• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Josey Wales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwildey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just watched this great movie yet another time and have been trying to figure out what Josey is carrying. I narrowed it down to a pair of Colt Walkers and an 1860 in his belt but can't see the one in the shoulder rig close enough to tell what it is. Anyone know?

You may want to look here: D. Adler: THE 4 GUNS OF JOSEY WALES, in Guns of the Old West, 2007, 10-11, 17
Long Johns Wolf

Pretty sure it is a pocket navy in his shoulder holster.

Don

Don said:
Pretty sure it is a pocket navy in his shoulder holster.

Don

I reckon a few whistled Dixie afore they fouund that out the hard way! :haha:

Davy

in the movie it was a .31 Colt

in the book it was a 36 Navy in the shoulder rig.

in the book he carried 5, 1860 Army models, 2 butt foreward, 2 butt back and one in front of the belt, along with the other 6-8 he had on the horse.

I was sure that is what it was, but couldn't tell if it was a short barreled 44.

When and for how long did Colt make a "pocket Navy"? I had always thought it to be a .31 1849 pocket pistol 5 shot, I recall some short barreled sheriffs models of some of colts guns I think, but the pocket Navy does not ring a bell.

I dont know but I sure would like to have them. I got the new 2008 hunting master catalog from redhead-bass pro and on pg.559 there is a pistol thats called Josey Wales. Its .36cal. The gun looks good to me the price does not. Its $429.99

Gote Rider,
Most likely be $200 less except for the
movie.:hmm:Would not be the first time a movie
drove up the price of a movie item. Tell me
Clint Eastwood didn't drive up the price of the
.44 magnum or at the least made it popular. :hmm:
snake-eyes

snake-eyes said:
Gote Rider,
snake-eyes

Do you feel lucky Punk! Will do ya? :hmm: :blah:

Davy

Dang Davy your on a roll! :haha: TG the 1849 was built till 1873, more made than any other Colt, you could get a ,Poney Exp ect over 200 kinds made, like the 51 Navy they both came out in 1850. Oh ya I ran pcs on the hand gun part on here of some of those take a look under fw about 3 to 5 months back?? 3" is the short one of these and a mess of them made. As reb727 said they added a 1862 Navy then Police Colt called these "The Pocket Navy, Police. The Trapper at 3 1/2" is short barrel for 49 and 3" for the 49 oh ya the Walker is the big boy Fred :hatsoff:

If you liked the movie, the Josey Wales novels, by Forrest Carter, are even better - "Gone to Texas", the one made into the Eastwood movie, and the sequel, "Vengence Trail of Josey Wales."

Also, by Forrest Carter, is the excellent story of Geronimo, "Watch for Me on the Mountain."

snake-eyes said:
Gote Rider,
snake-eyes
Kind of like when the movie Jeremiah Johnson came out in the early 70's. They played up the Hawken Rifle in 50 caliber or better and everybody getting interested in black powder shooting had to have one of those TC Hawken's like Redford had in the movie!.....Trouble was, Robert Redfords rifle was not a TC, but a Navy Arms brand plains rifle!.....Thompson sales sky rocketed that year!
Caught me too! Saw the movie and went down the next day and bought me a TC Hawken in 50 cal. w/Maxie Ball mold included at K-Mart for $179.95 assembled..no kit! BOY!, have those days changed!
Rick

Back