• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Juried Rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why were period concerts so long? Because the musicians spent half the time retuning their gut string instruments. The other half of the concert, they just played out of tune.
To some extent that is true, gut strings a very suspectable to heat and humidity but when tuned well the sound is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Just what a dieing sport needs, more rules created by nerds to make it harder for anyone to participate.
There are a lot of loose events, and more relaxed rendezvous
To want to attend a juried event means you want to be as authentic as possible
Unless your already moving in that direction you may well not know about these sort of events at all

First I’ve heard of such an event. Can see where they would want this. Is this the standard for all of their events or just once a year? My line of reasoning is that they’d want to do this dog&pony show for some annual historical event then the monthly gatherings would be more relaxed to get new members in & up to speed.

Not my cup of tea but not going to twinkle on their campfire for doing it.

First I’ve heard of such an event. Can see where they would want this. Is this the standard for all of their events or just once a year? My line of reasoning is that they’d want to do this dog&pony show for some annual historical event then the monthly gatherings would be more relaxed to get new members in & up to speed.

Not my cup of tea but not going to twinkle on their campfire for doing it.
Ft Charters has the one per year.
They have lots of events and even the trade faire is open to public during visiting hours
Fort Osage also has regular events.
In general juried events do have some visiting hours
Many museum have some sort of closed event. Some guys I meet with in Arrowrock Mo did a Santa Fe trail event at Bents fort. It was very hard core
You have to want to go down that path to get to one, but are open to newbies.
It amounts to a civilian version of military. Just as people who want to put on a military camp set rules, so folks that want to do a time frame want an event where all are trying to stay in that time.
Even then it’s a little iffy
I think Charters is a forty year long period

The entire reason for many of these events is to (briefly) step away from the current/modern era. This is very hard to do when there are too many farby outfits. Ren-fairs are for fantasy, Rondys are for pre 1840 & juried events are time/place specific. There are those who have been "newbys" for 20+ years.
I guess I just don’t understand how what someone else is wearing or sleeping in affects your experience. I get that you don’t want someone camped next to you blasting rap music over a stereo but limiting what type of eyeglasses or shoes the other guy wears seems ridiculous to me, but I don’t do any reenactment so really don’t care how they are run.

Just don’t go then. They want a certain thing. If you’re unwilling or unable to comply, don’t go —it’s THEIR event. How hard is it? This us not a happy-happy, joy-joy world that all are free to participate in.
I think you missed my point if we get them hooked with shooting they will maybe continue to come and participate. If we don't grow our sport we die! cowboy action was all the rage and now is doing terribly part of the reason is the clothing requirements. The shooting is the hook.

I guess I just don’t understand how what someone else is wearing or sleeping in affects your experience. I get that you don’t want someone camped next to you blasting rap music over a stereo but limiting what type of eyeglasses or shoes the other guy wears seems ridiculous to me, but I don’t do any reenactment so really don’t care how they are run.
I don't mind the rules honestly. But its not like they are technology free. The public is walking around, news people with cameras in your face or wanting to do an interview. The you tubers do live podcast things. They are dressed in modern attire and its not frowned upon. They do ask some rather silly questions about the "rubber" chicken (real chicken) that's roasting over an opening fire. Or how can you live like this with no electricity - and what do i do for money since i don't have a job. I'm like I don't really live here everyday of my life, this camp is temporary. Some don't understand the passion and its our job to educate them and actually show them history that's no longer being taught in schools. Most events close to the public at a certain time. But its tough trying to shoot with a spectator videoing you or taking pics especially with a flash. Some people are annoyed by the spectators and the questions but in reality they pay an entry fee usually and make the events possible with those payments. They also buy food and items from vendors, and some get a chance to throw a knife and hawk, or even shoot a flintlock. It is these people that will become the future of muzzleloading if they are treated right by those that are participating. I am there for my own personal enjoyment and the interaction with my fellow man/woman. I love entertaining the kids and telling them far fetched stories like the time I seen Bigfoot. Heck I have even convinced the older kids to split my firewood for me - while telling them it's a camp chore and to give it a try. Either you love the lifestyle or you don't, then there's some that just like to get out and shoot and that's fine too. When I run open shoots no primitive attire is needed, but is required for the annual rendezvous.

So..........

Why do you shoot muzzle loaders?

I think you missed my point if we get them hooked with shooting they will maybe continue to come and participate. If we don't grow our sport we die! cowboy action was all the rage and now is doing terribly part of the reason is the clothing requirements. The shooting is the hook.
This argument never made sense to me, "You must include everyone or the sport will die"

Inlines? Cartridge guns as long as they look old? Scopes?

IMHO Cowboy action shooting shot themselves in the foot (feet?) when they got away from the history and became USPSA for six shooters and short stroked lever guns.

Personally, I think juried events enhances muzzleloading and gets historically oriented people participating, There are a lot of places to shoot other variations of the spoart.

So going to church or a fancy wedding where everyone else is dressed up & someone shows up in cut-offs & a tee does not impact the experience for the others? It is a way of saying that I don't care or that I don't think your event is worth my bothering to meet standards. It leads to others thinking that if the one doesn't care why should I & the event begins to die.
At night, after the public hours are over and the camp is lit by candles & campfires, one can think that it must have been something like this. But one bright white Coleman lantern destroys the image.

I didn't mean to create controversy here. I have no issues following group/event rules to participate. The coordinator has emailed me back and I will be sending in pics to be vetted to compete. He was very welcoming and polite. I don't plan to camp but I never do when attending an event for the first time (Bad experience once) so I can feel the group out and determine if they are the type of people I want to spend a weekend with. Most are no issues but one was a nightmare.
Ohh do tell- give us the details !!

I didn't mean to create controversy here. I have no issues following group/event rules to participate. The coordinator has emailed me back and I will be sending in pics to be vetted to compete. He was very welcoming and polite. I don't plan to camp but I never do when attending an event for the first time (Bad experience once) so I can feel the group out and determine if they are the type of people I want to spend a weekend with. Most are no issues but one was a nightmare.
I would love to go but what gets me is that I work and if I take off on Friday and get there before noon I would have to pack all my gear in since no vehicles are allowed after Thursday, I get it about the vehicle entry but I would still have to pack gear in or find a cart or dolly, wheel barrow , whatever to assist. I did that at Fort De Chartres this past fall but was camped up near the road where I could pull off the side of the road and unload a pile of gear, go park my truck then come back to my pile and slowly move it to the closest camp site I could find. Maybe a walkabout but to drive four hours to check out what might not be much for a couple hours then drive back four hours would not be much fun. Just my 2 cents.

Ohh do tell- give us the details !!
Well it was the first time I attended a particular event and was greeted well at the beginning and they were happy to have me and my buddy. Long story short I ended up beating their VP in a shoot off for the Grand AG. Thats when the dynamic started to change, later that night the same guy and his buddies were straight up drunk and started to voice their personal opinions loudly about "Outsiders" coming in and winning "HIS GUN" that was top prize. Eventually others told them to calm down and quiet down, this lead to him getting more angry thinking we ratted them out. He then came over wanting to get physical. Now I am 6'6' 260 at the time and still in the Army so young and built, he was about 60 short and fat. His buddies came up on my friend who is 6'3" 250. They were told to just go back to their camp nicely numerous times, nope didn't listen. Other club members asked/told them to go back to their camp and stop bothering us. Then one spit on my friend, My friend threatened to beat his butt (edited). Then his other buddy threw a chunk of firewood hitting my buddy with it. I grabbed my buddy to keep him from going after the guy. Other club members grabbed the other guys and the debacle was over. The President and several club members came over to apologize and said they were taking the guys home and not to worry about it anymore. The next day they said that they were pushing to have him removed as the VP and all removed from the club due to their actions and apologized again. We went back to the fall event thinking the guy was gone nope... We seen him and asked for our money back not needing the drama. Sad, part is the group as a whole was great people, the bad was the VP and his buddies were the founding members of the club, so in the opinion of the other club members they felt they were entitled. Now my rule is attend the event as a shooter only first time and feel it out and see what kind of people the organization is if we have a good time and mesh well, we will camp the next time.
Ohhh that club also no longer exist due to lack of members.

Last edited:
Back