• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who does Lock work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This .45 rifle I've got with the unidentifiable lock, I just can't get good spark out of it. When I got it the frizzen was beat all to hell. It had been "dry fired" many, many times probably with little success since the vent was just a pinprick in the Douglas barrel. I drilled out the vent to 1/16th, polished up the frizzen and did the "Cherry Red" treatment. That got me about 2 or 3 out of 5 tries would get me enough spark to actually fire the thing. Repeated the "treatment" a number of times with no improvement. I think that frizzen is shot and needs replacement. Also, thing never did like to go into halfcock. If I set or hold the rear trigger back, I can get it into halfcock, but it don't "Click". When I took thing apart to clean it up, I noticed a lot of tool marks on the tumbler and the corner of the breech plug. Someone had taken a file to it and the halfcock notch is nearly nonexistant. I don't have the tooling to make a new tumbler and I certainly don't have any idea what firzzen to buy to replace this one. Any suggestions as to who I might send this thing to to get it "Tuned Up"?

Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading is your man. I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to paste in a link with this touch-screen device I’m using here, but you should find him with an easy search. He fixed two for me and I can vouch for the quality of his work and his service.

I have read that Lee Shaver will tune locks, but I have no personal experience dealing with him. Also, I understand that the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio has at least one gunsmith on staff who can tune locks. The only other one I know of is Dan Stavlo at Lodgewood Mfg., but his real specialty is “defarbing” reproductions of 19th century military arms, and last I heard, he was swamped and not taking new work right now. I can say Dan fixed a problematic Euroarms C.S. Richmond lock for me, including fitting a new tumbler, and he did a really fine job.

There are dozens or maybe hundreds of people who assemble or build muzzleloaders, either from scratch or from kits, but not that many who will fix them when they have a problem. Not many whom I know of, anyway.

Finally, I saw your comment about the “unidentifiable lock.” If you would post clear photos of your lock, one of the outside and one of the inside, the Muzzleloading Forum’s “Brain Trust” may be able to identify it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading is your man. I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to paste in a link with this touch-screen device I’m using here, but you should find him with an easy search. He fixed two for me and I can vouch for the quality of his work and his service.

I have read that Lee Shaver will tune locks, but I have no personal experience dealing with him. Also, I understand that the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio has at least one gunsmith on staff who can tune locks. The only other one I know of is Dan Stavlo at Lodgewood Mfg., but his real specialty is “defarbing” reproductions of 19th century military arms, and last I heard, he was swamped and not taking new work right now. I can say Dan fixed a problematic Euroarms C.S. Richmond lock for me, including fitting a new tumbler, and he did a really fine job.

There are dozens or maybe hundreds of people who assemble or build muzzleloaders, either from scratch or from kits, but not that many who will fix them when they have a problem. Not many whom I know of, anyway.

Finally, I saw your comment about the “unidentifiable lock.” If you would post clear photos of your lock, one of the outside and one of the inside, the Muzzleloading Forum’s “Brain Trust” may be able to identify it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Yeah, Lodgewood got a major article in the NRA magazine, "American Rifleman" and got so much work from that that they're fully loaded for now, apparently.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Pictures are included in this post: Well, I went and did it..

Last edited:
This .45 rifle I've got with the unidentifiable lock, I just can't get good spark out of it. When I got it the frizzen was beat all to hell. It had been "dry fired" many, many times probably with little success since the vent was just a pinprick in the Douglas barrel. I drilled out the vent to 1/16th, polished up the frizzen and did the "Cherry Red" treatment. That got me about 2 or 3 out of 5 tries would get me enough spark to actually fire the thing. Repeated the "treatment" a number of times with no improvement. I think that frizzen is shot and needs replacement. Also, thing never did like to go into halfcock. If I set or hold the rear trigger back, I can get it into halfcock, but it don't "Click". When I took thing apart to clean it up, I noticed a lot of tool marks on the tumbler and the corner of the breech plug. Someone had taken a file to it and the halfcock notch is nearly nonexistant. I don't have the tooling to make a new tumbler and I certainly don't have any idea what firzzen to buy to replace this one. Any suggestions as to who I might send this thing to to get it "Tuned Up"?
Cabin Creek.

Back