• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

JAX Black Question - Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am about to finish the iron parts of my Kibler SMR. I see that Jim sells the "JAX Black - Brass Bronze & Copper Darkener" to use on iron parts and the barrel. I also see that JAX produces a "JAX Black - Iron, Steel & Nickel Blackener." Does anyone know the difference? Why would Jim sell the product for brass to darken iron?

Thanks!

Ben
I used the Jax Black on 2 barrels so far. Works fine. I just wipe it off with a damp cloth when I am done.
The pistol in the stand is a 45 the other is a 50.
I use the same technique on the 50 that I will use on my Jim kibler when I get it.
Used Jax black on the barrel on both.
The anticipation of getting the kibler kit is killing me.
Ordered it about 6 weeks ago

Attachments

• 20230312_152159.jpg
    20230312_152159.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230308_172459.jpg
    20230308_172459.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
I used the Jax Black on 2 barrels so far. Works fine. I just wipe it off with a damp cloth when I am done.
The pistol in the stand is a 45 the other is a 50.
I use the same technique on the 50 that I will use on my Jim kibler when I get it.
Used Jax black on the barrel on both.
The anticipation of getting the kibler kit is killing me.
Ordered it about 6 weeks ago
Thanks! I am using Jax Black on an SMR, it works great, and I am very pleased with the results.

So from what I am getting from these posts are the Jax Black from Amazon is OK to use because it specifically says for Iron and Steel. Not the stuff Jim sells.

So from what I am getting from these posts are the Jax Black from Amazon is OK to use because it specifically says for Iron and Steel. Not the stuff Jim sells.
Jax sells a solution specifically for steel, but Jim Kibler says he prefers the Jax Black for brass to use on steel. So I use Jax Black on steel and iron and Jax Brown on brass, even though both make no mention of steel. I’ve been pleased with the results on 3 different builds. I actually called Kiblers to address this question.

I refinish a lot of rifles, mostly TC and CVA in muzzleloaders. My method is when barrel has been filed down I take Tetra Blue and Rust remover with 0000 steel wool it will slick the finish up real quick. Then use Tetra Gun Blue to finish the barrel. This product is amazing

Jax sells a solution specifically for steel, but Jim Kibler says he prefers the Jax Black for brass to use on steel. So I use Jax Black on steel and iron and Jax Brown on brass, even though both make no mention of steel. I’ve been pleased with the results on 3 different builds. I actually called Kiblers to address this question.
I am so glad this question was answered and worded correctly in a manner I could understand completely, Thank you so so Much TDM….

The Jax Black product Kibler sells is the "Jax Black Brass, Bronze & Copper Darkener" and it is also suitable for iron, and specified as so in the description, and it will produce a barrel that is somewhat to very black, depending on how many coats you apply. The "depth" of the color can be easily moderated by number of coats and/or steel-wooling to give the desired "patina" effect. This is (if I remember) five coats of the product with steel-wool carding in between:
IMG_3594.JPG

I'm so satisified with the Jax Black product that I ordered another bottle of the black AND a bottle of the brown for brass.

Last edited:
That is a good product. And I’ve been wanting to try it. I plan to get some to try on the barrel of the trade gun kit I’ve got coming. Good thing is on either one, if you don’t like it, strip it off and start over.

And I’m going to try cutting it with water, as much as 50/50.
Distilled

Latest posts

Back