• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It Happened Again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Friday, my buddy, Don & I went hunting on one of our hunting club’s properties. I walked in about ½ mile to an area that we know the deer travel thru when they’re pushed off the top of the mountain while Don took a long walk around to the other side & back up over the top. I got into place & waited. I was sitting on a rock facing the steep ridge that the deer come down when they are moved off the top. The plan worked out great. It wasn’t long until I heard the racket of three deer walking down off the top about 80-90 yards to my left. I pulled the cock back & rested my left elbow on my knee to get a stable aim. The deer stopped & one gave me a clear shot. As I squeezed the trigger they started to move, but when the smoke cleared enough to see I could the deer on the ground making its last kick. I reloaded and, since I had two tags, sat back down to wait in case any more deer came by before Don got there. About ten minutes later I saw another bunch of deer (at least a half dozen) run down off the hill farther away than the first three. There was no chance of even considering a shot at any of them. Don followed them only a couple minutes later, but he was on the track of the ones that came by when I shot. He was dragging a deer behind him too! When he got down to my deer I got up & walked over. We talked for a minute & looked at the deer. I saw that I had hit the deer and punched a hole right thru the neck and commented, “I wasn’t aiming for the neck. I must not have shot as well as I thought. I guess that I just got lucky that time.” Then I gutted mine out & we headed for the truck. It was a very productive afternoon. :)

Now”¦”¦.as Paul Harvey says, “for the rest of the story.”
Saturday, Don & I met up at the property again and hunted the opposite side of the mountain until he got called in to work. (He works road maintenance/plowing) He left & I hunted for a while until I got cold, and then went to the truck to warm up and eat lunch. Don got done working & we met up again and decided to do the same drive as Friday, except he would sit & I’d walk around & over the top of the mountain. I saw a lot of deer, six or seven in one group, and a couple in another group. Later, I saw a few more. The problem is, for some reason they would not go the right direction. Every group of deer would turn & go away from where I was trying to push them. When I got over to Don and asked if any came by he shook his head. Then, he asked me, “When you shot that deer yesterday, were there any others with it?” I said, “Yea, there were two others & a few minutes later a bunch came down further out. Why?” Don replied, “Because there’s another deer laying over there on the road (an old log/quarry road) with a hole in it.” I said, “What, no way!” He headed for the deer & I walked over to the gut pile from the deer that I got Friday. There were two sets of tracks going away from the gut pile. One went out & curved to the right. I followed the other tracks as they curved to the left and went to where Don was now standing near the other dead deer. This deer had a hole in it right behind the left shoulder. That’s exactly where I had aimed when I shot on Friday! As near as I can figure it out, when the deer started to move while I was squeezing the trigger, the one that got hit in the neck must have stepped into the shot. It happened so quick that I didn’t realize what had happened.
"And that's the rest of the story."

That’s two years in a row that I’ve gotten a “two-fer!” :shocked2:

I knew ye was cheap but I'll hand it to you for having the patience to wait in the cold for two to line up. :wink:

Congrats! :thumbsup: A happy ending for sure!

Psssst - Al and Ron: unless you're hunting around a nuclear plant the deer got four legs per. . . not eight. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

How about the rest of the rest of the story... Was the second deer still good or did it spoil?

HD

I didn't get any pic's this time. I had the first one skinned & cut up before I went to bed Friday night. It was only about 24 hours by the time we found the second one Saturday & the temperature never even got into the mid 20's. The meat wouldn't have spoiled that quick.
I was using my .54 again with a Hornady .530 round ball, tick patch & 80gr FFg Goex.

Here's a pic of last year's "two-fer":
Dec15_03.jpg

Good for you :bow: OK I give up...you win :surrender: .. Now hold off till I catch up...I've only done it once... :haha:

Great tale, thanks for sharing.

I've read a number of accounts from the old timers about two-fers, but never any current ones.

Also never knew of anybody makin' a habit out of it... :haha:

Congratulations -

Spot

Latest posts

Back