• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It’s a great day to be in the woods!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 weeks ago, I had a heart attack. The dr told my family I should not be here.
Today I went squirrel hunting. No game sighted, but I don’t care. I am grateful for the chance to go.View attachment 274902View attachment 274903
Glad you’re back on your feet and enjoying the hunt. I went through a similar “widow maker” heart attack 15 years ago. I remember feeling unsure about what my limits would be, and not knowing if I would ever really be able to fully enjoy life outdoors again. All those doubts faded pretty quickly, and now 15 years and 40+ deer later, I’m logging more time in the woods than I ever did. Fresh air and exercise, and pursuing what makes you happy are the best medicine. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Today I went squirrel hunting. No game sighted, but I don’t care. I am grateful for the chance to go.
Today I went squirrel hunting. No game sighted, but I don’t care. I am grateful for the chance to go.View attachment 274902View attachment 274903
Had one four years ago. Mine was due to dehydration making my blood the consistency of log cabin syrup, water borne illness due to almost drowning in a river. Anyway, such events clarify what is important in life, wouldn't you agree?

You can also get tracker tags. You wear one when you go out and she will be able to find you that way.
Oh heck no. That means she could track me to all my girlfriends homes. Or even worse, track me to where I hide all my Kentucky Whiskey. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'd rather die alone in the woods from a rattle snake bite or from being mauled to pieces by a grizzle bear than have that happen.

I'm absolutely fearless, ya know. But when that woman becomes irate, she scares the hell out of me.

Last edited:
It's comforting to see that I'm not the only one with infirmities. I had a small brain stem stroke less than 2 years ago that fried my balance. Add significant arthritis in my legs and I thought I was done in the woods.

While I can't hunt like I used to, and I'm not confident going way back in, I did the therapy for my balance and take the arthritis meds so I can at least hunt. I managed to get back in to some of my old haunts with a group I used to hunt with. Struggled to keep up, but I did it.

I can't imagine not being able to hunt or get in the woods. I hope that day never comes, at least while I'm still lucid.

It's comforting to see that I'm not the only one with infirmities. I had a small brain stem stroke less than 2 years ago that fried my balance. Add significant arthritis in my legs and I thought I was done in the woods.

While I can't hunt like I used to, and I'm not confident going way back in, I did the therapy for my balance and take the arthritis meds so I can at least hunt. I managed to get back in to some of my old haunts with a group I used to hunt with. Struggled to keep up, but I did it.

I can't imagine not being able to hunt or get in the woods. I hope that day never comes, at least while I'm still lucid.
I’m glad to hear you’re still getting out! And I completely agree with what you said about not being able to hunt or get in the woods!

Keep on keeping on!🙂

Atta boy, Kev. You have my respect, sir. There's better producing times to be out squirrel hunting, but nothing beats being out there this time of year.

Ya know, if you think about it, we ain't getting any younger and we're a long time dead. So IMO, get out there and do what you like while you still can.

FWIW, just a couple days ago my wife told me that she fully expects to find me dead in the woods some day after not returning from a hunt, for one reason or the other. My reply to her was "I couldn't think of a better way to go". Her reply was, she wouldn't even know where to start looking. I told her "just look for the buzzards and there you will find what's left of me, and I'm good with that".

She was less than impressed with that reply but I meant every word of it.
Worms got to eat as well as the buzzards…🤣

SPOT Tracking. uses satellite to track. Lots of hikers use it now on the trails. Your wife will feel better about you going out hunting. Glad you’re ok and feeling better. Stay safe.

SPOT Tracking. uses satellite to track. Lots of hikers use it now on the trails. Your wife will feel better about you going out hunting. Glad you’re ok and feeling better. Stay safe.
Thank you. I appreciate the information.

However, still ain't gonna happen. One reason why I go out hunting by myself is to not only get away from people, but to also get away from all the high tech manure that rules us nowadays. And I certainly don't want anything tracking me.

Thus why I seldom carry my cell even if I could get cell coverage in a very few placed up high. Only if I had planned on taking pictures do I carry my cell. I leave that thing in my truck and mostly take pics after I get back from a hunt.

All they years I lived out west in the big mountains I camped by myself and hunted by myself up to a week or longer. My wife knew the general area I was "supposed" to be in, but that could change by as much as 5-10 miles in any direction at any time. It simply depended on what elk sign I was finding, or not finding, and/or weather conditions.

In 2016 I had a triple bypass. They told me to wait 6 mos. before hunting again. There are no deer seasons here in March so I fudged and went hunting 7 weeks after discharge. However, I broke one of the wires that held my chest together while climbing a tree. Luckily, it wasn't a big deal.

Keep on keeping on, brother.

Back