• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap Speed Capper PART 1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you are like me, you are always looking for inexpensive alternatives to different ways of doing things.

Capping at blackpowder revovler is not any different. My idea is not an original one but inspired by the gentleman that produced the video on shooting paper cartridges out of a cap and ball revolver.

I'm not going to get into paper cartridges but before you read any further watch the video below. Watch how he caps the revolver starting at 0:45. Then I'll explain how to make and use your own speedy cappers.

Inspired by his video, I started my quest to make the cheapest and most reliable speed capper around. Below are 200 speedy cappers that I made for less than $3.00. You are looking a 400 #10 caps ready to load.

Speed Capper (1).jpg

I bought some cheap clear vinyl tubing at Lowes. I think a 20 foot roll coast me around $3.00. You need to get the tubing that has an inside diameter of .170 inches.

Speed Capper (2).jpg

The next thing you want to do is cut the tubing to a little over 1 inch lengths. It's okay to go longer but never shorter or you will have trouble capping the revolver later. My speedy cappers average about 1 1/8 inches.

Speed Capper (3).jpg

Now you don't need to be told how to insert the caps into the tubes but I found an easier way to save your finger tips.

Get yourself a primer tray AKA primer flipping tray. RCBS makes them and they are not very expensive.

Speed Capper (4).jpg

Set the tray down with the bottom part on the bottom. That's the part that has the ribbed concentric circles.

Then shake out about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tin of percussion caps into the tray. You will be tempted to use more but don't as you will have a heck of a time keeping everything separate. Too many caps and you will also have trouble getting them open side down in the next steps.

Just empty 1/4 to 1/3 of the caps into the tray without regard to getting them upright.

Speed Capper (5).jpg

Next you will need to gently shake the tray. I found it better to keep the tray level while shaking. Do this by keeping the tray on a smooth flat surface and shake gently.

You will notice that as you are shaking the tray, the caps will rotate so that the open end will face up. There will be a few that refuse to rotate open end up. You will have to place them open end up one at a time.

Speed Capper (6).jpg

After you are done shaking the tray and up-righting a few of the stubborn caps, your tray should look like this. And yes, the majority of the caps will congregate in one corner but don't worry about that.

Speed Capper (7).jpg

Now take the lid and place it on the tray. Keep in mind that this primer tray was meant for use with modern primers. They are shorter than the percussion caps. So you will have to be careful when pacing the lid over the primers.

Speed Capper (8).jpg

I can't show you a photo of the next step because I was taking the pictures with my smart phone. This next step requires you to make sure that the lid is level on the tray and that you will be able to hold both pieces together without tipping the caps or letting them shift.

So, with both hands flip the tray over so the lid is now on the bottom. When you remove the tray that is now on top, you should be rewarded with the sight of all the caps with the open end on the smooth surface of the lid.

Speed Capper (9).jpg

By now you are probably getting an idea of how easy this is going to be but don't stop reading yet. Get one of your tubes and place it over one of the caps.

Then start pressing the tube onto the caps.

Speed Capper (10).jpg

I'm told that I cannot upload more than ten photos. This ends part 1 of this thread. I'll get part 2 up shortly.

I believe you can post your 2nd batch of pictures to this thread in separate post.
If you decide to do that and this post of mine is in your way, feel free to ask a mod to delete my post.

Back