• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issues... and I'm upset !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an old even back then CVA "Kentucky" rifle, percussion, .45 caliber, back around 1988.
I don't know if it was a kit gun or factory finished.
It did have a "Made In Spain" barrel.

It suffered from inconsistant ignition.
I finally got so fed up, I removed the drum and breech plug.

I discovered an old patch in the breach. (so much for "patch pullers" being operational)

After a bit of cursing the prior owner what was stupid enough to leave a patch down the bore, (my cleaning jag never dropped a cleaning patch, so I know it weren't me that dropped it in there.) removing that old patch, cleaning the bore with the breech plug out, cleaning the breech plug and drum, (latter two were put the radiator tank at work that had fresh muratic acid, and boiled over-night) and reassembly, it fired reliably every time.

(Yes. I did re-blue the breech plug and drum after boiling them in muratic acid.)

I agree with the others.
Use real black powder, either FFFg or FFg, not Pyrodex.
For .45 caliber to .72 caliber I prefer FFg.
So do my rifles and pistols.

Last edited:
Back