• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought a Pedersoli W. Moore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been wanting one of these ever since I bought a LePage. I would have preferred a flinter, but for $350 I couldn't pass it up. If it shoots anything like the LePage, I will be extremely pleased. I already have a round ball mold and shooting accessories for it. The seller gave me a custom holster and an extra ramrod that I wasn't expecting. Anybody have one?
W Moore pistol.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I've been wanting one of those for a long time. You got a super deal on that one... The pistol appears to be in excellent condition, and you have a nice-looking holster for half the cost of a new pistol!

Good for you!

Notchy Bob

Wow! I've been wanting one of those for a long time. You got a super deal on that one... The pistol appears to be in excellent condition, and you have a nice-looking holster for half the cost of a new pistol!

Good for you!

Notchy Bob
I put the minimum bid on gunauction.com and got an email a few days later saying I had won. Turns out, no one else placed a bid. In my younger days I never was much of a pistol guy, but lately I really have gotten into them.

The older, blued version of this pistol is a lot better-looking than the matte chrome finish on the new ones, to my eye.

You can put me next in line...

Notchy Bob

I currently have 4 Pedersoli pistols, including a Chas Moore. I have had good luck with most of them..except for the Bounty Hunter...it's been a pain. Probably a 20 lb. trigger pull from the start.

Sorry to brag but I have two Charlie Moore flintlocks, two Charlie Moore percussion locks and a Harper's Ferry 1807 pistol. They breed like rabbits. I wish that I had the time and talent to make wooden cases for them like the dueling sets of yore.

Moore Flintlocks.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpg

KEEP THEM SEPERATED SO THAT THEY CAN'T DO THAT THING, CALLED COPULATION! remember that it will happen even in the best of families??? put a sock over the barrel, that might do the trick?? BTW. they are the most beautiful set's of them that I have ever seen. who sells them?

I have both the Charles Moore in percussion and flint. Both are wonderfully done and very accurate. I'm starting to get the Ole Man shakes but the percussion pistol has never failed me

thank you so much for the response to my query, WOW, NOW THE PRICES!!. toot.

If it fits within your budget, you won't regret it. Here are some things to keep in mind.

The flintlock pistol has a hooked breech. So the barrel is easy to take off and clean on the outside as well as the inside.

The percussion lock pistol does not have a hooked breech. So the fouling on the exterior of the barrel between stock and lock are a little more challenging to remove.

The single set triggers will go off if you breathe on them. Okay, I'm exaggerating. However, they are so light that they fail to register any weight on my trigger scale.

The technique for firing with the single set trigger is a little difficult to describe so I beg your indulgence.

When I grasp the pistol, for firing, I put the finger well away from the trigger until it is set. Don't even think about getting it close or touching it.

Next, I take my non-firing thumb and push on the back of the trigger to set it. Remember to keep that trigger finger away from the trigger!

Then I use the non-firing hand to cock the hammer back. Keep that trigger finger away from the trigger!

This is the part that takes practice, patience and concentration. Position your trigger finger to that the top-side is rubbing up against the wood underneath the pistol.

The object is to drag the upper portion of your finger against the wood as you are starting to pull the trigger. This accomplishes two things.

(1) It prevents you from moving the trigger finger too fast and prematurely setting the gun off until your sights are aligned with the target.
(2) It prevents you from exerting too much pressure on the trigger causing you to "jerk" it to set the gun off.

You can practice this technique with the pistol unloaded and the hammer down. The hammer does not need to be cocked to set the trigger.

There are probably better techniques and obviously better shooters than me. However, this is the technique that works for me.

If I had to pick a favorite over the other, I think I would choose the flintlock. The reward for hitting the target with a primitive fire control system is one that cannot be described with mere words.

I have a pistol dueling tree but cannot find anyone to "duel" with me on the tree.

In other words, two competitors stand about 10-20 paces from the dueling tree. all you need are two plates.

Both competitors stand facing the tree. The pistols are held at an angle toward the target for safety. The competitors may choose to set their triggers or not.
At the command to cock their pistols the shooters will keep the pistols angled down and facing the target. Then they will cock the pistols.

The next commands will obviously be followed; ready - aim - fire.

If either or both plates are hit, the first shooter's plate to swing to the other side is the winner.

If they both miss, they will be asked if satisfaction has been met and they can go on their way. I cannot imagine anyone on this forum being satisfied till the steel plate has swung to the other side:)

If there is one drawback on these pistols it is that the front sights are too low. This results in a point of impact that is too high. However, I'm told that my technique for holding the pistol is incorrect. I should be holding it higher on the grip. So I still have work to do.

Oh well, that means I'll just have to shoot the pistol more!

BTW, I only use a 15 grain charge of FFFG. You don't need much. I've also coned the muzzles with Joe Wood's coning tool. Kiss the ball starter goodbye. Accuracy hasn't been affected.

FOR SALE - Muzzle Coning Tool

thank you so much. every thing points to all positive. I too will bite the bullet and go with the flintlock, there goes the better part of $1000.00, OH WELL?

Just an OT I looked at the Cherry's pistol page. Haven't seen current BP replica prices for maybe 5 years and now astounded!. Are those prices in pesos, lire or dollars? If the latter i think we are all in trouble.

Latest posts

Back