking with your target tosser. Loading a single barrel ML shotgun takes more concentration than a ML rifle in my experience. And loading a double, takes twice as much...to state the obvious. On a double, I'd think the tough part would be coming up with a loading system that avoids double loads and makes sure each barrel gets everything it needs.

And make doubly, triply and quadrupally sure both barrels are uncapped before loading.

Have fun!
Bob

Great Info guys here's a few pictures I just took this morning. Picked her up at a steal for $110, with a little shot and a few other odds and ends. My buddy asks me how i can sleep at night with a deal like that..
Trust me I sleep great! :grin:

pedersoli_double_1.jpg

pedersoli_double_2.jpg

pedersoli_double_3.jpg

The serial number on it is 20152, does anyone have any information on how old it may be. It's not like the new ones with screw in chokes. This one measures .705/.710 in each barrel repectively.

Thanks again for info!

:thumbsup:

Yea, you should be ashamed of yourself for that deal. Just so you can live with yourself maybe you should pack it up and ship it to me. :grin: I really think you will like the double. Just be sure to uncap the other barrel before reloading if you only fire one shot. Have fun with it.

Rebel said:
Just be sure to uncap the other barrel before reloading if you only fire one shot. Have fun with it.

Great advice.. Thats something to keep in mind while out doing a little hunting and only popping off one barel... Thats assuming I'm a good shot and only need the one barel!

LOL

:haha:

That's a nice looking shotgun! I really enjoy my Pedersoli 10 ga. Purchased it new about 3 years ago. It doesn't have the screw in chokes, either. Circle Fly wads work great with either one thick card and one cushion wad over powder, or two thick cards over powder.

Dixie Flinter do you hunt turkeys with your 10 gage? I also have a 10 gage without chokes but it's not much good past 25 yards. I don't know if I'd trust it on gobblers. Do you have a load you think might work well on them? I've tried the standard load set up, powder, heavy card, fiber wad, ect.. :confused: ssettle

Can't believe the deal on your Pedersoli! Easily worth three or four times the price! Lots of good advice in these forum pages, I would suggest a little searching and an hour or two of reading will put you well ahead of the curve on your new guns care and feeding requirements. I have enjoyed mine hunting waterfowl, upland game including turkeys, and though I have not yet taken it afield for deer, it puts two big round balls in a pie plate at 50 yards. Enjoy!

hey wez you done did it fella thats a winner I got the same one and I paid 250 for mine an I'm not complaining one bit . I've had a ball with mine so far . the one you got was made befor pedersoli was putting chokes in them sort of an econnemy model trying to compete with some of the compitition at that time . Anyway I emailed pedersoli with my serial numbers and they got back to me very quickly and told me mine was made in june of 1980 and made for shipment to the USA and depending on condition it would be safe to load with the same data as ones made today . I didn't mention in my email that my gun was in shiny new condition so with that I was as happy as you are . If I were to guess when yours was made I would say the later 80s according to your serial number. You have a 12 ga pedersoli with what they call cylinder bores meaning the bores are the same diameter all the way down to the end . If you go to circle fly to get your wads and cards you will oder 13 gage components as 12 gage wads and cards will fall out the end of your barrel but 13 gage will fit perfectly for your gun don't ask why as I can't go into it this second anyway circle fly is at gary butler enterprizes R.R 2, box384 Oberting Road Lawrenceberg, Indiana 47025 phone # 812/537-3584 . as I didnt oder mine from them they may send you to a distributor of theirs I don't know if they deal direct . when I got my stuff I got 1000 over powder cards and 1000 over shot cards and 500 cushion wads all for about 25 0r 30 bucks the stuff is realy cheap get yourself some and get out an have a ball oh don't forget percushion caps I haven found any of those cheap yet they just keep going up in price out here in Ca.

wez a couple more things to ad I dont see a ram rod in your pics if you didn't get one buy a senthetic rod and sense shot sells for about 25 dollars a bag Iwould start out with #5 shot being the most versitile size for a 12 gage like yours myself I;ve got #2 4 5 6 8 and 10 sized shot I've been collecting it for a while I've found it at swap meets for as little as 5 bucks a bag I even found some ina scrap metal yard someone turned it in for scrap ya gotta look around ya know. have fun

WEZ I may have given you some inacurate info as I just checked my barrels and mine measure .726 diameter you said in your post yours measured 705 to 710 . your barrels are probably choked I would do as I did and email pedersoli and find out for sure I'm sure they can tell you exactly what you have If it were modified after it was made you could see it . If your unable to get with pedersoli take it to someone qualified to tell you just what you have . If it is choked from the factory you even got a better deal than you think you did . It just gets better don't it anyway sorry for some of my first response to you post I try to be as accurate as I can but I jumped the gun I better go out and shoot my sxs .

ssettle said:
Dixie Flinter do you hunt turkeys with your 10 gage? I also have a 10 gage without chokes but it's not much good past 25 yards. I don't know if I'd trust it on gobblers. Do you have a load you think might work well on them? I've tried the standard load set up, powder, heavy card, fiber wad, ect.. :confused: ssettle

25 yards is about the limit. 110 grains 2f, 1 1/2 oz. #5s, one overpowder card and one cushion wad OR same as above except TWO overpowder cards and no cushion wad. Actually, the right barrel (impvd cyl)seems to pattern better than the modified barrel. Are you sure your 10 ga. has completely cylinder bore barrels? Took a 20+ lb. gobbler with 10" beard on first hunting trip with the last load. 18 yards. The previous year I shot one almost as large with a CVA 12 ga. double at 13 yards.

Recommend using decoys and setting them up at 20 yards.

Nice deal! I paid $395 for mine a couple of years ago. I just patterned the heck out of mine before our turkey season opened, and I found the load to work best in mine as follows: 80 grains of pyrodex( am going to try real BP after season), 1 over powder card, 1 fiber wad lubed with Crisco, 1 1/2 oz. shot and a thin over shot card. I get a respectable pattern at 30 yards, putting between 10 and 15 pellets in a target the size of a turkey head. I tried a lot of combinations, as there are as many as there are guns, and this is what shot the best in MY gun. No replacement for time on the range. I really like mine, and am real glad I bought it.
Good luck,
Bryan

Heck of a deal WEZ, I just saw one in The Gun List for $350 and was tempted at that price. :grin:

One great deal on the shotgun!! It looks just like mine a Navey Arms double. Got it for my birthday in 1973 won't part with it at all. Great shooter using 77 Gr FFG and 1oz. to 1 1/8oz. shot usually 5's or 6's. It has chrome lined bores and choked .700 x .708, walnut stock and the proper flat checkering. Browned barrels,extra set of nipples and a worm (real one not piece of twisted wire) for drawing loads not fired. As I recall the finish was a satin varnish or laquer, didn't like it and used automotive rubbing compound to bring up a gloss that I like. Nicest thing about it is the weight 5 1/2 pounds, can carry all day in the field and not get tired as all supplies are in pockets of field jacket. Others I've hunted with couldn't understand at end of day why I was still fresh. They of course were carring there newfangled Remington auto's and Winchester M12 pumps. They had five shots I had two don't need but more than one! Enjoy your new toy.
Remember always buy never sell. And they don't eat. TF

Back