• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Target or Jägerbüchse identification very long and massive Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

German Jäger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello friends today I want to show you my new German Schützen or Jaeger Rifle!
It was a very long and massive rifle,Bore Diameter 15.8 mm it has a very nice iron sight Aparture on it. Very nice woodwork, and all in new silver.
On the Barrel was Manufakturer and Town “Neustrelitz” this was only 50 km from my hometown, so it is arrival what was manufactured in my region.
Yesterday I tried it at the range at 50 m it has super groupings with round ball they touch each other! Diameter ist 15,8mm Zaria was very long and heavy for a German Jager but at the Triggerguard it has Deer and Hunting Scenes?
Who can help? What is that for a rifle hunting rifle or a target rifle or maybe both thank you a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    852.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    979.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Could be used for both, but that’s a hunting leaf sight. I’ve read where some hunters over there used high seats, or stands, so a heavy gun wasn’t a deterrent. The gamekeeper may have earned his keep packing it around all day!

Ok but is with the size its enormus great and heavy so all my Jaegers are max: 110cm the are like a Longrifle Size in Jäger look and in hunting size caliber 15,8mm. Have anyone more ideas ore equal rifles?

Maybe it was made for a sportsman who was going somewhere with big mean game to shoot, and wanted it heavy to tame recoil.

Very nice quality hunting / target grade Jaeger !

Original big bore Jaeger rifles have long been my favorite for shooting competition & big game hunting due
to their inherent long range accuracy, fine ballance & light weight.

All the Flint & percussion era Jaegers I've owned, shot & observed have had deeper rifling in .014-.018 range with close to one-turn in length of the barrel.
Most of my Jaegers were in the .70 cal range, with the proper PRB combination were capable of producing near one hole group accuracy with 80 grains of 2F & plenty of knock down power for big game..
Most current production 'rifle' barrels feature shallower slower twist rifling & lack the rifling depth to properly grip & stabilize patched round balls with heavier rifle sized charges unless the PRB is very tightly loaded.

Relic shooter

Could be used for both, but that’s a hunting leaf sight. I’ve read where some hunters over there used high seats, or stands, so a heavy gun wasn’t a deterrent. The gamekeeper may have earned his keep packing it around all day!
There are a number of such rifles about 12 bore all seem to be about early percussion or late flint converted . ide say meant for large game I've two in my work shop one has a German Town maker .Ile try get you a photo & more precise info there in bits needing restoration .
Sams observations are sound but the two here are not heavy .Ime not used to metric I don't use it but your 15 +mm,s seems biggish Ile try get my vernier it has metric on it .
More then annon Regards Rudyard

Longer barreled Jaegers;
Over several decades of collecting & shooting Jaegers I have run into a few longer barreled Jaegers & they have been ornately carved & engraved similar to German Jager's rifle.

Below are photos Swiss Jaeger made in Geneva with a 34" long multi-grove rifled barrel with typical close to one turn in length of the barrel..
It is .70 cal. & started life as a flintlock & lock was later converted to percussion, I recently re-homed to a more active younger forum member.
This Jaeger with its swamped barrel only weighs 7.25 lbs.

It's my opinion after decades of collecting & shooting original Jaegers, this well crafted but unadorned rifle's 'unique features' indicate it was constructed as a long range military sniper rifle.
Features;
-Jeagers have long been favored for military use, those built for target shooting & hunting are usually much more ornate & of smaller caliber.
-The notches in this rifle's 3-leaf rear sight & front sight blade are cut so fine that the sights would only be effective in good light.
-The rounded lug on the trigger guard appears to have been designed to with a fitted portable or rampart rest.
-Unusual thumb screw originally provided rapid lock plate removal to clean & replace flints before being converted to percussion.

Some believe America's smaller bore rifled long rifles are stretched-out versions of the Jaeger.
Relic shooter

Attachments

• IMG_E1769.JPG
    IMG_E1769.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_E1791.JPG