• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms lock and barrel swapping.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love it. It’s been a while but eBay was a good source for cheap muzzleloading parts. No more, prices are crazy and I see stuff just not moving nowadays…
Those folks on EvilBay have lost their minds. I did just break down and buy a lock off there and sorely regretted it. From now on I'll exercise patience and wait for what I need to pop up on here or hope I stumble across some hens teeth somewhere local.

Just did that. Started out with a percussion GM .62 barrel for a TC Hawken that I stuck on a Renegade stock. One thing led to another then another and now I have the stuff to switch back and forth between Flint .54 and percussion .62 smoothbore on a Hawken stock I didn't have to begin with.
Who bored it out to .62?

I have a Lyman trade rifle in a 50 caliber flint that I purchased new in late 70's. I switched it to percussion several years later by purchasing a Investman arms used lock and installing a drum. Very easy no inletting work. 4 years ago, I purchased a 36 caliber Cabela's barrel off of Ebay. and installed in 50 caliber Investman arms 50 caliber I had picked up used. Don't even remember where or when. Perfect fit. Converted Lyman back into flint to hang on wall. Reinstalled original percussion lock on to my new 36 caliber for squirrel hunting. All stuff can be swapped.

The Investarms made cap locks will fit in the flint lock mortise.
Investarms cap lock barrels geometry will fit the lock, with-in your question, IF the barrel is made for the stock.
A Hawken is a Hawken, a Great Plains is that,
T/C and Investarms are not a direct swap/drop-in fit!
It can be done, but there are modifications that may need to be made. Geometry is close, It's the barrel fit to the stock that's issue.
* The hook/tang of Investarms vs T/C are a little different needing file work to be compatible.
* Position of and thickness of the front wedge vs the barrels under lug,,
* The breech overhang of the lock plate is different.
All that said, any modification will void all warranty.

Point is, Yes, folks have been swapping parts out for decades, but it's not always plug-n-play.
If yer handy, check the archives of other section of this forum that tend more towards your questions of modification or building.
you forgot o mention the notch in the investarms snail isn't the same as the t/c and accordingly the bolster on the lock plate isnt the same but they can be worked with also t/c never made a hawkin barrel in 15/16" in 54 cal so a lot of people adapt a investarm barrel to their t/c

I have a Lyman trade rifle in a 50 caliber flint that I purchased new in late 70's. I switched it to percussion several years later by purchasing a Investman arms used lock and installing a drum. Very easy no inletting work. 4 years ago, I purchased a 36 caliber Cabela's barrel off of Ebay. and installed in 50 caliber Investman arms 50 caliber I had picked up used. Don't even remember where or when. Perfect fit. Converted Lyman back into flint to hang on wall. Reinstalled original percussion lock on to my new 36 caliber for squirrel hunting. All stuff can be swapped.
Inv. makes 2 distinctly different Hawken rifles with different locks and barrels. I think the carbine version uses a different lock yet so 3 if that's the case. Most stuff can be swapped but not all.

I’m aware.

I actually just found a flint barrel for a Lyman Trade rifle that I’m going to make use of. If need be I’ll get a different breech plug installed if I get it converted to a smoothie

The lugs on a GPR barrel are sorta welded on I think. I tried to remove one with a torch thinking it was soldered but got nowhere! OTOH, I had one that simply broke off.

Oh man I’d love a .36 barrel for small critters.

Any guidance on how to improve the set trigger?

It’s clunky as hell and won’t fire at all unless set

Can I just replace it with a single trigger?

of course you can replace it with a single trigger .......but why its more to get a single trigger to function properly in a gun that was made to work with a set trigger then it is to properly get a set trigger made for the gun in question to work properly. does the lock function properly without the trigger installed? does it function out of the stock? these are the questions that need to be answered first

of course you can replace it with a single trigger .......but why its more to get a single trigger to function properly in a gun that was made to work with a set trigger then it is to properly get a set trigger made for the gun in question to work properly. does the lock function properly without the trigger installed? does it function out of the stock? these are the questions that need to be answered first

Yeah lock works fine its a stock Investarms trigger.

Front trigger contacts the sear but seems to run out of leverage when attempting to fire unset. Unable to de-cock without using the set trigger as well.

I had replaced the original fly and sear as both had visually seemed worn. It’s quite possible that has something to with it.

Back