• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First ML Barrel Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all....spent the day getting introduced into the world of ML by a couple of fine chaps near Birmingham, AL...got to shoot their cap rifles and found it very interesting and fun...peppered them with many questions and they were patient with a noob...Last evening went to an antique ML show in NW Alabama and came home with one I never expected...Knight Wolverine that hasnt been shot for 15-20 years though it appeared to be in fine condition; wanted to take it with us to the guys today but I thought it was best to give it a thorough cleaning first...glad I did as the nipple was well clogged with rust. So my question is...I've only had newer rifles prior and cleaned them with Hoppes #9 gun bore cleaner and lubed with Break Free Synthetic gun oil...so used both on the knight barrel....is that ok? I got the impression from chatting with the guys today that there was some cleaner/lube products that were not good with Black Powder.
Thanks for your comments.
Tom

You may not get much input from folks here as this is a traditional muzzleloading forum and nontradtional/ modern guns are frowned up on by most.

That said, use whatever you want to clean rust and crude from a neglected bore but completely clean and dry the bore with rubbing alcohol and dry patches before shooting. Petroleum products and black powder don't mix well. Most clean their BP guns with hot water or hot soapy water after shooting. Your bore can rust in as short as a few hours to a few days if not cleaned after shooting . You may try our sister site Modern Muzzloaders for more help.

Back