• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Carbine, Chrome Plated?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen photos of a Brown Bess Carbine, appears NOT to be India made, stock looks like common Italian make, lock plate marked 'TOWER' with several 'proof mark' looking marks at the breech. No other marks like Made In Italy, Black Powder Only, etc., etc. nor SN. Anyone ever seen such an animal? It may possible coming up for sale and until I can see it in person, I'm curious if anyone else has seen similar. Thanks. It's modern-made unfired. The photo is not close enough to "read" the "proof marks" at the breech and tang. Does not look like one of those 'dummy' guns, appears to have touchhole.

Last edited:
If it’s really chrome plated, it must be a parade gun. But if the manufacturer offered it as an option, I don’t know. I think maybe that I saw a chrome plated Bess in a very old navy arms catalogue?

Should I get to see this in person, I'll report back. It seems to have proof marks like would have been on an original, but I can't tell yet. It possible could be for sale, which has me interested. Bess carbines seem to quicken the blood of muzzle loading shooters and re-enactors! :p Your mention of an old Navy Arms catalog is interesting. BTW, I have a nice solid Navy Arms-marked Zouave. There were many "Z's" assembled and sold under different names, and the quality varied quite a bit, including wood fit, etc. I've had about 3, but this one currently is the keeper. Nicely fit and solid.

Are you sure the bess wasn't in the White rather than nickle
The entity that has it says rust is appearing from beneath the chrome in spots, and it appears chrome, but I must see in person. Thanks. Just wondered if there was a "Bi-Centennial" sort of thing? I'll be sure once I can see personally. Thanks,

If it’s really chrome plated, it must be a parade gun. But if the manufacturer offered it as an option, I don’t know. I think maybe that I saw a chrome plated Bess in a very old navy arms catalogue?

Chrome is these days only for restored vehicles, but in the 1980's there were lots of places that would re-chrome bumpers, side mirrors, etc. So YES likely it was a parade piece, and they simply sent it out to have it chromed. Probably did the same thing to the bayonet. Would've been pretty cheap to do back then.
I've seen photos of a Brown Bess Carbine, appears NOT to be India made, stock looks like common Italian make, lock plate marked 'TOWER' with several 'proof mark' looking marks at the breech. No other marks like Made In Italy, Black Powder Only, etc., etc. nor SN. Anyone ever seen such an animal? It may possible coming up for sale and until I can see it in person, I'm curious if anyone else has seen similar. Thanks. It's modern-made unfired. The photo is not close enough to "read" the "proof marks" at the breech and tang. Does not look like one of those 'dummy' guns, appears to have touchhole.

IF you can send a photo of the lock, we'd likely be able to tell if it was Pedersoli, Miroku, or Indian made.

LD

Chrome is these days only for restored vehicles, but in the 1980's there were lots of places that would re-chrome bumpers, side mirrors, etc. So YES likely it was a parade piece, and they simply sent it out to have it chromed. Probably did the same thing to the bayonet. Would've been pretty cheap to do back then.

IF you can send a photo of the lock, we'd likely be able to tell if it was Pedersoli, Miroku, or Indian made.

LD
Definitely doesn't look India. Stock is not typical India, looks just like Italy. I have to get over to see in person. Parade piece sounds about right, maybe Bi-Cen. I can't post photos, simply don't have the equipment and use a library computer! I'm pretty backwards, which may be typical of muzzle loaders!:p Will "report back" when I know more, it's nice to be able to float a question here and have experienced feedback on stuff. Thanks. If I can get this item, I will strip and stain/oil stock as has number of small dings, and maybe can get the chrome "reverse de-plated"? if that's a thing. Lock is marked Tower, not Grice.

If I can get this item, I will strip and stain/oil stock as has number of small dings, and maybe can get the chrome "reverse de-plated"? if that's a thing. Lock is marked Tower, not Grice.
Naw I don't think taking off the chrome is a good thing for a barrel. IF you're lucky the guy merely polished the heck out of it then covered it with car polish or even clear paint if it was just parade only.

IF it says "tower" it's likely a Miroku. Probably a good gun if you can get it.

LD

Naw I don't think taking off the chrome is a good thing for a barrel. IF you're lucky the guy merely polished the heck out of it then covered it with car polish or even clear paint if it was just parade only.

IF it says "tower" it's likely a Miroku. Probably a good gun if you can get it.

LD
Hmmm. Miroku is good! We'll see. Thanx for the tip!

most times the india guns look like chrome. highly polished
True. But the stock & fittings don't look India at all. It does appear that some sort of coating or plating is on it, and the description I got says, spots of rust appearing under plating; but, time will tell! Thanks.

Are you sure the bess wasn't in the White rather than nickle
Doesn't appear to be, but I'll "report" back when I can see in person. Funny how some of the old-time Bi-Cen stuff shows up now and then after sitting for a half century, if indeed this is a Bi-Cen thing. I had such a good time during 75-85 that I'm nostalgic for the excitement the public had for the 200th, before everything was polarized and "woken"!

Latest posts

Back