• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Rifle or Long Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What caliber do you typically hunt with ?
I got out of muzzleloading when I moved to SE Alaska in 1980. Too many damn brown bears to be fooling around with a muzzleloader. Before that I hunted deer with a 54 and rabbits with a 32. Since I moved to Arizona a couple of years ago I've been hunting with a 45 that I built in 1979. So far it's accounted for one javelina. Thinking back on it I can account for 6 deer that I shot with the 54. I don't have a whole lot of tales to tell about muzzleloader hunting but I have always been impressed with how well soft lead round balls work on game. My ancestor seemed to think that a 40 was good enough since I have his rifle. I don't think that, within reason, caliber is as important as the ability to put the ball where it should go.

I got out of muzzleloading when I moved to SE Alaska in 1980. Too many damn brown bears to be fooling around with a muzzleloader. Before that I hunted deer with a 54 and rabbits with a 32. Since I moved to Arizona a couple of years ago I've been hunting with a 45 that I built in 1979. So far it's accounted for one javelina. Thinking back on it I can account for 6 deer that I shot with the 54. I don't have a whole lot of tales to tell about muzzleloader hunting but I have always been impressed with how well soft lead round balls work on game. My ancestor seemed to think that a 40 was good enough since I have his rifle. I don't think that, within reason, caliber is as important as the ability to put the ball where it should go.
Thats really cool that you have your ancestors rifle. My father has my Great Great Grandfathers musket which is a Maryland Militia 1808 Contract Musket .69 caliber which he bought in 1859 upon coming to america and he has his Maryland Militia Rifle given to him in 1864 by the State of Maryland which is .58 caliber. My father also has my great grandfather's .52 caliber underhammer rifle and his 4 Bore punt gun for illegal fowl hunting that people used to indulge in back in the early 20th century. Im seeing a lot of .54 cal reccomendations thanks for the suggestion.

My favorite hunting rifle is a 72 caliber English sporting rifle styled after a Purdey. It has a 32” barrel. It handles easily in a vehicle and in the woods. It’s not a jaeger, but it encompasses the same philosophy (in my opinion).
C5BF859B-041E-4C43-9FD0-16C9C7003F3D.jpeg

That said, I’m hard on the hunt for a flintlock longrifle. I love the look and history. I want a 45 for plinking and small game - maybe a whitetail. Once you’re in the woods they handle well also. That’s my $0.02 worth. As everyone else advised - get what will make you happy.

(By the way, there are two beautiful jaegers in the for sale section now. One is a custom build and one is an original.)

Last edited:
My favorite hunting rifle is a 72 caliber English sporting rifle styled after a Purdey. It has a 32” barrel. It handles easily in a vehicle and in the woods. It’s not a jaeger, but it encompasses the same philosophy (in my opinion). View attachment 133698
That said, I’m hard on the hunt for a flintlock longrifle. I love the look and history. I want a 45 for plinking and small game - maybe a whitetail. Once you’re in the woods they handle well also. That’s my $0.02 worth. As everyone else advised - get what will make you happy.
Did you shoot that squirrel with a .72 ball or did you load shot ? Just asking lol, thanks for the suggestion.

A .54 is nice because it really seems to change the handling of some of the heavier rifles. For example, I don't care for the way a .50 Lyman GPR handles, but enjoyed my .54 alot.
I will share that I was supprised with how the fowler I bought handles in the woods. I tend to hunt thick stuff that other hunters won't bother with, and thought I would be hung up or banging into something all the time with that long barrel. I did not find that to be the case at all. The only odd thing was that until I got used to it I would bump the butt stock ocassionally. This was my second winter with it and it didn't happen at all, so I just had to get used to it.

Did you shoot that squirrel with a .72 ball or did you load shot ? Just asking lol, thanks for the suggestion.
I actually have two barrels. One is a rifled 72 caliber. I use a .715 patched round ball. The other barrel is a 12 gauge smoothbore (shotgun) barrel. I was turkey hunting with the smoothbore barrel (no luck) but got the squirrel as a consolation prize.

My father also has my great grandfather's .52 caliber underhammer rifle and his 4 Bore punt gun for illegal fowl hunting that people used to indulge in back in the early 20th century. Im seeing a lot of .54 cal reccomendations thanks for the suggestion.
Actually it wasn't illegal to hunt with a 4 bore punt gun in those days. It was hunters supplying the markets in the cities with the game that city dwellers ate. Market hunters have had a bad reputation for decades as the ones who killed off all the game but all they were doing was supplying city folks with meat and fowl. If there hadn't been a market for the game there wouldn't have been any market hunters.

Also, if you shoot unmentionables the style you prefer will give you a clue. To me, long rifles are or should be slim and graceful, like the way '92 Win with iron sights carries in your hand. The Jaegers and Hawkins type rifles tend to be stout, and feel like a Rem 700 in the hand. Always exceptions, but that has been my general experience.
How many original Jaegers have you actually handled and shot? I have only handled and shot half a dozen or so, but found them ‘slim and graceful’, with no hint of them being stout. For comparison, almost every contemporary Jaeger I have head in my hands was a crude club in comparison to any original.

An English Gentleman's rifle in .54 would do nicely . This is my one . It has a 34" barrel , is powerful , light and easy to carry . I have fitted an aperture rear sight because my eye sight aint what it used to be and I don't like missing a target I hate missing or even worse wounding a deer . This rifle is based on a J Henry English style trade rifle shortened down to make it better for deer stalking . I was inspired by Jim Chambers English Gentleman's sporting rifle Jim Chambers Flintlocks
P1020124 (6).JPG

SDS, I was talking about contemporary Jaegers, and probably should have specified such. It does not suprise me that originals are graceful. I've spent a lot of time reading Mike Brooks discussing the difference between original fowlers, Lehigh, and Rupp guns to what is offered in modern kits to know that it takes a real craftsman to build in that gracefulness.

Actually it wasn't illegal to hunt with a 4 bore punt gun in those days. It was hunters supplying the markets in the cities with the game that city dwellers ate. Market hunters have had a bad reputation for decades as the ones who killed off all the game but all they were doing was supplying city folks with meat and fowl. If there hadn't been a market for the game there wouldn't have been any market hunters.
The state of Maryland made illegal all hunting of fowl with a bore larger than 10 in 1834 so what is 10 gauge now is the biggest allowable since 1834. The 4 bore was made in 1831 in England.

SDS, I was talking about contemporary Jaegers, and probably should have specified such. It does not suprise me that originals are graceful. I've spent a lot of time reading Mike Brooks discussing the difference between original fowlers, Lehigh, and Rupp guns to what is offered in modern kits to know that it takes a real craftsman to build in that gracefulness.
Again, I am not an expert by anyone’s standard. All I know is that large caliber original short barrel (24” to maybe 32”) guns I had the opportunity to shoot in Germany and Austria seemed lighter, quicker, easier to handle and pointed better than TC Senecas and Cherokees I have owned as an example. Guessing most would call these guns Jeagers. And it tends to get my hackles excited when I read folks stating opinion based on what they have read rather than experienced, no offense intended. A guy like Mike Brooks who has handled hundreds of original guns, when he (and others with similar experience) speak, I listen, no matter what I may think.

I try to be clear in my posts when talking about my experience vs what I've read. I don't have a lot of experience with original guns. I do have a fair amount of hands on experience with modern / BP / replica firearms. My point to the OP was just to think about what guns he's held / carried that felt good in his hands. As you know from your experiences, every person is a little different in what feels right to them. I actually do hope someday I'll hold a gun with a 1 1/8" ATF breach that feels slim and graceful, so far that has not been the case. It may never be because I tend to like slim rifles. I hope that clears the air a little, and I'll be more clear in the future about my opinions based on what I've read and my opinions based on my actual hands on experience.

I admire the look of a PA long rifle most. With that said, I'm a hunter first so I'm more concerned with fit and function. I want the weight to balance at my fore hand and the correct lop and drop, when I can sholder it with my eyes closed and when I open them I should have perfect sight alignment if I dont then it dosen't fit and you'll always have to adjust to get it. I hunt with both sort and long guns. A 28" .54 Hawken, 32" .58 jaeger, 42" .32 long rifle, 44" .54 and .62 long lifle and a 44" 20 bore fusil de chasse. They all balance and fit the way I want so they're are a pleasure to shoot. I've carryed all of them in the thickest woods with no problem, if I had to pick my favorite it would be the Fusil de chasse which translates to "Gun of the Hunt" and it is. it's the lightest and I killed a whitetailed buck, doe a black bear and 2 gobbler in the same season so good memories. You have to sholder them and if you feel it then buy it. Or buy both and sell the one you like least. If you can. Good luck with your search.

Recently ive been on an almost literal hunt for my first muzzleloading rifle. Most shops either have nothing new or they are selling used consignment rifles for the price of a racehorse. Anyhow Ive been doing some searching online and have come across two sets of rifles I am interested in. My question is what are the Pros and Cons of both a Jaeger Style Rifle or a Long Rifle of the same caliber ? It would be a hunting rifle whatever I choose and it will be Whitetail Deer that will be hunted. Range would typically be shots of a maximum of 85 yards (maybe 100 when I get very very good one day). The land I hunt is mostly flat and the woods arent very thick so movement is easy. That being said I cant really find anything on the two as comparisons besides everyone mentioning overall length or arguing period correctness. If anyone has recommedations for exact rifles i.e. brand, type, caliber or length that they prefer please do feel free to comment. Thank you to all who reply.

Short burials are easier to cite if you have to make a quick shot long barrels are nice for looks tell you the truth my best hunting rifle was a 45 caliber Flintlock TC hocking in the barrel is no more than 26 inches

I admire the look of a PA long rifle most. With that said, I'm a hunter first so I'm more concerned with fit and function. I want the weight to balance at my fore hand and the correct lop and drop, when I can sholder it with my eyes closed and when I open them I should have perfect sight alignment if I dont then it dosen't fit and you'll always have to adjust to get it. I hunt with both sort and long guns. A 28" .54 Hawken, 32" .58 jaeger, 42" .32 long rifle, 44" .54 and .62 long lifle and a 44" 20 bore fusil de chasse. They all balance and fit the way I want so they're are a pleasure to shoot. I've carryed all of them in the thickest woods with no problem, if I had to pick my favorite it would be the Fusil de chasse which translates to "Gun of the Hunt" and it is. it's the lightest and I killed a whitetailed buck, doe a black bear and 2 gobbler in the same season so good memories. You have to sholder them and if you feel it then buy it. Or buy both and sell the one you like least. If you can. Good luck with your search.
Thank you very much, Ive had a couple people PM me with the importance of having a smoothbore or a Fusil in your deck of cards so Im gonna look into one when I get a nice deer rifle.

The one YOU like best is the only real answer. They both do the job well. A good rifle like these is a very personal choice and even more important than picking a wife.
Fit is perhaps the most important criterion in selection of a rifle. If it doesn't fit, then you won't like it and it won't shoot on target.

Back