• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a way to postpone cleaning a ml?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m guessing you’re joking…. but if not, the bore was filled with Evapo-Rust and soaked for 24 hours or so a couple of times and followed up with some heavy bronze brushing. There is no apparent rifling visible at the muzzle and the bore is as rough as a corncob in my opinion. But if it meets your criteria for nothing being wrong with it, great, though I believe most would be be upset purchasing a barrel in that condition described as nothing being wrong with it. Maybe I’m overly picky and expect too much?
View attachment 236439
Your sarcasm detector is calibrated properly.

I’m guessing you’re joking…. but if not, the bore was filled with Evapo-Rust and soaked for 24 hours or so a couple of times and followed up with some heavy bronze brushing. There is no apparent rifling visible at the muzzle and the bore is as rough as a corncob in my opinion. But if it meets your criteria for nothing being wrong with it, great, though I believe most would be be upset purchasing a barrel in that condition described as nothing being wrong with it. Maybe I’m overly picky and expect too much?
View attachment 236439
perhaps Bobby Hoyt could help this

perhaps Bobby Hoyt could help this
Probably not without a decent replacement percussion breech plug. The only ones I have seen recently are on the wrong side of $100. I would have over $275 into barrel that needs refinishing with no hardware that maybe would sell for $250 all gussied up. If I find a new flint breech plug, maybe. Otherwise it will be repurposed.

Here’s a hip-shot thought … rust requires oxygen to form, right? So what would happen if you put your guns in a sealed container and replaced the air inside with, say nitrogen (or argon, or any other inert gas used at welding shops)?
Putting it in a container and replacing it with an inert gas is easier then cleaning????

When an iron item is entirely submerged in water, it takes several days for the rust process to begin... so, take your barrel off and put it under water in your bathtub. BUT, I clean soon after shooting. My only exception is when hunting for several days, away from supplies, I will reload and wait for another shot, maybe two or three days. Polecat 🦨

In the old days men didn't clean their rifles after every use. They would, however, wipe the bore with a good grease a few times, and pick the touch hole or cone. Bore Butter is a good product for this. Just saturate a patch in bore butter and wipe the bore all the way down and back. Don't forget to wipe the pan and hammer a bit, too. It will keep for days that way.
😂, how many Mountain men could afford bore butter then? Fontenal was charging as much as two blankets, a horse and saddle and a brand new 30 caliber Hawken for one little plastic tube for the stuff
Bore butter, by God if they could afford Bore Butter back then they weren’t going to be getting Rheumatism chasing beaver.
No joke, Meek told a story about his first trip to the mountains and how Sublett regularly inspected the brigades arms. Finding a dirty rifle he told the man to clean it.
Later on checking he found the gun uncleaned and repeated his order. When on a third attempt the gun was still dirty he offered Meek a chance to clean the gun for ten dollars, Meek jumped to it.
The rifle owner thought that pretty funny, till he learned the ten dollars was coming out of his pay
Guns were sold with wipers and wiping sticks was often carried
We know a clean gun is a better shooter, I bet they knew it back then.

One would think that a country that put man on the moon would be able to formulate some product that would allow a ml shooter to postpone cleaning his gun until the next day. Perhaps you fired once, or a couple of times, and want to shoot again tomorrow. Surely there should be a way to swab the barrel once, give the lock and hammer a quick wipe, and then the next day either shoot some more or do a normal cleaning. Any thoughts? Anyone ever try this w/o harming the gun? If so, how did you do it? Please don't reply with "it only takes 15 min to clean", "never use petroleum products", "great grandpa used water and that's good enough for me", etc. I'm seriously trying to see if there could be a way to use something to achieve this. I'm thinking a vapor impregnated reusable bag, a magic corrosion nullifying powder or liquid, etc. Surely some smart chemist out there has experimented and has found a way. Come on you scientist/shooters, sound off.
Ok been doing this for ten years. I swear on a stack of bibles. I shoot 25 shots at monthly shoots. Come home keep gun in case leave inside house and you may wait 24 hours to clean. Side benefits of this procedure fouling dries out and use half the cleaning swabs. Reduces time spent cleaning. No kidding, having said that I use only black powder no pyro or triple 7 nothing but black powder. No bore rusting no pitting you can thank me later

Life happens. Exactly.

You set your gun aside to clean it later and life happens.

After enough life happening and priorities getting in the way, you have a corroded bore.

And the entire world can go screw itself after I'm done shooting. Cleaning my guns are my #1 priority.
If I don't think that I will have the time to clean it up properly then the shooting can wait until I do have the time. Sometimes self restraint sucks.

Ok been doing this for ten years. I swear on a stack of bibles. I shoot 25 shots at monthly shoots. Come home keep gun in case leave inside house and you may wait 24 hours to clean. Side benefits of this procedure fouling dries out and use half the cleaning swabs. Reduces time spent cleaning. No kidding, having said that I use only black powder no pyro or triple 7 nothing but black powder. No bore rusting no pitting you can thank me later
Thanks, Dismount, I believe you. Do you live in a humid area? I'm in SW Ohio and humidity ranges from low to very sticky. I'm sure that air borne moisture plays a big part in this.

All the years I lived and hunted out west, especially when I was up in the mountains on a hunt, I did a fairly good field cleaning with TC #13 bore cleaner and a little oil to the bore. That has always worked just fine until I could get to some soap and water.

Now that I live back east of the big muddy river, even when finished shooting at the range, I still do a quick field cleaning with TC#13 (and sometimes a little oil) until I get home to some soap and water.

The reasoning is simple. What if something happens on the way home and I am not able to clean my ML's? Truck break down, accident, medical emergency, or anything else?

I also find it interesting that after I field clean my ML's with TC#13 and then use some soap and water, the water and patches do, for the most part, come out clean. Very little black crud comes out of the barrel or the flash hole.

To take this one step further, after a good cleaning at home, I always follow up by shooting some air from the breech and out the barrel with my air compressor.

Personally, I do not fancy the thought of leaving my ML over night without cleaning it after it has been shot. I actually get a little nervous while I'm out squirrel hunting when I often take my first shot right after daylight and I'm still up in the mountains by noon. I sometimes stop and talk with friends in that area on the way home so I carry TC#13 and cleaning patches in my truck for just those occasions. At the very least, I carry Windex and gun oil. Anything to stop the corrosion until I can get home and give my ML a proper cleaning.

All the years I lived and hunted out west, especially when I was up in the mountains on a hunt, I did a fairly good field cleaning with TC #13 bore cleaner and a little oil to the bore. That has always worked just fine until I could get to some soap and water.

Now that I live back east of the big muddy river, even when finished shooting at the range, I still do a quick field cleaning with TC#13 (and sometimes a little oil) until I get home to some soap and water.

The reasoning is simple. What if something happens on the way home and I am not able to clean my ML's? Truck break down, accident, medical emergency, or anything else?

I also find it interesting that after I field clean my ML's with TC#13 and then use some soap and water, the water and patches do, for the most part, come out clean. Very little black crud comes out of the barrel or the flash hole.

To take this one step further, after a good cleaning at home, I always follow up by shooting some air from the breech and out the barrel with my air compressor.

Personally, I do not fancy the thought of leaving my ML over night without cleaning it after it has been shot. I actually get a little nervous while I'm out squirrel hunting when I often take my first shot right after daylight and I'm still up in the mountains by noon. I sometimes stop and talk with friends in that area on the way home so I carry TC#13 and cleaning patches in my truck for just those occasions. At the very least, I carry Windex and gun oil. Anything to stop the corrosion until I can get home and give my ML a proper cleaning.
Respectfully, if using muzzloaders made me feel that anxious I'd sell up.
Sorry.

Use triple seven. If Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett knew about 777 they would have been using it. Its a propellant, thats all black powder is, using a better cleaner one doesn't make you a sinner.
Horse pucky . That junk doesn’t work in a flinter.

Last edited:
Who is the 1st person to come up with this dumb as rocks mentality of, "if they'd a had it, they'd a used it" that gets used as some kind of reasoning? Can we track that person down and damage their ability to reproduce? Might need a time machine as it's probably too late.

Do we have nothing available today we won't or don't use?

Muzzleloading is worse than religion when it comes to dogmatic adherence to what one was told once upon a time, "the law."
There is at least one, and probably two or three, other topics running right now wherein several people have chimed in with real world experience, often showing their results,,,, but those who dogmatically adhere to their mythical "law" still will not stand down, or present real world counter-evidence.
Maybe some folks need to take a break to think about how they view things,,,, put the ego and dogma aside, maybe actually look at some evidence and examples with an open mind, listen/read with the intent to understand not just to respond.

I have a tube made of 8" PVC and 58" long. On one end I capped it and made a small hole where a cord runs through. That hole was then sealed. The cord is the power for a Golden Rod. The other end is a threaded cap and has 3- 1/64 holes in it. This contraption lies on the floor under the sofa in the gun room, out of the way. I plug it in, put the barrel, or sometimes whole gun in it along with a Moisture Remover from the Dollar Store, or a Damp Rid if I can't find the Moisture Remover. Put the cap on. I've left guns in there for a week sometimes because I just couldn't clean them since something came up. I also take this on the road in the pickup bed or RV when travelling. The rod and Moisture Remover do what they are supposed to - remove any moisture. Without humidity, there is not an environment for rust to form. When I get to them, the guns are dirty but never rusted. If I have just one gun and a few spare seconds, I will run a patch of WD40 down the barrel and wipe down the outside before putting in my contraption.

Muzzleloading is worse than religion when it comes to dogmatic adherence to what one was told once upon a time, "the law."
There is at least one, and probably two or three, other topics running right now wherein several people have chimed in with real world experience, often showing their results,,,, but those who dogmatically adhere to their mythical "law" still will not stand down, or present real world counter-evidence.
Maybe some folks need to take a break to think about how they view things,,,, put the ego and dogma aside, maybe actually look at some evidence and examples with an open mind, listen/read with the intent to understand not just to respond.
AMEN! My hat is off to Brokennock. My pet peeve is the number of people who obviously never take the time to read the op's initial question, so their replies are based on the few most recent replies in the thread. Here's an example, the op begins with a question about breakfast cereal, it morphs into oats, and that becomes a treatise on mistreating horses.

I have a tube made of 8" PVC and 58" long. On one end I capped it and made a small hole where a cord runs through. That hole was then sealed. The cord is the power for a Golden Rod. The other end is a threaded cap and has 3- 1/64 holes in it. This contraption lies on the floor under the sofa in the gun room, out of the way. I plug it in, put the barrel, or sometimes whole gun in it along with a Moisture Remover from the Dollar Store, or a Damp Rid if I can't find the Moisture Remover. Put the cap on. I've left guns in there for a week sometimes because I just couldn't clean them since something came up. I also take this on the road in the pickup bed or RV when travelling. The rod and Moisture Remover do what they are supposed to - remove any moisture. Without humidity, there is not an environment for rust to form. When I get to them, the guns are dirty but never rusted. If I have just one gun and a few spare seconds, I will run a patch of WD40 down the barrel and wipe down the outside before putting in my contraption.
AMEN! Here is the answer I have been looking for. Sparkitoff has real world success. While some on this forum might doubt him, I surely don't. Yes, I'm going to duplicate his pipe setup and try it out. Thank you for the info!!

Sometimes if I get too lazy to clean my blackpowder rifles, pistols, revolvers..., I'd hose down them with WD40 until I can get to them for a good cleaning later.

Back