• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this inevitable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
My ramrod broke during shipping on my pedersoli. I bought a replacement and the jag I marking up the end of my barrels. It's supposed to be an exact replacement for me gun......is this something that's just bound to happen? May be a silly question but she's brand new so every scratch is like a dagger to the heart. It's going to be a field gun so it will get marked up but still....

Attachments

• 17061381292013168982399638238642.jpg
    17061381292013168982399638238642.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 4
My Pedersoli double barrel that I bought new has the same marks on it from the stock ramrod. I wouldn't worry about it. It's just from the brass tip rubbing up against the delicate finish on the barrels

My Pedersoli double barrel that I bought new has the same marks on it from the stock ramrod. I wouldn't worry about it. It's just from the brass tip rubbing up against the delicate finish on the barrels
Thank you so freaking much man you have no idea the stress u just lifed off my sholders.....

My ramrod broke during shipping on my pedersoli. I bought a replacement and the jag I marking up the end of my barrels. It's supposed to be an exact replacement for me gun......is this something that's just bound to happen? May be a silly question but she's brand new so every scratch is like a dagger to the heart. It's going to be a field gun so it will get marked up but still....
Since it bothers you, try a tiny piece of clear tape on the rubbing zone & see if that helps.

Leave it be - it is honest wear:doh:. If you try to remove it you will remove the bluing on the barrels and then you will be MORE stressed out:ghostly:!

It's better that they're tight like that. To loose and the first shot can dislodge it and the second load will at best soot it all up and at worst will try to take it with it..

The only thing I see wrong is the lack of a cross pin to ensure the ramrod tip stays with the ramrod.
1706208615186.jpeg

You have to be careful about "exact replacement" descriptions. The Dixie catalog said that about the ramrod for the Mississippi repro musket; it's actually a full 16th too thin, which doesn't sound like much, but is skinny and loose, and doesn't look at all military. For the cost and hassle of returning it, I didn't bother. It was a waste of money; get a proper size steel rod and work something out somehow, but "exact replacement" the Dixie is not, at least for my Mississippi repro.

You have to be careful about "exact replacement" descriptions. The Dixie catalog said that about the ramrod for the Mississippi repro musket; it's actually a full 16th too thin, which doesn't sound like much, but is skinny and loose, and doesn't look at all military. For the cost and hassle of returning it, I didn't bother. It was a waste of money; get a proper size steel rod and work something out somehow, but "exact replacement" the Dixie is not, at least for my Mississippi repro.
Dude I just went thru this I returned the rod to track of the wolf and by the time I was done I had spent the price of a new rod..... as you said they have rods for the earlier models and mine was the later model version..... -_-

Good news tho I have reserved a range on Sunday to pattern my shotgun

Yours looks worn mine looks scratched lol
If you want to avoid ‘scratches’ keep your new gun packed in bubble wrap and wear clean white cotton gloves when you take it out to look at it. Or maybe put it in a locked display glass case. If you are lucky, no one will steal it. Otherwise, don’t over think things and run it through the briars, let the dog knock it over and stand on it, toss it in the back of your vehicle, you know, use it. Then smile when you get home and clean it up and repair when necessary. Mine has been getting honest wear since 1978. There is a big difference between use and abuse.

If you want to avoid ‘scratches’ keep your new gun packed in bubble wrap and wear clean white cotton gloves when you take it out to look at it. Or maybe put it in a locked display glass case. If you are lucky, no one will steal it. Otherwise, don’t over think things and run it through the briars, let the dog knock it over and stand on it, toss it in the back of your vehicle, you know, use it. Then smile when you get home and clean it up and repair when necessary. Mine has been getting honest wear since 1978. There is a big difference between use and abuse.
Lol I was joking like I said earlier it's going out into the field in a week or so. The first ding is always rough for me

One of my modern guns is known for tossing brass against the side of the receiver and marking it up. On those forums, we have a saying -

"Brass kisses mean you love your rifle and actually use it instead of leaving it in the safe"

Back