• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Johnson Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to admit to being a "peepaholic." No...that doesn't mean I stare into people's windows! :grin: I like peep sights. I've used several kinds and frankly the old Thompson Center has been a favorite.

For my flintlocks, however, I did not want a "modern" looking peep. I decided to install the Johnson Peep Sight, available from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, on my Jaeger. I went with brass since there is already a lot of well-patina'd brass on the gun, including the ramrod. This is a fixed peep, but I didn't seem to have any issue with the fact it was not adjustable.

Thought I'd share a few pics. I have a Williams Twilight Aperture installed that has a 1/8" hole and is 1/2" in total diameter. While I'm sure that size is not optimal for perfect target groups, it's great for hunting in low light conditions. Since my Jaeger rear sight was quite low, I also put a new, higher sight on front and basically have to sight in all over again.

062414 Installed Johnson Peep Sight by mdheaser

062414 Installed Johnson Peep Sight 3 by mdheaser

062414 Installed Johnson Peep Sight 2 by mdheaser

Here's a view I have through the peep at the target 50 yards downrange.

062414 View through the Johnson Peep Zoomed by mdheaser

As a side note, I saw a question on here once about how long patches made with the Dutch system will last. These denim patches were made up a full year ago and sealed in a Tupperware. Still work great.

The target pic below was at 50 yards. The first shot was a purely horrible flinching shot as I have to admit that even though I was super careful in drilling the two screw holes for this sight and made sure I still had plenty of steel under them, I was a bit "flinchy" on that first shot thinking of the sight blowing off the gun or something! :redface: These are also my first shots of the year at a target and frankly it took a while to get back in the groove. My first five were definitely left. Moved the front sight over and shot 5 more, which almost got me there. 3 more was all I had time for and I was satisfied with this start.

No filing until I try 75 yards. It's pretty much on at 50. I may also narrow that new front sight up a bit to get a more crisp target view. Far from finished, but a good start.

062414 Sight Setting Target by mdheaser

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the photos. I had been looking at those sights for a future project and now I can see that one will work just fine. It really looks good on your rifle.

Rifleman1776 said:
sights is nice looking. But, not being adjustable I'm wondering how you zeroed it. You may have partially answered though. Did you adjust by drifting and filing on the front sight only?

Correct...front sight only. I haven't done any filing yet...just drifted. The new front sight I choose had a height I suspected would be close based on how much higher the peep was over my former rear sight. Turned out to be pretty much right on at 50. I like to be zeroed at 75, so I'll have a little filing to do.

If one didn't mind another 1/10" or so of height, it would not be hard to make a base that this sight screws to and has a dovetail. But I have almost never drifted or filed a rear sight, have pretty much always only had to drift the front a little one way or the other and file. Now, with the TC peep, I could be "lazy" and just to all the adjusting with the peep. :wink:

The Williams Twilight Apertures are on sale right now at Midway USA for $8.49. They only carry the 3/8" total width versions, but I figure that's a little less "intrusive" looking anyway.

It really looks like it belongs on there and it clearly shoots well. Very nice job. Thanks for posting that.

I went ahead and bought that Johnson peep sight from muzzleloader builders supply. I also ordered 2 050 (Small) Aperture since they didn't have a bigger one figuring I could always drill it out bigger if I needed to. Did you find that you also had to replace the front sight with a taller one after getting the rear peep sight installed

Back