• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR ordered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I puller the trigger and ordered a Kibler SMR in 45 Cal and Cherry stock (an early Christmas present to myself)). I've read great things about Mr. Kibler's kits and am looking forward to receiving it and getting started on the gun. Anybody have an idea on how long it take to receive one ?
I've never worked with cherry wood and have hear it can be more difficult to work with as compared to maple.
I'll be adding a small Bean style patch box and lollipop toe plate, both in steel, which I've ordered from Muzzle loader Building Supplies. I'm also considering installing a nose cap. Does anyone have the specs for the width across the flats at the muzzle of a barrel used for the Kibler SMR in 45 Cal ?
Also if anyone has installed a nose cap on a Kibler SMR or have built the SMR in Cherry and can you give me any tips it would be appreciated. .

You will like the 45 SMR from Kibler's. I have one in 45 and one in 36, great guns, great kits. On Saturday I received my 54 cal. Woods Runner kit. Undoubtably the most complete kit Jim has put together. It came basically "in the white". The new SMR come a lot more completed than the ones I got a few years ago. A friend of mine got a 45 SMR kit a few weeks ago and it took him about 10 days to put it together and be shooting it. He did a very nice job on it, and it was his first build.

About two weeks ago I puller the trigger and ordered a Kibler SMR in 45 Cal and Cherry stock (an early Christmas present to myself)). I've read great things about Mr. Kibler's kits and am looking forward to receiving it and getting started on the gun. Anybody have an idea on how long it take to receive one ?
I've never worked with cherry wood and have hear it can be more difficult to work with as compared to maple.
I'll be adding a small Bean style patch box and lollipop toe plate, both in steel, which I've ordered from Muzzle loader Building Supplies. I'm also considering installing a nose cap. Does anyone have the specs for the width across the flats at the muzzle of a barrel used for the Kibler SMR in 45 Cal ?
Also if anyone has installed a nose cap on a Kibler SMR or have built the SMR in Cherry and can you give me any tips it would be appreciated. .
I couldn't say how long your wait may be, but I ordered one of his SMR quick ship blem kits in cherry and got it within a week of ordering. I haven't worked with maple except for a few knife scales, but the cherry hasn't been too bad to deal with. My cherry stock is pretty dense, but I took a lot of pains inletting the patch box. Just keep your chisels extra sharp and everything will be fine. I added a toe plate also and would like to do a nose cap but I think it will be tricky since there isn't much wood to work with. There is another member that did a nose cap and it was exceptional work so you might try the search bar to have a look at his. I finally got around to engraving my patch box today, but it still needs to be cleaned up a bit. Hope I helped.

I tried the jacks black they sell for barrels, and in my experience it was not good. I sanded that stuff off, and used birchwood paste cold blue. That was 100 times better but also wore off pretty quick around the touch hole.

I couldn't say how long your wait may be, but I ordered one of his SMR quick ship blem kits in cherry and got it within a week of ordering. I haven't worked with maple except for a few knife scales, but the cherry hasn't been too bad to deal with. My cherry stock is pretty dense, but I took a lot of pains inletting the patch box. Just keep your chisels extra sharp and everything will be fine. I added a toe plate also and would like to do a nose cap but I think it will be tricky since there isn't much wood to work with. There is another member that did a nose cap and it was exceptional work so you might try the search bar to have a look at his. I finally got around to engraving my patch box today, but it still needs to be cleaned up a bit. Hope I helped.
After thinking about it, I decided not to install a nose cap. As you said, 'there isn't much of wood to work with'. Plus, my inletting skills are not the greatest. they're good enough for a toe plate of a patch box. but, i believe installing a nose cap on a kibler SMR is another level.

After thinking about it, I decided not to install a nose cap. As you said, 'there isn't much of wood to work with'. Plus, my inletting skills are not the greatest. they're good enough for a toe plate of a patch box. but, i believe installing a nose cap on a kibler SMR is another level.
Yep. I was going to do molding lines down both sides of the stock from the third thimble to the nose but decided against it. I just did them from the toe plate to the trigger guard.

I have my Kibler SMR Kit. 😊 All I can say it's the most compete kit I've seen. Plus the packing is amazing. They even included a few scrap pieces of Cherry for me to practice on.
Their customer service and turn around time, order to deliverer, in fantastic.
I ordered it on Nov 1, got an E-mail for Lorie on Nov 15 that my kit was ready to ship. I was going to be out of town and asked Lorie if she could hold off shipping because I didn't want the packing crate sitting on my front porch for a week. Lorie at Kibler is the best. She held it and shipped on Nov 29, it arrived in 2 days on Dec 1.
Now all I have to do is stop traveling for work so I can start on it. That's going to happen the end of this month. Retirement baby !

I have my Kibler SMR Kit. 😊 All I can say it's the most compete kit I've seen. Plus the packing is amazing. They even included a few scrap pieces of Cherry for me to practice on.
Their customer service and turn around time, order to deliverer, in fantastic.
I ordered it on Nov 1, got an E-mail for Lorie on Nov 15 that my kit was ready to ship. I was going to be out of town and asked Lorie if she could hold off shipping because I didn't want the packing crate sitting on my front porch for a week. Lorie at Kibler is the best. She held it and shipped on Nov 29, it arrived in 2 days on Dec 1.
Now all I have to do is stop traveling for work so I can start on it. That's going to happen the end of this month. Retirement baby !
Congratulations on both your SMR & retirement!!!

Back