• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a nice original 1777, but are you inferring it was used at the Alamo? Or just that it was displayed there as you mentioned? The purchaser should buy it for the fact that it's a nice original 1777, but it being on display at the Alamo doesn't add value in my book.
No not used in Alamo, at least no proof it was used. It was indeed displayed there.

Man, what an adult helpful comment I sure appreciate it. This forum seems to be the epitome of professionalism. Glad I came here seeking help from “professionals”.
Your disaster of a post in the classified section set the tone. You obviously didn’t read or ignored the classified rules.

No serious firearm related forum (modern or blackpowder) allows people to run an auction in their classified section. While you don’t think it’s a big deal, other forum members do.

In regards to your Brown Bess. It’s your property, dispose of it as you like. The Alamo can easily purchase a replacement. It’s not like your Brown Bess has a special “provenance” with the Alamo. It’s not like it’s Jim Bowie’s Brown Bess.

No not used in Alamo, at least no proof it was used. It was indeed displayed there.
Just a suggestion that you might want to only mention the Bess was displayed at the Alamo to the Auction House to show provenance of ownership. (That and where/when your Dad originally purchased it, for the same reason.) I would definitely not mention it in the description of the gun for the sale catalogue.

Otherwise, high end collectors might hold back from bidding because they know no such early examples of Brown Bess's were used at the Alamo. The Mexican Army was equipped with later "India Pattern" Brown Bess Muskets they bought surplus from England after the Napoleonic Wars.

I am not a high end collector, but am privileged to know a fair number of them and that's why I'm offering this advice.

Gus

Your disaster of a post in the classified section set the tone. You obviously didn’t read or ignored the classified rules.

No serious firearm related forum (modern or blackpowder) allows people to run an auction in their classified section. While you don’t think it’s a big deal, other forum members do.

In regards to your Brown Bess. It’s your property, dispose of it as you like. The Alamo can easily purchase a replacement. It’s not like your Brown Bess has a special “provenance” with the Alamo. It’s not like it’s Jim Bowie’s Brown Bess.
You’re right. I should’ve read the rules.

If the Alamo likes it so much, why not offer to sell to them after a professional appraisal?

You may also consider consulting with a tax attorney about the effect of a charitable contribution to a museum (like the Alamo) on your tax situation.

Man, what an adult helpful comment I sure appreciate it. This forum seems to be the epitome of professionalism. Glad I came here seeking help from “professionals”.
This forum is full of overweight, overripe old men who squeeze into thier buck skins and squeeze off a few groups at a 50 yd range and like to think thier mountain men. They way they complain has me convinced there all HOA board members

Last edited:
This forum is full of overweight, overripe old men who squeeze into thier buck skins and squeeze off a few groups at a 50 yd range and like to think thier mountain men.
and likely some skinny, underripe man-children who stay squeezed in their deluded world thinking others believe they have wisdom, experience and valid opinions. The way they complain has me convinced they are all woke school board members with man buns.

Offer it back to the Alamo at the price you decide on and see what they say , They didn't to loose it maybe they would want it back .
What I don't get is why the Alamo foundation put a Brown Bess in the display case that could not have possibly been used at the Alamo as it was much too early? This even if it was on free long term loan?

They could have gotten and still can get a correct India Pattern Musket for a much cheaper price and have something that is at least period correct for the historic Battle.

Gus

This forum is full of overweight, overripe old men who squeeze into thier buck skins and squeeze off a few groups at a 50 yd range and like to think thier mountain men. They way they complain has me convinced there all HOA board members
Not to mention their poor grammar.

Hi,
Assuming the musket is what it appears to be (hard to tell for sure unless it is in my hands for examination), the real value is as a relatively intact pattern 1777 and one assembled at Dublin Castle. I repeat, if it has not been diddled with, it is a rare piece and any speculation of an Alamo association is inconsequential.

dave

Back