• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jax Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the process for blackening brass using this stuff. I followed instructions an bottle bit nothing really happen. Maybe my entry thimble got a litter darker but nowhere near black.

Thanks

I've used that stuff and it's really, really fast. I can only guess that you didn't degrease the brass? You're sure your thimble is real brass? My brass turned almost black in under two minutes and I had to immediately rinse to stop process and then card to bring it back to "patina" level.

Note: I just remembered that I used full immersion instead of rubbing it on.

Is this on a rifle you're building or are you refinishing a pre built one? There could be a coating on the brass preventing a reaction from occuring, similar to how brass doorknobs are done to prevent tarnishing.

From what I've seen on clean brass the reaction is almost instant. Let the brass sit in a solvent for a half hour and see if it gets a crinkled orange peel look on the surface that'll let you know immediately what's going on and it'll need scrubbed off.

Last edited:
Is this on a rifle you're building or are you refinishing a pre built one? There could be a coating on the brass preventing a reaction from occuring, similar to how brass doorknobs are done to prevent tarnishing.

From what I've seen on clean brass the reaction is almost instant. Let the brass sit in a solvent for a half hour and see if it gets a crinkled orange peel look on the surface that'll let you know immediately what's going on and it'll need scrubbed off.
Yes! Some brass has a clear finish that would withstand re-entry on a space probe! I'd like to try JAX black at some point. Good tips.

Parts are from Kibler Woodsrunner. Just finished sanding.
Once you have your sanding to your liking, put on some latex gloves and throughly wipe down with denatured alcohol and place the part on some clean paper towels. The parts will air dry quickly, just a few minutes. Then you can either pour your Jax Black into a clean plastic tub and immerse the part completely, or apply with a clean cotton cloth, or apply with fine scotchbrite, or fine steel wool. The immersion method is the fastest, almost immediate. Use 0000 steel wool to draw the color back, re-apply the Jax Black as needed if it's too lightly colored. Once you get the color you want, spray the part throughly with WD-40. Let it sit a few minutes, wipe it down with clean paper towels, then spray it down with an oil of your choice. Keep the latex gloves on until finished. Then your done.

As a side note, I prefer to use Jax Brown on brass and use Jax Black on iron & steel.

Back