• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this the real deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not an antique 1800's Colt. 1860 Colt serial numbers stopped just over 200000. This Colt seems to be an antiqued 2nd Generation Colt however the serial number 213550 does not show up on Colt.com.

Colt 2nd Generation production restarted the 1800's serial numbers a ways past where Colt stopped in the 1870's.

The highest serial number 2nd Generation Colt's I have or have had were the stainless models made in the last 2nd Generation production and are in the 211000 - 212000 serial range.

https://colt.com/serial-lookup

Last edited:
Jebidiah, did you send the seller the information I posted above?

Seller can easily verify online that the serial number they pictured is higher than the antique 1800's production run.

Agree with erhunter the auction wording is tricky. Good luck to anyone who finds out what they really bought and getting their money back from this seller.

According to Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, the 1860 Colt serial numbers began at 1 and "continued thru about 200500."

As Flayderman's Guide is one of the better guides to antique guns, I'd go with this number as being accurate.

If it does include the stock,,,then the price is about right. It is a third gen, with the apostrophe in the Colt's patent line. To bad somebody has taken steel wool of a scrubbing pad to the finish.

I’d ask for better photos. the top of the barrel and under the rammer as Nit Wit mentioned Looking for any writing.
the price as it is now is probably not bad for a Colt repro with the stock. But if he’s selling as an original.... that’s a bit sketchy Looks too new including the cones. Someone took steel wool or a scotch bright pad to it.

It clearly is not from 1860. GunBrocker just told me via email all bids are binding even in the case of fraud, so I have escalated this complaint up the flagpole.
I think when the more senior muckity mucks at Gunbrocker see this response they will cancel my bid.

It clearly is not from 1860. GunBrocker just told me via email all bids are binding even in the case of fraud, so I have escalated this complaint up the flagpole.
I think when the more senior muckity mucks at Gunbrocker see this response they will cancel my bid.

binding even in the case of fraud? Meaning you feel obligated to send money anyway?
Were you just after the revolver if it was original? BTW... I asked him a similar question but haven’t heard back.

If it were to be what it was advertised to be, what the seller confirmed in an email to me, I would have been interested.

Yes, you read that correctly, GunBroker is currently saying even in the case of fraud, bids are binding, which is ridiculous, and I'm sure will be corrected once it reaches someone with a brain.

I asked them specifically if I could get in on this fraud action too, and asked the specific question of if I could list say 1000 rounds of a rare ammo, then ship them a rock, and would then GB protect me because I was able to entice someone to bid, so can I keep the $ and send them a lump of coal since they were too stupid and took the listing at face value. I'll post their response when there is one.

One thing I learned through all of this. This forum has many established professionals in all fields here, and BEFORE you buy or bid on an item, ask the questions. Not after you have committed to buying. This is one of the best forums for traditional muzzleloaders on the net!

Back