• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Peep sight cleanup help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
So, this is my first peep sight and usage of one. It came with my shorty T/C Hawken. As you can see in the pic, it is in need of some cleanup. Is this sight meant to come apart so I can clean some of the rust of that windage screw? I did verify that it turns and the sight aperture moves sideways. I don't want to try and disassemble it if its not meant to be taken apart. As always, any suggestions and help greatly appreciated.

thumbnail_20230921_151644.jpg

Kroil.

And as a personal favor, get rid of that Phillips head screw.

Eeewwww.

If you're handy, tear that sucker down and build it back up when cleaned and lubed.

if you are not comfortable taking it apart remove it from the rifle and soak it in a small can with kroil . let it soak over night then clean with a small brass brush. best to take it apart if you can. and yes loose the phillips head.

After a little research, there is no way I could take this apart and get it back together. Got the Kroil in today and it is now soaking and penetrating the screw threads. I turned it a couple of turns and now get a nice click. Will let it sit overnight. Also got the peep aperture in and so far the little one is working. Will keep the other as a backup.

One last update! If you ever have doubt about Kroil, be at ease as that stuff works! After a little more than 24hrs soaking, I hit it again with a brush and now have free turning and clicks with no hitches. Threads look great now and I'm really liking this peep.

20230924_171633.jpg

Back