• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this normal for #11 caps ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a illustration here. Current production CCI musket caps are garbage because a reenactor, who wasn't wearing glasses, got a piece of cap in his eye and he sued CCI. CCI responded by weakening the caps making them suitable only for blanks.
That’s odd I fired close to 300 CCI Musket caps over this past summer in a Burnside Carbine. No misfires. Old stock maybe.
I will add that a 40 grain 2F powder charge is about all one can fit into a Burnside cone shaped nylon case under a .562 roundball.

That’s odd I fired close to 300 CCI Musket caps over this past summer in a Burnside Carbine. No misfires. Old stock maybe.
I will add that a 40 grain 2F powder charge is about all one can fit into a Burnside cone shaped nylon case under a .562 roundball.

The old production are 6 wing and very good. If you do serious accuracy testing, current production CCI caps aren't the ticket. They'll go bang but when accuracy counts, I'm with RWS or Schuetzen.

I have never had a problem with CCI or Remington caps but know what pieces stuck in my nose or chin is like with some foreign caps. Safety glasses are a must but some like the Italian caps I won at a shoot need a full face shield. I clear the nipples with them but hold the rifle upside down.

Recently read where the HotShot nipples allow more consistent temperatures due to oxygen being sucked into that small hole, creating a better burn in the drum. I have one on a rifle but normal nipples on the others. Either work very well as long as I clear all the oil out of the drum and nipple before loading the charge of powder.

Recently read where the HotShot nipples allow more consistent temperatures due to oxygen being sucked into that small hole, creating a better burn in the drum. I have one on a rifle but normal nipples on the others. Either work very well as long as I clear all the oil out of the drum and nipple before loading the charge of powder.
not commenting on you personally Christphero, but I am completely taken aback that after 60 years playing with muzzleloaders and blackpowder, i find that the sport/lifestyle is so complex!
have never used any special nipples .
have mostly only ever had touchholes with no special hotrod liners.
i am like the saying. "girls(and old men) just want to have fun!".
deliver me from the complex. it's why i have sold all my unmentionables.
ymmv.

The old production are 6 wing and very good. If you do serious accuracy testing, current production CCI caps aren't the ticket. They'll go bang but when accuracy counts, I'm with RWS or Schuetzen.
I don’t do serious accuracy testing, with 80 year old eyes looking over battle sights on a 156 year old gun keeping a hand size group at fifty yards, off a bench, is good enough. The only two gun shops in RI that had musket caps, one tin purchase limit, had 4 wing CCI’s. I’ll certainly be on the lookout for other brands and stock up if possible. 😊

Dave, I have both tins from CCI, the “For Reenactment Use Only” and “For multiple use”, they are both four wing and the latter is much hotter. I fired 10 each in the dark and you CAN tell the difference. I believe that since 2017 CCI is only pumping out For Multiple use but I may be wrong. I am gonna dig some tins up and post a pic. But I agree with you that RWS is the best cap to have, either 1081, 1055 or 1075. The 1075 Plus is a sweetie as well!

bursting is what causes them to fall into the hammer resece after firing. they very seldom stay on the nipple after firing. it is normal, not to worry.

Put your glass on ever time.IWas deer hunting 30 yrs ago fire a cap and load .Cap split hit me on the eye lid if ihad not blink i could have lost a eye.So use your glass you only have one set.

That sounds like an old wives tale.
Dave, I have both tins from CCI, the “For Reenactment Use Only” and “For multiple use”, they are both four wing and the latter is much hotter. I fired 10 each in the dark and you CAN tell the difference. I believe that since 2017 CCI is only pumping out For Multiple use but I may be wrong. I am gonna dig some tins up and post a pic. But I agree with you that RWS is the best cap to have, either 1081, 1055 or 1075. The 1075 Plus is a sweetie as well!

I have a couple tins of the old 6 wings put back. Unfortunately, not enough to warrant serious load development as I'd be out of those caps in short order with no resupply possible so it's RWS and Schuetzen. I'm hanging on to them for trade sweetener.

Latest posts

Back