• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Juried Rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
How picky are they usually for a walk in at a Juried Rendezvous. There is one a about 3.5 hours away from me with $25,000 in prizes and I haven't heard back from the POC on the flier. My clothes are proper and all my rifles are custom built, and have a smoothie being made right now as well. Also I am not new to rendezvous and competed in them through out the country but all were non-juried.

Attachments

• 289566-LH-Postcard-back-edited-1-.jpg
    289566-LH-Postcard-back-edited-1-.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I saw that but I don't see the rules for a juried event. Is there a jury that determines if your gear suits them? I've never heard the term before.
Typically, they say yes or no you can participate. Someone or a group is the deciding factor. With 25K in prizes hopefully like they will not prevent outside competition from shooting.

Looks like the juried events are the things listed below "juried events". In other words it looks like those listed events will be judged by a jury..... Best camp, etc. If not the case, the flyer could use a re-write or expansion to clarify.
With the wide range of dates the whole event can't be too "juried".

Last edited:
Usually they spell it out. Coolers have to be hidden, no modern coffee pots, lanterns etc. Clothes, no polo no jeans etc. Friendship has a primitive range rule certain matches must be primitive dress. Never figured out what that is when I see a guy shooting in a polo shirt, khakis and flip flops this last fall. But yea the judge and jury could be stitch counter type vs let us enjoy the day and be close to period correct.

The April Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres is a juried event. Each applicant receives a detailed list of the juried requirements and must submit a photo of their camp and a photo of themselves in their outfit. At the event participants are reviewed by members of the jury. As long as you meet the published list of the juried requirements you will be fine. Some requirements can be a bit tough. No modern glasses. Must have proper footwear. No plastic in camp. No modern cigarettes or cigars. No coolers in camp. No cameras. Once you have participated in an event such as this, you will find these to be the best of the Rendezvous. You will truly feel as if you are in the 18th century.

How picky are they usually for a walk in at a Juried Rendezvous. There is one a about 3.5 hours away from me with $25,000 in prizes and I haven't heard back from the POC on the flier. My clothes are proper and all my rifles are custom built, and have a smoothie being made right now as well. Also I am not new to rendezvous and competed in them through out the country but all were non-juried.
Just my opinion based solely on my interpretation of how the flyer is written and my limited understanding of juries events....
There are events that are juries and if your clothing and equipment don't meet the standard you don't get to participate at all. I believe this is so that when the public is allowed in for a day to observe and ask questions, and accurate representation is given. I don't think these events are common. And, I don't interpret that flyer to mean that this is one of them. It looks to me to be a standard event with juries and awards for the different categories listed. I doubt that would make it okay to participate in Levi's or fatigue pants and an Arcteryx jacket while staying in a syl/nylon tent.

I could be all wrong and I hope you get a response from the event coordinators as I'd love to know the real answer.

Toilet paper allowed? :ghostly: ;):oops:
Yes, a modren set up for that many people requires a set of hooters and usually some sort of water source
You can have a small group that goes out in to the woods as fully immersed. But that would be small, a half a dozen and invetation only.
I’ve been to two juried events. Trade faire of Chartes several time and 1812 event at ft Osage both were just common sense
Even at Chartes I saw on a hidden angle a guy light his brazer with a bic, but you see dedication to keeping the camp in time

A Juried Rendezvous Sounds ominous. Is this where the so-called stitch police come in?
Oh no! 😯

Someone or an organization might have standards.

Shocking.

How judgemental and non-inclusive.

Someone should organize a protest. Maybe run around and splash those elitist participants with pink and purple glitter paint...... 🙄
But yea the judge and jury could be stitch counter type vs let us enjoy the day and be close to period correct.
Can't possibly be actually period correct and "enjoy the day."
Those pesky standards and the folks who try to uphold them just ruin everything for everyone don't they 😞

Grenadier1758 has everything correct and I have also been to the April Trade Faire at Fort de Chartres several times and know some of the judges.

Get a picture of yourself in your kit preferably with an appropriate background (Woods, log cabin, whatever) and if you plan on camping a picture of your tent set up and then submit that as well.

Note that this event is not taking place until September so the organizers probably will not be in a hurry to respond to your submission and without pictures their only response will probably be "send pictures". The judges usually have lives outside of these events and will get to you in time.

Does that mean my ol' lady needs to bring a water bucket?
Oh my, your a better man then I am Gunga Din.
I refer to my wife as a sweet young thing. Ol’lady from my mouth has been found dangerous to my health😂
But yes you do need some sort of water container in your camp.
You can get a barrel, or have a covered jug in your tent though at a juried even you don’t expose it to the outside world. That means it needs be covered when filling
I have a three and a half gallon camp cooking pot.
Mine is tin plate from Turkey foot traders, but Avolon Forge sells one in stainless steel boil water in the pot over the fire and no one can tell it’s stainless

Last edited:
I can understand if a person wants to play pretend but ....................have never understood what being in period has to do with shooting ? Shooting from the bag ok, have to use a traditional ramrod that fits in the thimbles ok, cut at the muzzle patches ok but does that mean no modern lube will that eliminates most of the homemade lubes ( if it wasn't available pre 1840 ) ? And what difference does it make if I'm wearing jeans and a polo and your in a breech clout other then if your built like me it's really ugly when I strip that far (70 year fat man ). I have no problem with equipment restrictions
( although I don't have a problem shooting against a in line that has to use a patched round ball I've never lost a match to 1 yet ) and if your going to have a true primitive event and going to count threads and all that other B***S*** then maybe no fake powder should be allowed ? So I repeat what does pretending have to do with shooting ?

I can understand if a person wants to play pretend but ....................have never understood what being in period has to do with shooting ? Shooting from the bag ok, have to use a traditional ramrod that fits in the thimbles ok, cut at the muzzle patches ok but does that mean no modern lube will that eliminates most of the homemade lubes ( if it wasn't available pre 1840 ) ? And what difference does it make if I'm wearing jeans and a polo and your in a breech clout other then if your built like me it's really ugly when I strip that far (70 year fat man ). I have no problem with equipment restrictions
( although I don't have a problem shooting against a in line that has to use a patched round ball I've never lost a match to 1 yet ) and if your going to have a true primitive event and going to count threads and all that other B***S*** then maybe no fake powder should be allowed ? So I repeat what does pretending have to do with shooting ?

HERE WE GO!!!!!

Shooting is only part of a juried event, If I had a time machine I would love to visit Fort de Chartres anytime between say 1740-1760 or so, I would not like to stay, I enjoy hot showers and indoor plumbing to much. But there is so much we do not know about their daily lives.

Sometimes when I go to a juried event I do not even shoot, but it is the closest I will get to experiencing history as they lived it and having conversations with like minded people who do historical research that may be different than mine and so I learn. I am not interested in the military encampments but admire their dedication. I get to examine rifles, horns, quill work etc. etc. that I do not get to see at other places.

I get to see how other people take their historical knowledge and interpret it to the best of their 20th century abilities, it is not for everybody and that is why it is juried, if you only want to shoot in your blue jeans that is great, more power to you and there are plenty of places to do that.

This sport has people who only want to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a BP gun (people like Idaho Ron), people who only want to extend their hunting season, people who only want to be competitive in their local club shoots and then people who love going to juried events.

It is all good, just different.

Back