• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is This the REAL Springfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncmtmike

Passed On
Reaction score
Came across this yesterday,wondering if its authentic? This is the only pic I have so far. Thanks

Musket2_zpsd3f7126c.jpg
[/URL][/img]

If it has "V/P/(eaglehead)" on the barrel breech, "US" on the tang of the buttplate and and the inspector's initials on the left side of the stock, opposite the lock, it's a Model 1861 U.S. Percussion Rifle-Musket. The lock, trigger guard and rear sight look right from this one photo. The other marks mentioned will make additional confirmation more certain. This was the improvement over the M.1855 in that it eliminated the troublesome Maynard priming system, hence the humped up hammer. The total production was around 1,000,000 during the Civil War and surviving original model from Springfields with the original 1861 date are valued 25% above all the contract guns made by known 22 contract makers. Congratulations! Hope the bore and stock or in equal shape.

mtmike, this appears to be a 1861 Colt Special contract rifle-musket as evidenced by the eagle stamping on the lock plate and the 1853 Enfield shape hammer.Is it original? Well it looks to have some age on it!( :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotf: ) But all laughs behind it has 1861 stamped on the lock plate. This could mean one of two possibilities,1) This an original, or 2) that it is a (forgive me :doh:) crusty old 'jucky' reprduction. My feeling is it is original as the Cival War is real. I will leave you with one question how much is it?

It appears to be a standard US M1861 Springfield-made rifle musket. Has the barrel and/or stock been shortened? Are the barrel bands and their springs, nose cap and ramrod still with it?

When you get more pics, please post them, they will tell us more and allow us to help. There is no reason to believe that what we see is not from an original rifle musket.

The hammer is definitely a Maynard tape primer style which was carried over from the Model 1855 Rifle-Musket.

This is a characteristic of the Springfield 1861 US Rifle-Musket.

As a side note, the Colt 1961 Special Rifle-Musket did not have a hammer with the Maynard shape.

True...

This should be an interesting thread. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back