• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Irish Brown Bess Manufacturers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems that I yet again need some help. I recently heard about Irish Brown Bess muskets and I saw one particular model ( a third model type 2, made after 1809) and wondered what Irish manufacturer it could have been made by. I've only heard of Dublin Castle as a manufacturer but I wanted to know if Dublin was the only place where India Patterns were made, and if not, does anyone know the names and locations of any of these manufacturers?
Cheers T4M :thumbsup:

How is this third model marked? I am aware of First Model Long Land Pattern muskets marked "Dublin Castle". The third model land pattern muskets were made for the East India Company. Naturally when the British Government needed muskets to deal with the threat from Napoleon, The third model was used. I don't know if they were assembled or marked "Dublin Castle".

Ok translating that to English I take it you meant to say India Pattern Type 2 ,see what I can dig up.

Well, what I can make out from the pictures:
-The barrel has faint proof markings on it, they just look like regular ones to be honest.
-On the stock near the sideplate it seems to say ''L.R'' and something which looks like ''GR'' though sort of looks like a butterfly.
-On the left side of the butt is ''GR'' under a crown.
-On the other side of the butt is the date 1831 under something I can't make out, maybe another crown? Or maybe a number?
On the buttplate is a faint marking which the info about the musket says is an Antrim registration mark from the 1840s.
That's all I can really see from the pictures, there's nothing on the lock or anywhere else apparently. Sorry about the lack of info but I hope something can be found out about it... :hmm:
Cheers in advance. :thumbsup:

Also, to be honest, Dublin Castle is the only manufacturer I have heard of that made Brown Bess muskets in Ireland. Do you think that would narrow down the possibilities to just this one manufacturer, or would there be some lesser known maker/ makers? :idunno:

hello
Dublin Castle was not manufacturing, only indicates that the gun had been tested and then acquired by the government. It's the same thing was happening with the Tower in England. Only minor possessed workshops (The Minories), but the barrel and lock were produced by individual dealers, some of them in Belgium. The barrel and other parts were tested in the Tower (possessed its own test) and then were acquired and marked (GR, TOWER, broad arrow)
Greetings. Fernando

Thanks and sorry,
I was in a bit of a pickle over where the musket in question could have been produced and the markings definitely indicated Irish origin. But cheers for that bit of info. :hatsoff:
T4M

Fernando K said:
hello
Dublin Castle was not manufacturing, only indicates that the gun had been tested and then acquired by the government. It's the same thing was happening with the Tower in England. Only minor possessed workshops (The Minories), but the barrel and lock were produced by individual dealers, some of them in Belgium. The barrel and other parts were tested in the Tower (possessed its own test) and then were acquired and marked (GR, TOWER, broad arrow)
Greetings. Fernando

Interesting info on the Irish Ordnance establishment. It is not nearly as easy to find info on the Irish Establishment as the Tower Establishment. Actually, I've found more on the Portsmouth Ordnance Board for Small Arms than for the Irish Establishment.

Gus

Back