• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JB Weld on frizzen to hold powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

What’s your opinion on this?

This guy recommends adding JB Weld to the bottom of a frizzen and then filing it back to hold priming powder in place for hunting.

Seems like a good idea, but it’s certainly not traditional.

two things. i do not use 4f hunting, i use what is in the horn, 3f or 2 f, another thing, if there is enough of a crack to dribble powder out, i take my hammer/frizzen off and stone the two mating surfaces flat where you cannot see daylight when the hammer/frizzen is on the pan. i never have that problem after that no Jb weld on my gun please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Any of the above methods that are used to waterproof the interface between the pan and frizzen will either be lost in the first shot or after a few more shots. This means that you will have to apply it again in the field no matter what you used originally be it wax, JB weld or whatever. If you got your deer or whatever game you are hunting then that's fine but if you are still out there in the rain - well your gun is going to get WET - my two cents worth.

Place the touch hole in the proper position and fill the pan and close the frizzen. The frizzen should be what holds the powder in place, not a bunch of goo.
And how many pan to frizzen mate ups are perfectly square? I'd bet less than 100%.

I use the lube because I have it, and it's easily wiped off at the end of the day. It in essence forms a gasket to protect the powder somewhat from moisture.

To me, using JB weld is a stupid idea.

Latest posts

Back