• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the Kibler SMR light and whippy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine (still not shot) is a .40 and it holds as good as any (including unmentionables). I believe the extra length helps with whippy, whatever than means. To me it means whip it around fast for a quick shot and in ANY kind of brush that aint likely to happen with a rifle just shy of ur height!

I have helped friends build Jim's rifles and I call them perfection.

The oldtimer was probably a serious target shooter. Most good target shooters I know (especially the older ones) like a gun with a little weight and especially a little weight at the muzzle. It does help the gun hold steady for serious off hand shooting. I have a custom Leman rifle that fits that description and is probably one of the best shooting off hand rifles I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a few over the years. As far as the Kibler I have one in .40 and though personally I haven’t found it to be the best gun for serious paper punching, it works great back in the woods shooting gongs and squirrels. For squirrel practice I usually shoot at a 2” steel gong at 15- 20yds or so and have zero problem hitting it consistently. I’ve shot steel targets slightly smaller than the size of a rabbit out to 80-90yds. Off hand. I believe for me the bigger issue is the way I see the sights and not the weight. I don’t think you’ll have any problem with a .36

As said already, the perception of a rifle being light & whippy is subjective. Depends on a shooters size, upper body strength, and shooting experience. I have both the .45 and .36 Kibler SMRs. They both shoulder fine for me and I have no complaints on either. However, at my (old) age I can definitely feel the difference between the ever so slightly heavier .36 over the .45 but it's not a problem.

I had an old timer tell me a long time ago, that SMR's were too light and whippy, hard to hold still. He believed that you needed a little heft to shoot accurately. For those that have them, How do they feel? The .45 Kibler seems pretty doggone light, though I've never held one. Considering one for small game, probably in .36, but this gent's words kind of haunt me.
From what I can learn of the SMR it was designed as a rugged, no nonsense meat and potatoes rifle that one could stake his life and hair on to work when needed. The focus was accurate function not shine, gawd and ego stroking !
They are my favorite style and their adornment is wood grain, fit , shape/architecture and low shine/luster finish meant for stealthy business ! When built right they are light, nimble , balance well and come to shoulder with smooth movement and sights ruffly aligned ready for ball send.
Rifles with all the crow bait charms and fish lure shine seem egocentric nonsense to me then as well as now.
From the Kiblers I've seen on here it looks like Jim pretty well nailed and reproduces the character and reason they were invented.

I was a bit nervous when I ordered my SMR .40 that it was going to be too small for me, being a bigger guy (tall more than anything). I have a little trouble with the sights being pretty low, that’s my only complaint. Otherwise it is one of the smoothest, prettiest rifles in my collection. For being a “smaller” caliber, I think it really wallops the steal plates on my range. So much fun to shoot.

There were two classes of Appalachian rifles in the 1830s-1850s, general purpose guns for carrying in the field, and heavy chunk guns made to shoot over a log in matches. Just like in the 20th century to today, most people would rather carry a light .22 sporter than a heavy .22 Winchester 52 target gun. Light long rifles are a pleasure to carry in the woods and shoot. A 12 lb rifle is not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back