• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jug Choking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Who are some reputable builders who jug choke barrels? Just looking to send a barrel off to have it done, not actually having one built. I know Danny Caywood offers these services, but seems he does 20 gauge and up (I’m looking at the possibility of having a .58/24 done).

I also see some contradictions between posters and builders about accuracy on shooting PRBs out of them. Is this true, or just a wives tale? I’m sure quality in jug choking can play a role in this department? Primarily want to use this future flinter as a turkey and small game gun with the the possibility of taking it deer hunting as well. Hit me with all of your pros and cons on choking your smoothbore (just not to death!).

I also see some contradictions between posters and builders about accuracy on shooting PRBs out of them. Is this true, or just a wives tale?

Yes...No....Maybe

Jug choking does work. Unfortunately, whether it messes with round ball accuracy remains to be seen until you test it.

I will point out however, that part of the problem may be with patching a round ball in the smooth bore. The patching does not fold the same way each time, so that introduces inaccuracy while with a rifle the grooves are the same each time so the folds of the patch are the same each time. This might be why there are currently no known sources that document using a patched ball in the smoothbore in the 18th century.

So when that patch hits the jug choke, it's no longer being held snug against the side of the ball..., when the ball hits the constriction point beyond the jugging... if that patch hasn't 100% come away from the ball, it's then going to really mess with accuracy.

So probably a ball very close to the bore size, with a wad between it and the powder, and a ball of tow over top..., might be much better for a jugged choked barrel and hunting deer than a patched round ball in the same barrel.

LD

Of course, as @Loyalist Dave says, load development is paramount in assessing accuracy on target. Try those loads out. There is nothing in the historical shooting records to indicate a patched ball for shooting in a smoothbore other than as part of a paper wrapped cartridge. And then jugged chokes are totally absent from the historical record. The use of wads is very much a part of the description of the shooting of smooth bored guns.

I have shot a lot of round balls out of my jug choked 12, no patch slipping or inconsistent accuracy problems. I shoot a .700 ball with a .026 patch cut at the muzzle out of a .720 bore. I do have a rear sight on my fowler to help with aiming.

I should add; I use a short starter and smack the ball hard with the 6" starter once it is just inside the barrel, it sails by the jug in a micro second. I do put a wool wad between the powder and ball to keep the powder off the lubed ball if I leave the gun loaded for a while during deer season.

Kills deer just fine, this one ducked when the pan flashed, I spined him, the finishing shot in the neck was at about 25 yards.

smoothbore buck 001.JPG

I posted this the other day when another jug choked/PRB question came up. My fowler hates .690 balls but loves the .700s (Tanner mold). This is with 90gr of 1F, my gun hates 2F as well. This is at 25 yards.

fowler small size ball target.jpg

Last edited:
Who are some reputable builders who jug choke barrels? Just looking to send a barrel off to have it done, not actually having one built. I know Danny Caywood offers these services, but seems he does 20 gauge and up (I’m looking at the possibility of having a .58/24 done).

I also see some contradictions between posters and builders about accuracy on shooting PRBs out of them. Is this true, or just a wives tale? I’m sure quality in jug choking can play a role in this department? Primarily want to use this future flinter as a turkey and small game gun with the the possibility of taking it deer hunting as well. Hit me with all of your pros and cons on choking your smoothbore (just not to death!).

Back