• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting cap jam solution for open top revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at vintage percussion cap tins by Eley, they had different types than the double waterproof available, but the thing that stands out with many of them is what we may have taken as advertising hype rather than actual specific intended use, the term Im referring to that shows on so many tins is "Made expressly for Colts Pt belt and pocket pistols". Another one that TOTW has as a repro states " Eley's Superior Anti Corrosive Caps, Warrented Neither to Miss Fire or Fly to Pieces"

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...n5Ku4CA&bih=561&biw=1242#imgrc=Tz9RMbKKw0huzM
My overall feeling is its probably a combination of the original hammer slots being smaller, perhaps other manufacturing or mechanical differences, and the type caps used that reduced cap jams to a great degree when the Colts percussion pistols were in common use. Once they fell from common use, there wasnt much incentive for cap makers to make Colt specific caps any longer. People still used various percussion guns for sporting use on into the 1900s, so caps never went completely out, just the variety fall off, and we're stuck with the generic caps for all uses now. The cap post or rake is a useful work around, and seems to largely eliminate the issue, its just too bad we cant get proper caps for the Colt type guns.

Are the 1860 Colt 2nd Gen similar to the original or the Italian reproductions in this regard?

No, the 2nd gens (as well as the others) are all typical 70's /80's guns. Short arbors et al.

Mike

Looking at vintage percussion cap tins by Eley, they had different types than the double waterproof available, but the thing that stands out with many of them is what we may have taken as advertising hype rather than actual specific intended use, the term Im referring to that shows on so many tins is "Made expressly for Colts Pt belt and pocket pistols". Another one that TOTW has as a repro states " Eley's Superior Anti Corrosive Caps, Warrented Neither to Miss Fire or Fly to Pieces"

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...n5Ku4CA&bih=561&biw=1242#imgrc=Tz9RMbKKw0huzM
My overall feeling is its probably a combination of the original hammer slots being smaller, perhaps other manufacturing or mechanical differences, and the type caps used that reduced cap jams to a great degree when the Colts percussion pistols were in common use. Once they fell from common use, there wasnt much incentive for cap makers to make Colt specific caps any longer. People still used various percussion guns for sporting use on into the 1900s, so caps never went completely out, just the variety fall off, and we're stuck with the generic caps for all uses now. The cap post or rake is a useful work around, and seems to largely eliminate the issue, its just too bad we cant get proper caps for the Colt type guns.
so 150 years ago they knew how to make better caps

Are the 1860 Colt 2nd Gen similar to the original or the Italian reproductions in this regard?
I do not know. I was always under the impression that the 2nd generation colts were parts made in Italy and assembled and finished by Colt.

I meant that I have never yet experienced a cap jam bad enough to bind up the revolver to the point where I could not continue to fire it (without having to resort to tools and/or disassembly)
I totally agree with you.

Hmmmmmm. Makes you wonder if it really happens . . .

I guess if someone has never had an accident in a car, they don't happen?
Never broken a spring cause springs (apparently) don't break?
Trigger pull out of the box was excellent on all mine (so all triggers are excellent?) . . .

I drive a 1988 car . . . they haven't made any cars since then . . . have they? Lol!!!

Mike

If you go to Duke Frazier's You Tube channel there is a video "Cap Jams In History" where he describes information provided by Eras Gone Bullet Molds. If memory serves me, the older original caps were about .014 thickness while modern ones run about .005/06. So the old caps were almost three times thicker. I believe the thinner caps are the cause of most of our modern cap sucking issues.

If you go to Duke Frazier's You Tube channel there is a video "Cap Jams In History" where he describes information provided by Eras Gone Bullet Molds. If memory serves me, the older original caps were about .014 thickness while modern ones run about .005/06. So the old caps were almost three times thicker. I believe the thinner caps are the cause of most of our modern cap sucking issues.

Howdy William P,

.014 WOW. I'm experimenting now with different materials to make caps out of. The recommended free souce, Aluminum cans I have been finding are .0035 to .004 per my micrometer. The make your own cap's die set from 22LR Reloader starts to get difficult to use with pretty much anything I've tried above .005 thickness. I have made some experimental .003 thickness caps out of pure copper sheeting as well, It will be interesting to see how they fare. I've recently made some .005 caps out of brass sheeting. I have good hope for them! They are a lot harder than either the cooper or the aluminum can material. There is a little bit of skill involved with making the caps, with different materials, the correct hammer blows, etc. Some luck too. I'm a bit picky, so - I only keep the good ones. These caps made out of copper or brass are lovely, and look perfectly vintage sitting on the nipples in any c&b revolver. I'll be doing a little live fire testing soon... perhaps I'll make a video of it.

That's very interesting. Is this .014 cap thickness refer to in the "Cap Jams in History" the size of the caps that were actually used during the civil war?

I just file the sharp edges on the hammer slot. Problem solved. Something the manufactures should do when making revolvers.

Latest posts

Back