• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield..what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My girlfriend was out antique shopping today and came across this rifle stamped Springfield and a date looks like 1864. The hammer and nipple area are not what I'm used to seeing. Is it straight up from the factory correct or some kind of conversion?
Thanks

Attachments

• 21469.jpeg
    21469.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 21472.jpeg
    21472.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 21478.jpeg
    21478.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 21476.jpeg
    21476.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 0
  • 21480.jpeg
    21480.jpeg
    819.4 KB · Views: 0
My girlfriend was out antique shopping today and came across this rifle stamped Springfield and a date looks like 1864. The hammer and nipple area are not what I'm used to seeing. Is it straight up from the factory correct or some kind of conversion?
Thanks
An early Allin Conversion.
Was made by converting Civil War muskets to breechloaders at low cost.
Musket barrels were shortened at the breech and threaded to take the newly-developed trapdoor action.
The very first ones made were chambered for a .58 rimfire cartridge, but only a small number were ever made.
Soon after, the issued muzzleloading .58 caliber rifled barrels were removed from muskets, reamed out to smoothbore, and relatively thin .50 caliber rifled liners press-fitted and soldered in to convert the guns to .50-70 centerfire.
The finished product became an item of general issue, and was highly regarded as an effective service and hunting rifle for many years.
In 1873, the Army went to the same or similar guns in the smaller .45-70 caliber using all-new barrels, for reasons I won’t get into here, because it is another long story.

I haven't bought it and that's one of the things I'm trying to find out. What's a fair price?
Look at the bolt face. If it's a rim fire, you'll never find ammo or pay dearly for it. 600 to 800$. Wall Hanger. If it's center fire, 50/70 ammo will cost you 150 to 200$ a box if you can find it. 700 to 900$. If it's 45/70, you can shoot off the shelf cowboy ammo for about 50$ a box or load your own as I do for the cost of primers and WallyWorld Pyrodex for virtually nothing. Perhaps 1k if the bore's in good condition. On GunBroker and other sites, they go for 1000 to 1500$ depending on condition. Semper Fi.

Thanks everyone for the reply. Apparently the owner of the store just got it in and hadn't priced it yet. I was thinking between 1000 and 1500 for a 2nd series conversion, looks like I'm in the ball park.

Latest posts

Back