• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this the real deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to and correct my first post in this thread:

It did not occur to my senior brain that subject 1860 may be a 3rd Generation as sold by Colt Black Powder Arms, New York City.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3rd Generations had Sam Colts signature engraved and gold filled on the upper back strap. Sent seller a request for pictures of this back strap area. No response so far.

In my owning various 3rd Generation Colts none had Italian i.d. markings anywhere on them. Do own various Armi San Marcos with Colt barrel and cylinder markings and Italian markings.

Picture 11 shows significant damage to the cylinder bolt lead in notches. It is unknown if the action works properly and I would not rely on this seller to provide an accurate answer.

As to value; here is my opinion:

1860 Colt = $325

Italian shoulder stock = $200

Replica black holster = $ 30

Total = $575

Last edited:
Good news, I've been outbid. As of right now the bid is $1025, so hopefully the high bidder knows what he/she is bidding on.
I am still curious to hear the response from GB about intentional fraud though.

I've seen exactly one original shoulder stock for the 1860 and it was steel, not brass. Does anyone know if they were offered in both?

The gun and stock are clearly not originals. At least it's clear to me.

I've seen exactly one original shoulder stock for the 1860 and it was steel, not brass. Does anyone know if they were offered in both?

The shoulder stock you may have seen made of steel furniture may have been a repro Armi San Marco Dragoon stock made in the mid 70's. All of the Colt originals had brass furniture. The shoulder stock in question is clearly a repro as is the revolver.

Regards,

Jim

This stuff really irritates me. I wrote this seller explaining my background and pointing out all the examples as to why this is a replica. Some of those were correctly pointed out by members here.

I looked at a lot of Colt pistols and revolvers during my museum career. I also debunked my share of fakes. Mostly based on the artifact's alleged provenance to a famous person.

What is really frustrating other than duping an unsuspecting or new collector or shooter, is the fact that even replica cap and ball revolvers are in high demand. If he was just honest with the description and make it clear that it is a replica he would end up selling it for more than what it's actually worth anyway.

Prior to bidding on an auction ask questions of the seller and always take the time to scroll through the seller's feedback and reviews. In this case, the seller has a number of Negative comments. They make for some interesting reading and they tie into deceptive, misleading descriptions. Do your homework before you bid.

Last edited:
OldMaineWoodsMan

You are 100% correct. Lesson learned.
Here is one of my favorites from reading his reviews:

F
linesntines A+(9)

12/25/2020
junk selling son of a gripe, I throw away better than these,sent mostly 7.62 , not 308 like listed, lots are not reloadable
Response (left on 01/07/2021):My mom is a nice lady, thanks.

His contact info is bunk.

Yes, and notice how the return policy is "Unspecified?" Any reputable dealer would offer a three-day no fire inspection period. Especially on something like an original Colt in that condition.

Finally, $25 Ground shipping? Again, a valuable antique firearm would be shipped insured and you would think or maybe even expect overnight.

Just be sure it's not one of the Colt Blackpowder Series.(Modern Colt-marked repros)
3rd generation Colts are considered “real” Colts but obviously nobody is going to pay equal prices for equal condition 1860 NMA revolvers if one is first gen and the other is third gen. First generation revolvers in the condition shown there will bring close to $20,000...

Hah,
Success, I think a certain critical mass of people contacting that seller has finally broken through.
He just added to the description this is a reproduction based on the serial #.

I think what really happened is it was taking too much of his email time to keep getting told the same thing.

Well done.

Hah,
Success, I think a certain critical mass of people contacting that seller has finally broken through.
He just added to the description this is a reproduction based on the serial #.

I think what really happened is it was taking too much of his email time to keep getting told the same thing.

Well done.

i was about to say the same thing. I think a number of us here and probably others contacted him. He changed the description to say it was a repro. More then just the serial number. It was just too new. If that was original he would have had a gold mine on his hands. I’m sure he wasn’t trying to rip anyone off. But he should have checked into it before listing it. I wonder if he bought or traded for it as original. Oh brother......
Glad you got outbid anyway.

Latest posts

Back