• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JAX Black Question - Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to finish the iron parts of my Kibler SMR. I see that Jim sells the "JAX Black - Brass Bronze & Copper Darkener" to use on iron parts and the barrel. I also see that JAX produces a "JAX Black - Iron, Steel & Nickel Blackener." Does anyone know the difference? Why would Jim sell the product for brass to darken iron?

Thanks!

Ben

Hi, I am about to finish the iron parts of my Kibler SMR. I see that Jim sells the "JAX Black - Brass Bronze & Copper Darkener" to use on iron parts and the barrel. I also see that JAX produces a "JAX Black - Iron, Steel & Nickel Blackener." Does anyone know the difference? Why would Jim sell the product for brass to darken iron?

Thanks!

Ben
Kiblers sells Jax Black, recommended for iron and steel. And Jax Brown, recommended for brass. They both say brass, bronze, copper darkener. This Jax Black is what I use on steel with very good results. If they have another Jax Black product, I’m not aware of it.

Attachments

• A65745F1-3192-4CE4-A9D4-768AA92C16D2.jpeg
    A65745F1-3192-4CE4-A9D4-768AA92C16D2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Kiblers sells Jax Black, recommended for iron and steel. And Jax Brown, recommended for brass. They both say brass, bronze, copper darkener. This Jax Black is what I use on steel with very good results. If they have another Jax Black product, I’m not aware of it.
Thanks! Kibler does not sell the one for Iron, but JAX makes it. Just wondering what the difference is.

Thanks! Kibler does not sell the one for Iron, but JAX makes it. Just wondering what the difference is.
Best to contact Jax and ask, I’d like to know too. And as 64 Springer said you can call Kibler and ask why they don’t offer the other product and if there’s much or any difference. Like to know that too. I’ll be placing a supply order with them soon and I’ll try to remember to ask that too.

Best to contact Jax and ask, I’d like to know too. And as 64 Springer said you can call Kibler and ask why they don’t offer the other product and if there’s much or any difference. Like to know that too. I’ll be placing a supply order with them soon and I’ll try to remember to ask that too.
I will give Kibler a call and report back.

I used the Jax product from Jim on my SMR. It worked great on everything except the barrel, and butt plate. Not sure why, but I couldn't get an even color on those two parts. I tried multiple times.

Still, I really like the way the rifle looks.

I used the Jax product from Jim on my SMR. It worked great on everything except the barrel, and butt plate. Not sure why, but I couldn't get an even color on those two parts. I tried multiple times.

Still, I really like the way the rifle looks.
I agree that it’s not straightforward to use. I’ve used it on 2 barrels and several locks. I’ve found that you almost have to draw back the entire 1st coat, especially the darker areas. It may look like it’s all rubbed off, but it’s not. The second coat goes on even after doing this. I rub it in with synthetic steel wool, some use denim. And I rub it in firmly. Then draw it back again to the color you want.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle...153186451&utm_content=Brownells Branded items
IF you are looking for an even black color use the above. I buy it by the quart. Apply it like Jim did in his video, with scothcbrite, ONce it bites evenly, then work it even with degreased steel wool and more solution. I like to warn the steel up to be cozy but not hot. Heat accelerates most all chemical reactions.
That is a good product. And I’ve been wanting to try it. I plan to get some to try on the barrel of the trade gun kit I’ve got coming. Good thing is on either one, if you don’t like it, strip it off and start over.

And I’m going to try cutting it with water, as much as 50/50.

Any pictures out there of guns finished in Oxpho?

I used the Historic Houseparts Bronze darkened on a Chamber's rifle to a decent result.

Last edited:
A few examples are attached.

Attachments

• DSCN9584.JPG
    DSCN9584.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
  • leman.png
    leman.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • td1.jpg
    td1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 0