• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger in museum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This .70 cal. Jaeger is in the Ralph Foster Museum at Point Lookout, MO. which I visited this past weekend. There is little info given about it except it is ca. 1750. And, the barrel is NOT swamped.

flintJaeger.jpg
[/img]

This .70 cal. Jaeger is in the Ralph Foster Museum at Point Lookout, MO. which I visited this past weekend. There is little info given about it except it is ca. 1750. And, the barrel is NOT swamped.

flintJaeger.jpg
[/img]

A rifle from a private museum about 30 miles from the Ralph Foster museum at Point Lookout, MO. This museum is in Golden, MO. I am not expert enough to outright declare this rifle a Jaeger. It may be but I'll just say, to my eye, it sure looks Jaeger-ish or a Jaeger type. No info given. I find it interesting that it, and the other fine old muzzle loaders in this case are exhibited with shotgun shells and a can of Red Dot powder. :confused:
What say the jury, is it a Jaeger?
BTW, again my obsession with the obsessed, the barrel is NOT swamped.

Jaegertype.jpg
[/img]

A rifle from a private museum about 30 miles from the Ralph Foster museum at Point Lookout, MO. This museum is in Golden, MO. I am not expert enough to outright declare this rifle a Jaeger. It may be but I'll just say, to my eye, it sure looks Jaeger-ish or a Jaeger type. No info given. I find it interesting that it, and the other fine old muzzle loaders in this case are exhibited with shotgun shells and a can of Red Dot powder. :confused:
What say the jury, is it a Jaeger?
BTW, again my obsession with the obsessed, the barrel is NOT swamped.

Jaegertype.jpg
[/img]

Well, I don't call any of them a "Jaeger"! :haha:

Nice German rifle in the center. A good, middle grade gun. North/central German.

Wheel lock rifle below that, can't see it all that well, maybe Bavarian?

The blunderbuss on the bottom looks Italian. Could be Spanish, can't see it well enough either.

Well, I don't call any of them a "Jaeger"! :haha:

Nice German rifle in the center. A good, middle grade gun. North/central German.

Wheel lock rifle below that, can't see it all that well, maybe Bavarian?

The blunderbuss on the bottom looks Italian. Could be Spanish, can't see it well enough either.

It has a Jaeger-like trigger guard doe's it not... :haha: I wonder if a target rifle of the time would have had a straight tapered barrel or not.

I like the wheellock also.

It has a Jaeger-like trigger guard doe's it not... :haha: I wonder if a target rifle of the time would have had a straight tapered barrel or not.

I like the wheellock also.

Now, the one at the top of this page (from the other now merged thread) is very North German-Dutch looking. I suspect that the barrel is tapered and flared, just not very much (nothing was really straight at the time!). It does look pretty straight in this picture though! I'd have said that it was more like 1710 or so. How long is this barrel?

They did a lot of big, heavy barreled target rifles (15-20 lbs.), with long, heavy, straight-ish barrels, with hooks or flanges or some other apparatus for hooking the muzzle end of the gun against a bench. They also often have a pull out shoulder rest in the buttplate! :grin:

Now, the one at the top of this page (from the other now merged thread) is very North German-Dutch looking. I suspect that the barrel is tapered and flared, just not very much (nothing was really straight at the time!). It does look pretty straight in this picture though! I'd have said that it was more like 1710 or so. How long is this barrel?

They did a lot of big, heavy barreled target rifles (15-20 lbs.), with long, heavy, straight-ish barrels, with hooks or flanges or some other apparatus for hooking the muzzle end of the gun against a bench. They also often have a pull out shoulder rest in the buttplate! :grin:

I am curious,
Why is the Jaeger trigger guard larger than North American styles?
Is it common to wrap some of the fingers inside the guard?

I am curious,
Why is the Jaeger trigger guard larger than North American styles?
Is it common to wrap some of the fingers inside the guard?

No, the fingers grip the triggerguards. It is essentially a pistol grip. I am amazed at how later American rifle triggerguards shrank to (for me) utterly unusable proportions. :idunno: I have often wondered at this phenomenon, since I'm pretty sure that mens' hands were not larger in Germany, then shrank when they got here, and now they've grown again... It seems to have been purely a style thing. Guns got scrawny, so they made the triggerguards scrawny too.

No, the fingers grip the triggerguards. It is essentially a pistol grip. I am amazed at how later American rifle triggerguards shrank to (for me) utterly unusable proportions. :idunno: I have often wondered at this phenomenon, since I'm pretty sure that mens' hands were not larger in Germany, then shrank when they got here, and now they've grown again... It seems to have been purely a style thing. Guns got scrawny, so they made the triggerguards scrawny too.

With reference to the private musuem jaeger, are you sure it's not swamped? Perhaps there is a taper and flare, just not as drastic as today's reproduction barrels.

With reference to the private musuem jaeger, are you sure it's not swamped? Perhaps there is a taper and flare, just not as drastic as today's reproduction barrels.

Back