• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It’s a great day to be in the woods!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
4 weeks ago, I had a heart attack. The dr told my family I should not be here.
Today I went squirrel hunting. No game sighted, but I don’t care. I am grateful for the chance to go.
IMG_8764.jpeg
IMG_8756.jpeg

4 weeks ago, I had a heart attack. The dr told my family I should not be here.
Today I went squirrel hunting. No game sighted, but I don’t care. I am grateful for the chance to go.View attachment 274902View attachment 274903
Wonderful! Get out as often as you can, Kev308. Thanks for posting those great images. I do like the look of a fall forest. We don't see a seasonal change as drastic as that in our Eucalypt and Wattle scrub.

Cheers, Pete

Atta boy, Kev. You have my respect, sir. There's better producing times to be out squirrel hunting, but nothing beats being out there this time of year.

Ya know, if you think about it, we ain't getting any younger and we're a long time dead. So IMO, get out there and do what you like while you still can.

FWIW, just a couple days ago my wife told me that she fully expects to find me dead in the woods some day after not returning from a hunt, for one reason or the other. My reply to her was "I couldn't think of a better way to go". Her reply was, she wouldn't even know where to start looking. I told her "just look for the buzzards and there you will find what's left of me, and I'm good with that".

She was less than impressed with that reply but I meant every word of it.

Last edited:
Atta boy, Kev. You have my respect, sir. There's better producing times to be out squirrel hunting, but nothing beats being out there this time of year.

Ya know, if you think about it, we are not getting any younger and we're a long time dead. So IMO, get out there and do what you like.

FWIW, just a couple days ago my wife told me that she fully expects to find me dead in the woods some day after going out and not returning from a hunt, for one reason or the other. My reply to her was "I couldn't think of a better way to go". Her reply was, she wouldn't even know where to start looking. I told her "just look for the buzzards and there you will find what's left of me, and I'm good with that".

Worse places to die than being out in the woods! That's where I'd rather be

Ya know, if you think about it, we are not getting any younger and we're a long time dead. So IMO, get out there and do what you like.

FWIW, just a couple days ago my wife told me that she fully expects to find me dead in the woods some day after going out and not returning from a hunt, for one reason or the other. My reply to her was "I couldn't think of a better way to go". Her reply was, she wouldn't even know where to start looking. I told her "just look for the buzzards and there you will find what's left of me, and I'm good with that".

Thanks Etipp, I agree with what you said. When the time comes I hope its in the trees on a day like today.
I’m going out again as soon as possible
Thanks
Kevin

Went through the same thing heart attack going on 9 years ago. With 5 stents and a overprotective wife and son doing great! But now dealing with broken ribs and vertebrae from a 15 foot fall this deer season I'm still going strong with thanks to God!!!
Only two for me, for me its a wife and daughter, both being very protective but I can’t say I blame them.
Hope you recover quickly from your injuries!
Good luck
Kevin

Kev:

Go for it! Ten years ago at 59 yrs old I had a "widowmaker." Touch and go for awhile. Was told I would not hunt nor hike again. That was June 30. On November 3rd of the same year, I shot a very respectable 8-point buck. They wouldn't let me drag it, but I was in the mountains where I belonged. Nowadays I drag all my own deer again. 82% full function.

The key to recovery is focus and determination. Do what they tell ya and you will do fine.

ADK Bigfoot

If you carry an iPhone your wife can track you to the exact spot if you have cell service. I know it’s not in keeping with the way we hunt but it’s an easy way for her to have peace of mind. The area I hunt just got service and it greatly reduced my wife’s stress.

If you carry an iPhone your wife can track you to the exact spot if you have cell service. I know it’s not in keeping with the way we hunt but it’s an easy way for her to have peace of mind. The area I hunt just got service and it greatly reduced my wife’s stress.
That's the thing, Billy. At most places I hunt in these mountains there is no cell coverage, so I usually don't carry my cell. Only time I do is if I think I might want to take pics.

I choose to pack light so I don't even carry water when I'm squirrel hunting. Deer hunting I carry a day pack with a military canteen for rinsing out a deer if I get into the pee sack when gutting. I try to save a little bit of water for myself for when I drag out a deer.

Last edited:

Ya know, if you think about it, we ain't getting any younger and we're a long time dead. So IMO, get out there and do what you like while you still can.

FWIW, just a couple days ago my wife told me that she fully expects to find me dead in the woods some day after not returning from a hunt, for one reason or the other. My reply to her was "I couldn't think of a better way to go". Her reply was, she wouldn't even know where to start looking. I told her "just look for the buzzards and there you will find what's left of me, and I'm good with that".

A few years ago a skeleton was found in my area on overgrown property . It was found to have been there for over a hundred years

You can also get tracker tags. You wear one when you go out and she will be able to find you that way.

Latest posts

Back